Define Posh

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;13168510 said:
You can't define 'posh' by a series of bizarre attributes. I mean, must drive a Land Rover? So if somebody chose a Land Cruiser instead they are 'not posh'?

This isn't really serious is it Fox, I'm not actually going to be going around asking people a check list to see if they are posh, just meant as a bit of fun.

Man of Honour
How can you count "posh accent" as a definition of posh. It's like defining the colour orange as "it's orange".

I would more say it is the use of the language rather than the accent. I'm from Oxford so have a tendancy to overkill on the letter 'a' (shaaaaaaaark in the caaaaaaaaar paaaaaaaaark), which makes me sound pompous to some ears.

A pretty indication of 'posh' is the use of 'mummy' and 'daddy'. I know one set of parents who do not respond to thier children (now over 20) unless they are called mummy and daddy, which I find incredibly amusing.

Soldato
It's impossible, it's like trying to define "working class". There will always be exceptions. The best I can do is list some attributes that posh people might have:

Privately schooled
Large house
Accent that differs from most people in the area, despite having always lived there.
etc

Associate
Someone whose house has a brown sign directing you to it or can live off the interest of their bank account. Maybe not posh but rich anyway.

Rugby isn't posh, its a thugs game played by gentlemen. If you have ever ended up in Twickenham after a game you realise rugby fans arn't posh (just tend to refrain from beating each other up).

Man of Honour
SOoooooooooo.... what does it mean then? eh?

It's an example of folk etymology - basically creating an origin for a word about how it could possibly have come to be, in this case to make it fit as an acronym when there is absolutely no evidence to support the theory aside from a number of people repeating it. Acronyms of this sort are a relatively recent invention, in the region of a few decades rather than centuries, the word posh seems to have been first noted around 1890 I believe and posh meant much the same then as it does now.

Man of Honour
When I was at uni, I was sat around with a girl from my course:
"What you upto this weekend?" - me
"I'm flying to Madrid for a fashion show" - her

= POSH
I can trump that:

"You know whats the worst thing about having a chauffeur? He always tells daddy where I'm going :rolleyes:"

My jaw was on the floor.

Man of Honour
Posh <> Loaded.

Loaded is defined by loaded people as being able to live off the interest of your interest.

Posh can mean different things to different people but some of the elements are use of language, education, family, generational history, circles in which one mixes, land and property and closeness to a member of a royal family!

Soldato
lol, my friends call me posh because i say:

"Hey" instead of "Wagwan"
"Trainers" instead of "Creps"
"Gun" instead of "Strap"
"Weed" instead of "Food"

etc.....

Back
Top Bottom