*** The Official Boxing Thread ***Do Not Discuss Illegal Streams

Soldato
What it boils down to is Nagannou should have had 10+ pro boxing matches before fighting elite boxers.

His defence is not good enough for elite boxing.
From what little I saw he didn't show AJ much respect (in terms of boxing) and paid the price.

Reactions: fez
Soldato
From what little I saw he didn't show AJ much respect (in terms of boxing) and paid the price.

Think he bought into his own hype regarding his chin. What were they saying, been kicked, elbowed in small gloves etc in the head and never been rocked or dropped. Sure he said it himself.

Probably felt fury’s pillow fists and thought, these big gloves / my chin against smaller gloves pretty much makes me invincible in a boxing ring.

Soldato
Can't stop it after the second knockdown. He beat the count and showed the ref what he needed to see.

He needs to go back to mma now. We should see the fury fight for the anomaly that it was. He would get stopped by many many heavyweights currently inside the various top 10 rankings.
Ref can stop the fight anytime he thinks a fighter is incapable of defending himself, it was obvious he was done even though he beat the count, it makes the sport look ridiculous and unnecessarily dangerous when a fighter gets sparked out like that unnecessarily. Really it shows the stupidity of MMA fighters getting in the ring with world class heavy weight boxers but as long as people are willing to pay for these no contests on PPV then they will keep happening.

Last edited:
Soldato
Think he bought into his own hype regarding his chin. What were they saying, been kicked, elbowed in small gloves etc in the head and never been rocked or dropped. Sure he said it himself.

Probably felt fury’s pillow fists and thought, these big gloves / my chin against smaller gloves pretty much makes me invincible in a boxing ring.
He certainly won’t make that mistake again, the shot AJ finished him with was brutal. People forget just how hard all the guys at this level hit until you see someone sparked out like that.

Soldato
What it boils down to is Nagannou should have had 10+ pro boxing matches before fighting elite boxers.

His defence is not good enough for elite boxing.

Would 10 fights be even close to enough? I don’t think it would. Realistically 10 fights is going to take the best part of three years and a shed load of money and/or commitment.

Associate
Ref can stop the fight anytime he thinks a fighter is incapable of defending himself, it was obvious he was done even though he beat the count, it makes the sport look ridiculous and unnecessarily dangerous when a fighter gets sparked out like that unnecessarily. Really it shows the stupidity of MMA fighters getting in the ring with world class heavy weight boxers but as long as people are willing to pay for these no contests on PPV then they will keep happening.
How was it obvious is what I'm asking. I've just rewatched the second knockdown and I don't see how the ref can stop it after that.

Associate
AJ put himself back on the map when you compare the Fury fight, Nganou is one step up from the quality of the Jake Paul’s of the world, the heavyweight division becoming a circus

Last edited:
Soldato
AJ put himself back on the map when you compare the Fury fight
Nah both fights were a farce and should be treated that way.

When you are talking AJ and Fury they will always be on the map because of the media hysteria.

Would still like to watch them box though (each other!) :p

Associate
Nah both fights were a farce and should be treated that way.

When you are talking AJ and Fury they will always be on the map because of the media hysteria.

Would still like to watch them box though (each other!) :p
I think a focussed and well prepared Fury destroys AJ. The problem is Fury seems to have lost the desire, he’s head doesn’t seem to be in the right place

Soldato
I think a focussed and well prepared Fury destroys AJ. The problem is Fury seems to have lost the desire, he’s head doesn’t seem to be in the right place
Really not interested until they sign the dotted line, and even then only when they are on the ring walk.

Still, I would like to see it, not going to lie right.

But the hype and surrounding BS reached and breached saturation, for me at least, a long time ago by now.

Soldato
I’ve always said AJ beats Fury and I believe it now more than ever.

The fact that lesser skilled and not as hard hitting fighters like Pajkic and Cunningham can drop him has always made me think AJ would stop him.

I’m going to have to eat a lot of humble pie of Fury goes on to beat both Usyk and AJ but I just don’t see it happening

Soldato
I’ve always said AJ beats Fury and I believe it now more than ever.

The fact that lesser skilled and not as hard hitting fighters like Pajkic and Cunningham can drop him has always made me think AJ would stop him.

I’m going to have to eat a lot of humble pie of Fury goes on to beat both Usyk and AJ but I just don’t see it happening
I think a lot depends on which version of Fury you get, on his day he is an incredibly talented boxer and has shown himself to be really durable in the ring but if you get the Fury from his last fight he gets his backside handed to him on a plate by a top tier opponent.

Soldato
I think a lot depends on which version of Fury you get, on his day he is an incredibly talented boxer and has shown himself to be really durable in the ring but if you get the Fury from his last fight he gets his backside handed to him on a plate by a top tier opponent.

I think we have to accept the herky jerky Fury we saw under Peter Fury is long gone. Ever since his 2 year drug ban/mental health episode and he weighed in like a hippo he’s legs aren’t what they used to be, which is why the match up with Sugar Hill was good as now he started sitting on his punches a bit more.

When he was light on his feet he was bizarrely fast and mobile for a heavyweight. Now his top half is fluid but his legs aren’t as mobile as they used to be. Though he looks to be in good shape judging from him being sat ringside so maybe he can return to that form. He has abused his body and not lived the life though and that catches up to you at some point. He’s not getting younger.

He’s not exactly faced stellar competition leading up to Usyk. Wilder 3 times (who I have never rated. You can probably go back a few years in this thread way before Fury fought him and I was saying he was rubbish) and it’s hard to not look good in front of Whyte and Chisora. Then he went and made hard work of a boxing debutant.

Add into that he has a harder time with smaller and mobile fighters, I’m not seeing a good night for him on the cards…

But he proved me wrong agaisnt Wladimir (still wanted to see the rematch though) and the first Wilder fight so there is a chance it’s fury being fury and he proves me wrong again. I just see it 60/40 in favour of Usyk.

Last edited:
Soldato
The ref tells you at the start 'defend yourself at all times' I guess he did not listen.
I'm not sure Francis consciously thought, I know, I just walk into a bomb from AJ with no guard. He wasn't with it at all, it wasn't a lack of boxing skills, he was just barely conscious.

It's the refs responsibility to look after fighters who can't defend themselves. I don't think it's outright wrong that he continued to walk into that knockout, but there's a case that it could have been stopped before.

Associate
If it would’ve been stopped after that 2nd knock down and Francis standing, can you imagine how people would be saying it was a fix?
There would've been a lot of controversy that wouldn't have done anyone and the sport any good. The same happened with Froch Groves 1. Terrible stoppage that warranted a rematch, in which Groves ultimately ended up getting ironed out in a big way anyway.

Back
Top Bottom