Samsung Galaxy S24 Family Thread

Associate
Yes also worth noting that as others have shown on youtube, it's only a bug with vivid mode, essentially you're getting the same output as natural when selecting vivid,which is why people are saying it looks washed out vs the S23 Ultra which has a working vivid mode.

All of my phones are/were set to Natural mode though hence not seeing any colour difference between them so this issue isn't something that affects those of us using natural mode for the most accurate colours.
Fully agreed and I really like the colour profile as it is , previous vivid modes were not accurate and far too bright on certain colours like red which didn't reflect reality

Soldato
Fully agreed and I really like the colour profile as it is , previous vivid modes were not accurate and far too bright on certain colours like red which didn't reflect reality
Then that's fine, natural mode isn't the issue. Its vivid mode isn't working correctly and there are a lot of people who like that extra colour and not bothered about accuracy.

Last edited:
Soldato
Couple of days in now - battery life seems excellent and phone seems really good compared to my S22U.

Meelie Mobile accepted my S22U @ £380 and got £150 for the watch from Envirofone so means I managed to get into the S24U for £444 so pretty chuffed with that.

Is anyone here affected by the grainy screen issue? My phone is grainy at very low brightness.

Nope no issues at all on that front.

Soldato
Couple of days in now - battery life seems excellent and phone seems really good compared to my S22U.

Meelie Mobile accepted my S22U @ £380 and got £150 for the watch from Envirofone so means I managed to get into the S24U for £444 so pretty chuffed with that.

Nope no issues at all on that front.

Do you think they'd knock down the price of the S22U much from if the camera is turned on there is like a small translucent grey circle on the screen that appears to either be dust under the lens of camera defect but only appears to effect the 1x camera.

Last edited:
Soldato
Do you think they'd knock down the price of the S22U much from if the camera is turned on there is like a small translucent grey circle on the screen that appears to either be dust under the lens of camera defect but only appears to effect the 1x camera.
Not sure - you'd have to risk it and see. Mine did have 2 tiny tiny little chips around the metal camera lens edge where the case didn't cover around the lens fully (literally smaller than 0.5mm on both) and they accepted it but it didn't affect the actual camera at all whereas yours does. I think the issue there is that if dust has got under, it was either there during manufacturing and should have been sent back or the glass has liftied away slightly and allowed dust to get in which is a bit more major.

It might be worth you seeing how much it would be to get the camera glass replaced as a repair- if it was £30-50 for example, it might gain you more than that on trade in but again you'd have to work it out.

Soldato
@Slackworth
Well I went to a company called iSmash they replaced my screen, metal bezels, battery, and the problem occurred after this, however they won't repair it and insist as the replacement parts "renew" samsung warranty I have to go to Samsung repair which is closes trafford center, and as such will have to send it off, either way without a phone, and at this point I just want this phone to bu**** off, the camera has always been crap on this phone and the defect is the nail in the coffin I want a better phone and not to be stuck in for 36 months.

I was going to switch to iPhone for the "it just works" stuff and the pretty good camera on the 15 Pro Max, then the S24 Ultra hype was catching me, but the thing that put me off Samsung was all the niggles, problems with cameras, and lo and behold the same theme with the S24 Ultra, and yes software updates are promised and do make improvements but I just feel that it never gets fully rectified.

Last edited:

W50

W50

Associate
@Slackworth
Well I went to a company called iSmash they replaced my screen, metal bezels, battery, and the problem occurred after this, however they won't repair it and insist as the replacement parts "renew" samsung warranty I have to go to Samsung repair which is closes trafford center, and as such will have to send it off, either way without a phone, and at this point I just want this phone to bu**** off, the camera has always been crap on this phone and the defect is the nail in the coffin I want a better phone and not to be stuck in for 36 months.

I was going to switch to iPhone for the "it just works" stuff and the pretty good camera on the 15 Pro Max, then the S24 Ultra hype was catching me, but the thing that put me off Samsung was all the niggles, problems with cameras, and lo and behold the same theme with the S24 Ultra, and yes software updates are promised and do make improvements but I just feel that it never gets fully rectified.
At present the camera isn't that great on the S24u Vs the S23u, so we're in the usual state of affairs with Samsung, waiting to see if a software update fixes everything!

Soldato
At present the camera isn't that great on the S24u Vs the S23u, so we're in the usual state of affairs with Samsung, waiting to see if a software update fixes everything!

I'm on the S22 Ultra, I feel like my S20 Ultra, S10+ had issues too, prior to that the cameras were just generally mediocre with no glaring issues if I remember rightly.

My S22 Ultra was garbage with anything movement related as far as taking pictures went, some guy on HUKD is banging on about how the S22 Ultra is great as he's reviews them etc.. but with a flagship phone you expect excellent performance from the get go without having to tinker your whole life with it and use pro mode and learn to be a full on proper photographer to the point you decide let's just scrap this and get a full on DLSR or mirroless or whatever tech in the "photofile?" is the in thing.

Last edited:

W50

W50

Associate
I'm on the S22 Ultra, I feel like my S20 Ultra, S10+ had issues too, prior to that the cameras were just generally mediocre with no glaring issues if I remember rightly.

My S22 Ultra was garbage with anything movement related as far as taking pictures went, some guy on HUKD is banging on about how the S22 Ultra is great as he's reviews them etc.. but with a flagship phone you expect excellent performance from the get go without having to tinker your whole life with it and use pro mode and learn to be a full on proper photographer to the point you decide let's just scrap this and get a full on DLSR or mirroless or whatever tech in the "photofile?" is the in thing.
My first Samsung phone was the S7 Edge and then the S10. I guess things were more simple back then and we were happy with pretty much anything! I had the S21u and then skipped the S22u to the S23u.
The S21u had camera concerns and most were ironed out with software updates, the same with the S23u from memory.
I am just surprised that there hasn't been more emphasis on the camera quality this time round. I feel as though it's been overshadowed by the whole vivid / natural debate.

Soldato
My first Samsung phone was the S7 Edge and then the S10. I guess things were more simple back then and we were happy with pretty much anything! I had the S21u and then skipped the S22u to the S23u.
The S21u had camera concerns and most were ironed out with software updates, the same with the S23u from memory.
I am just surprised that there hasn't been more emphasis on the camera quality this time round. I feel as though it's been overshadowed by the whole vivid / natural debate.

I think the cameras is if not THE most critical, one of the most critical points on a phone. And the noise and motion issues continuing just seems odd.

Soldato
In all honesty, with same camera hardware and just different periscope lens, how much better can they make photos compared to last year.

Processing might be better with new SoC but then also no reason it shouldn't trickle down to S23U either.

Soldato
In all honesty, with same camera hardware and just different periscope lens, how much better can they make photos compared to last year.

Processing might be better with new SoC but then also no reason it shouldn't trickle down to S23U either.
Better is what not what I’d be looking for.. it should always be easy to use and trustworthy. I can only compare to my 15 pro which I’m now back to and it just sorta does well in all scenarios. May not be best at everything side by side but rarely will I have a picture that genuinely isn’t usable and needs to go straight to trash. Whereas on s24u I must’ve binned 50% of the shots I took because of blur or bad focus. Not good enough.

My argument is always the same. If apple and google can get it right, why can’t Samsung?

Last edited:
Soldato
My argument is always the same. If apple and google can get it right, why can’t Samsung?

Yeah despite always going back to Samsung, I'm generally not a fan of their processing on the camera front.

Scene optimiser is always off as that oversaturates like crazy and most of the time finding myself sliding exposure slider down as everything is too bright.

iPhone is probably still the one for point and click shooting without doing any tweaking.

It's when you start tweaking or editing files from RAW Expert where Samsung starts to shine but that's a whole step not even I can be bothered with sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom