Oven not getting up to correct temperature

Soldato
Since we had a power cut (2 power cuts within a few mins) our oven isnt heating up correctly.

It gets to maybe 130c then doesnt get any hotter.
The fan does come on, light comes on and grill is working fine.

I've bought and fitted a new heating element (same part no.) and its doing the same.
It might be the thermostat that needs replacing, but would like to reset it first if possible as replacing the thermostat looks like quite a big job (take the temp control dial off, remove oven door, remove open from fitted units, unwire, replace)

Does anyone know if thermostats on electric ovens can be reset or any other reason its not getting up to temperature?

Oven is build into fitted units and is an AEG COMPETENCE B2190-1

It certainly sounds like the thermostat, but a power cut should not affect it. If you call someone out, that's the first thing they will replace so it would be a good saving to do that first.

Soldato
OP
Heat element is replaced (£15)
Thermostat is replaced (£48)
Still the same issue.

Element comes on and heats up a bit but then the thermostat triggers and turns it off after a couple minutes at maybe 120c.
Looks like its an AEG one fixed price job.

Soldato
So the people that do, don't need any electrical training or qualifications to work on home appliances?
They do not need to be qualified electricians, it’s a completely different job.

You do not need any permits to work on your own appliances except in a few circumstances. For example, you can’t fiddle with gas and most refrigerants because the former is very dangerous and the latter is very harmful to the ozone if it escapes (some are also explosive like gas) but that’s about it.

Soldato
Still the same issue.

Element comes on and heats up a bit but then the thermostat triggers and turns it off after a couple minutes at maybe 120c.
Is there a sensor that maybe is there to detect overheating of the oven that is maybe triggering a premature shutdown?

Last edited:
Soldato
Still the same issue.

Had an issue with my electric oven not heating, wife had cleaned it and knocked the thermocouple off the bracket so it was touching the back of the oven rather than suspended in free space with a shiny metal clip. Clipped it back in and worked fine after.

Long shot... But worked for me.

Last edited:
Soldato
how much had you paid, into pot, for element
plumber who serviced boiler said better to go for fixed priced repair (£250 he suggested) deals than ongoing maintenance contract .. and, consider if it would be cheaper to cut potential losses, on it,
£169 if I had exhausted my diagnostic capability doesn't sound too bad.

easy said retrospectively - I try to get parts & attempt repair within 14days to send them back if they are not needed.

why doesn't uk have this right to repair .. where I stand a chance of getting service manuals though.
Tried manualslib.com?

Soldato
OP
Had an issue with my electric oven not heating, wife had cleaned it and knocked the thermocouple off the bracket so it was touching the back of the oven rather than suspended in free space with a shiny metal clip. Clipped it back in and worked fine after.

Long shot... But worked for me.
We replaced the thermostat yesterday, unless the thermocouple is something else.

Soldato
he gave model in first post - one element - specific service manual not available; linked, thermal cut-off on similar models that maybe last possibility.

if he can see the cut-off, think I would disable it temporarily to see if that is the problem (whilst running the oven when out of cavity !)

restrospectively he could probably have done some electrical meter measures on element & thermostat to reduce chance of replacing a good part £45 thermostat isn't cheap.

Soldato
There's three elements, not one. Grill, rear ring and bottom element.

OP has not indicated whether he can obtain heat in "turbo grill" mode for instance.

Not sure what mode he is using, perhaps just the fan oven?

Still haven't heard if he rung out each element and what ohms value he obtained.

Back
Top Bottom