Poll: Official 2024 Chinese Grand Prix Race Thread - Shanghai International Circuit - Race 5/24

Rate the China race out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
For him maybe, however George doesn't appear to be having quite the same issues...
I think it's down to the significant difference between them. George drove a boat of a Williams for 3 seasons for him, finding one set up that works over the weekend and sticking to it is his approach.

Lewis, because, of the brilliant Mercedes that he drove would always be tweaking his setup to squeeze out as much performance as possible - but safe in the knowledge that the car was always still good enough to do well.

Right now, the Mercedes is a bit on the crap side so it's just not working.

Let's not forget that Lewis finished 3rd in the drivers standings last year, comfortably ahead of George. I don't think either of them are happy with the car, especially when you've got McLaren really showing them up right now.

Soldato
Yeah it is kind of a shame when a team drops away so much. Merc definitely have the capability to change and adapt a car. If you remember 2021, they were actually chasing Max a lot of the season and brought Lewis back into it and made it go to the wire, by introducing big upgrade packages. I think just in this ground effect era, they have struggled so much.

I think back to when Merc dominated from the start of the hybrid era and I'm trying to remember now off the top of my head why they were dominant then. I thought it was because they turned up on day 1 with a complete revolutionary engine design that no other team had thought about, where they encompassed the turbo/s inside of the V shape of the engine block so that the turbine was more inline and efficient, or something like that? I think the engine packaging allowed a more compact solution whilst also being more efficient and powerful. So being smaller the cars aero design could be more efficient as well. But....that all being said, I thought the other teams cottoned onto that and were able to make similar designs for the following year? But the dominance lasted for the entire era for Merc really so was it just the jump at the start that got Merc ahead or in other areas that they excelled in?

Soldato
Did not watch the race but all I can say is I think Lewis has timed his move away from Merc just right, they seem genuinely lost with these ground effect cars.
You would’ve thought they’d at least improve each year since the ground effect regs but it doesn’t seem to be the case.. Even the zero side pods car won a race! (Can’t remember how lucky that was if I’m honest..) But when your customer cars are beating you, you know there’s an issue.

Soldato
Yeah it is kind of a shame when a team drops away so much. Merc definitely have the capability to change and adapt a car. If you remember 2021, they were actually chasing Max a lot of the season and brought Lewis back into it and made it go to the wire, by introducing big upgrade packages. I think just in this ground effect era, they have struggled so much.

I think back to when Merc dominated from the start of the hybrid era and I'm trying to remember now off the top of my head why they were dominant then. I thought it was because they turned up on day 1 with a complete revolutionary engine design that no other team had thought about, where they encompassed the turbo/s inside of the V shape of the engine block so that the turbine was more inline and efficient, or something like that? I think the engine packaging allowed a more compact solution whilst also being more efficient and powerful. So being smaller the cars aero design could be more efficient as well. But....that all being said, I thought the other teams cottoned onto that and were able to make similar designs for the following year? But the dominance lasted for the entire era for Merc really so was it just the jump at the start that got Merc ahead or in other areas that they excelled in?
Those were the days when Mercedes engines were the most powerful, and their customer engines weren't. Until the FIA changed the rules and Mercedes had to supply customers with the same engines and weren't allowed to have their magic mappings, or controlled from the pit lane.

It goes to show that not everything is just down to science and physics but also luck can play a huge part. Who knows Mercedes might just find that second they need to be up there with the front runners, however they have a hard job to do and they could quite easily fall further back down the grid in chasing it.

Last year Mercedes had a better race car, thus Lewis was able to capitalise on it, this year the car has become more unpredictable. But you don't hear George complaining as much as Lewis is, I almost expected him to say GP2, GP2 in the race :D

Soldato
But you don't hear George complaining as much as Lewis is, I almost expected him to say GP2, GP2 in the race :D

GP2? Did I miss something?

George not complaining? ;) He does plenty of it. He's quite the moaner about other drivers actually.
All drivers complain. As said above, they like to air Lewis being stroppy more than others.
It's well known that they go with different setups. That time that George said he thought the setups were largely the same, was throwing shots at Hamilton deliberately. George has quite the nerve to say that given his results vs Lewis last season. He really should be more humble.

Soldato
Let’s be honest. As he’s on the way out he’s probably privy to less info as time goes on. (Not that the current Mercedes information will be useful to Ferrari… :o ) and does he really want to knock his pipe out whilst driving round in an at best 4th place car?

Soldato
GP2? Did I miss something?

George not complaining? ;) He does plenty of it. He's quite the moaner about other drivers actually.
All drivers complain. As said above, they like to air Lewis being stroppy more than others.
It's well known that they go with different setups. That time that George said he thought the setups were largely the same, was throwing shots at Hamilton deliberately. George has quite the nerve to say that given his results vs Lewis last season. He really should be more humble.

Since they've been teammates they both finished ahead of each other once and so far this season George is ahead of Lewis. In that time George also managed 1 GP win keeping Lewis behind and 1 sprint win.

Man of Honour
OP
I see Aston Martin are reporting they'll have some upgrades for the front end in Miami; wonder what difference that'll make to the car's already decent performance.
Stroll to get the new parts first; here's the images from the wind tunnel:

Whats-App-Image-2024-04-23-at-13-52-44-ad1ed545.jpg

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Associate
My point being that George has done as well as and arguably better than Lewis since they've been teammates so don't see why he should be humble
Now those are some rose tinted glasses. Lewis thoroughly outclassed George last season and the second half of 22, if it wasn't for a lot of bad luck with safety cars in 22 then Lewis would likely have been ahead on points. Lewis has had a bit of a bad start to this season, but you can't read too much into it because he's leaving and won't have access to as much information as George, plus he sometimes doesn't do great at the start of the season anyway.

Last edited:
Soldato
Now those are some rose tinted glasses. Lewis thoroughly outclassed George last season and the second half of 22, if it wasn't for a lot of bad luck with safety cars in 22 then Lewis would likely have been ahead on points. Lewis has had a bit of a bad start to this season, but you can't read too much into it because he's leaving and won't have access to as much information as George, plus he sometimes doesn't do great at the start of the season anyway.

Its been pretty even between Hamilton and Russell since Russell joined. Hamilton had edged it but given that Hamilton hasn't beaten Russell in a single race this season, I make it they're about even again overall.

I also don't get how Hamilton leaving changes his performances? His attitude yes, but his ability to race? No.

Doesn't have as much info as George? What does info about the future car have to do with the car he's driving this season? Sounds like an excuse to me.

Doesn't do great at the start of the season? Again just excuses really.

Associate
Its been pretty even between Hamilton and Russell since Russell joined. Hamilton had edged it but given that Hamilton hasn't beaten Russell in a single race this season, I make it they're about even again overall.

I also don't get how Hamilton leaving changes his performances? His attitude yes, but his ability to race? No.

Doesn't have as much info as George? What does info about the future car have to do with the car he's driving this season? Sounds like an excuse to me.

Doesn't do great at the start of the season? Again just excuses really.
If your driver is leaving for the competition next season and you're not competing for wins or championships, then it's likely you'll give them as little information as possible so that they don't just transfer that knowledge to your rivals, even if it compromises them slightly with car setup. The team will generally be giving more attention to George and building the car around him because he's their future, not Lewis.

Soldato
If your driver is leaving for the competition next season and you're not competing for wins or championships, then it's likely you'll give them as little information as possible so that they don't just transfer that knowledge to your rivals, even if it compromises them slightly with car setup. The team will generally be giving more attention to George and building the car around him because he's their future, not Lewis.

They have the same car. Lewis is free to setup the car any which way he wants. he's experienced enough to do this. there is no 'hidden' info with this year's car, you're just making up excuses.

Associate
They have the same car. Lewis is free to setup the car any which way he wants. he's experienced enough to do this. there is no 'hidden' info with this year's car, you're just making up excuses.
You dislike Lewis I get it, you don't need to keep posting such obvious nonsense.

Associate
? You're the one making stuff up. I guess this response says it all.

Please enlighten us on what info has been hidden from Lewis that makes him slower than Russell this season?
What am I making up? A driver doesn't set up an F1 car by themselves as you're suggesting, they rely on a team of engineers. If one driver is leaving it's just plain common sense that you focus on the other car.

Soldato
What am I making up? A driver doesn't set up an F1 car by themselves as you're suggesting, they rely on a team of engineers. If one driver is leaving it's just plain common sense that you focus on the other car.

Again this is just a load of waffle, are you somehow implying that they are deliberately giving only Russell the good set-ups. Lewis can set-up his car however he wants it.

Explain if you're going to make such claims.

Mercedes don't have a title wining car, they will be wanting both drivers to score as many points as they can. Take off the rose tinted glasses. Lewis has just been poor this season and George is doing better this season.

Associate
are you somehow implying that they are deliberately giving only Russell the good set-ups
I'm implying that they will be deliberately focusing on Russell and his feedback, which could indirectly result in Russell getting a slightly more optimal setup yes.

given that Hamilton hasn't beaten Russell in a single race this season
Sprint races don't count then I take it? You couldn't be more obvious with your dislike of Lewis and are clearly arguing in bad faith.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom