Oven not getting up to correct temperature

Soldato
Since we had a power cut (2 power cuts within a few mins) our oven isnt heating up correctly.

It gets to maybe 130c then doesnt get any hotter.
The fan does come on, light comes on and grill is working fine.

I've bought and fitted a new heating element (same part no.) and its doing the same.
It might be the thermostat that needs replacing, but would like to reset it first if possible as replacing the thermostat looks like quite a big job (take the temp control dial off, remove oven door, remove open from fitted units, unwire, replace)

Does anyone know if thermostats on electric ovens can be reset or any other reason its not getting up to temperature?

Oven is build into fitted units and is an AEG COMPETENCE B2190-1

Soldato
have you tried the cheaper option of changing the oven door seals?

also a pizza stone base placed in the oven really does help it get hotter quicker..

mine buggs the hell out of me as it takes 20 mins to get to 200c, but reading online that's expected... I tend to air fry now a days when possible.

Soldato
OP
have you tried the cheaper option of changing the oven door seals?

also a pizza stone base placed in the oven really does help it get hotter quicker..

mine buggs the hell out of me as it takes 20 mins to get to 200c, but reading online that's expected... I tend to air fry now a days when possible.
Pretty sure its not the oven door seals. Something happened after the power cut that seems to have triggered some safety thing or maybe reset the thermostat.
I stuck it on 250c yesterday for 30 mins and could tough the inside metal without it hurting too much.

If it was on 250 for 30 mins and working, id have to move my head quickly when opening the oven door.

Same, we use an air fryer all the time but the oven is used for pizza, baking and xmas dinner / large meat cuts like lamb.

Soldato
OP
If you are not an electrician, I would get someone to come out and look at it

This is an option, but quite costly.

AEG offer a Fixed Price Repair - £169.00 (one off payment)

Benefits of Fixed Price Repair:

• Repair carried out by an Electrolux approved expert engineer
  • No additional surprise repair costs
  • Reliable and professional service
  • Genuine Electrolux spare parts used
  • 3 month repair guarantee - if the same fault re-occurs in that time, we’ll arrange for an engineer to re-visit you at no additional cost
  • If, on the rare occasion, your appliance can’t be repaired, we’ll give you a promotional discount from Electrolux off the cost of a new appliance (minimum £75.00) if purchased directly from us in addition to a partial refund of £89.00

The other option is a £500 for a new oven - AEG 6000 SteamBake Pyrolytic Self Clean Oven. (one of the cheapest) We have not altered the blueprint for the size specifications for our oven range. All of our ovens should fit in suitably in your current space please follow the below link to view the wider range:

Soldato
OP
If you are not an electrician, I would get someone to come out and look at it
Why specifically? My dad has changed just about every part in his oven and isnt an electrician. He actually did most if not all of the electrics in his house.

Caporegime
Why specifically? My dad has changed just about every part in his oven and isnt an electrician. He actually did most if not all of the electrics in his house.
yea your allowed to do quite a lot your self as long as you consider yourself competent, some works you need to get an electrician to sign off though, and they might not like signing off someone elses work.

Fixing appliances though is mostly a doddle, unless its a new belt on a clothes dryer, those those things are evil to get on without the proper tool, and instead trying to use a screw driver to lever the super tight fit, almost impossible belt on :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Soldato
OP
does it thinks it's got to temperature ? and light goes out
if not could it be thermal cut-out that is interceding on the element heating circuit ...
I did see this - https://shop.aeg.co.uk/cooking/cook...overheat-protection-thermostat/p/140018026033

That fits my part no. (944181735)

I've ordered this thermostat - https://shop.aeg.co.uk/cooking/cookers-ovens-hobs/thermostats/oven-thermostat/p/3890770237

Associate
All good until something goes wrong, I've read about a few builders who were not qualified electricians who ended up in jail for not completing the work correctly, plus I'm sure the house insurance wont pay out if your house burned down through an a faulty repair.

Soldato
How many elements does your oven have?
My AEG has 3 per oven and some settings use more than one element to warm it up.
Have you tried some other modes, like turbo grill, does that get the oven hot?
Maybe you have more than one faulty element, have you measured their resistance?

Soldato
AEG offer a Fixed Price Repair - £169.00 (one off payment)

Benefits of Fixed Price Repair:

• Repair carried out by an Electrolux approved expert engineer
  • No additional surprise repair costs
  • Reliable and professional service
  • Genuine Electrolux spare parts used
  • 3 month repair guarantee - if the same fault re-occurs in that time, we’ll arrange for an engineer to re-visit you at no additional cost
  • If, on the rare occasion, your appliance can’t be repaired, we’ll give you a promotional discount from Electrolux off the cost of a new appliance (minimum £75.00) if purchased directly from us in addition to a partial refund of £89.00
how much had you paid, into pot, for element
plumber who serviced boiler said better to go for fixed priced repair (£250 he suggested) deals than ongoing maintenance contract .. and, consider if it would be cheaper to cut potential losses, on it,
£169 if I had exhausted my diagnostic capability doesn't sound too bad.

easy said retrospectively - I try to get parts & attempt repair within 14days to send them back if they are not needed.

why doesn't uk have this right to repair .. where I stand a chance of getting service manuals though.

Back
Top Bottom