RAID 1 or RAID 10?

Man of Honour
Out of interest is it possible to say have 3 0r 4 drives in raid 0 with 1 large drive to back it all up on would that be raid 1 for that drive?

Man of Honour
Not fully. Synctoy will only copy individual files so you couldn't recover completely.

What you could do is use a combination of Synctoy and Acronis True Image to take a full image of the disk occasionally and then use Synctoy to keep documents and other files up to date.

Soldato
raid 1 wont really give any speed increase. its more for copying data from one drive to another as a backup

Raid 1 will give you read speed increase.

"Increased read performance occurs when using a multi-threaded operating system that supports split seeks, very small performance reduction when writing."

Man of Honour
What you could do is use a combination of Synctoy and Acronis True Image to take a full image of the disk occasionally and then use Synctoy to keep documents and other files up to date.

That sounds good. Don't need files. Just want to keep an image of a fresh install. Files our kept on separate drives anyway.

Soldato
Raid 1 will give you read speed increase.

"Increased read performance occurs when using a multi-threaded operating system that supports split seeks, very small performance reduction when writing."

care to share the source as i bet any increase it minor,

and in comparing a Raid0 to Raid1 the Raid 1 will be insignificant for speed compared to Raid0

edit:
just seen this thread. http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17952922

Last edited:
Soldato
care to share the source as i bet any increase it minor,

and in comparing a Raid0 to Raid1 the Raid 1 will be insignificant for speed compared to Raid0

edit:
just seen this thread. http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17952922

It's depends on the task. (And a hardware based Raid is prefered)

I had raid 1 set up a while back and got around 20% improvement using HD Tune compared to a single drive.

I use raid 0 myself, and backup a lot. :) (That said Raid1 is no subsitiute for backing up)

Associate
four 320gb f1s in RAID 10
RAID 10 is basically two RAID 0/1/5 arrays mirrored.

Edit: my bad, four disks can be used with 10, with the redundancy across the top level RAID in case of disk faulure. 6 disk for both RAIDs to remain operational during a failure.

Ignore me... the more I refresh my memory on server RAID, the more complicated it gets..... anyone for RAID 100? that will be lightening! LOL

Last edited:
Soldato
Four drives will be faster, and it'll cope better with a drive failure.
Its perfectly possible to make a 3 drive raid0 say, and use this as one half of a raid 1 with a larger drive. What I image you'll achieve is write performance equal to that of the single larger drive, and read performance somewhere between raid 0 and 1 depending on which half of the raid its reading from at any one time. This is probably not the answer.

Raid 5 is also worth a look, raid 10 kills it on performance, but raid 5 only costs the capacity of one drive rather than half the capacity of the array

bru

bru

Soldato
just go for 4 320's in raid 0 :D:D:D and dont keep anything that you really cant afford to loose on there.

but seriously how much stuff do people really have that they cant afford to loose, most of whats on our machines can be reinstalled, and its only a few small files that are truely iritrievable. a cheap usb pen could solve that for you.

and before somebody chimes in with....oh my god i keep all my photos and videos etc on my computer, i cant afford to loose them. all i can say is, if they are that valuble then you shouldnt only keep one copy of them.
make a copy of them somewhere, online or cd/dvd, second hard disk etc.

Soldato
re: motherboard controller struggling to handle it. Performance is definitely fine for a data storage volume, it's coping fine with two other computers running video off the volume as well. However I have had the computer crash occasionally when running four f1s, a raptor and an ssd off the same intel ich10r. OCZ forums thought this was overloading the southbridge, but all I could find on google was my own thread asking if the ssd had gone bad. Since I moved the raptor off its been fine, but I am a bit more reluctant to add a fifth samsung to the array as a result of this.

No, this is not possible.

I disagree.
example, three 320gb drives, /dev/sd[a,b,c], one 1tb drive /dev/sdd

mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=5 --raid-devices=3 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1
mdadm --assemble /dev/md0
mdadm --create /dev/md1 --level=1 --raid-devices=2 /dev/md0 /dev/sdd1
mdadm --assemble /dev/md1
mount /dev/md1 /mnt/raid

Everything is a file.
You'll have about 30gb left over in this case, which could probably be a boot volume if you were careful.
It's not true hardware raid, but mdadm doesn't trail too badly in performance from the raid 5 benchmarks I looked up months ago

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom