Wheel Swapping

Soldato
[TW]Fox;16168830 said:
Always torque mine. See no reason not to, its hardly extra faff isn't it?

Do BMW quote a torque figure for dry or lubricated threads? Does the original torque figure still provide the same clamping force now as it did when the car was new?

Soldato
[TW]Fox;16166481 said:
There is a fantastic video on Youtube done by Vicky Butler-Henderson (So a better driver than everyone in this thread) which demonstrates exactly why its a good idea and exactly what can happen if you ignore it.

No, that particular video is crap because her driving style changes dramatically between her two demonstrations...

Man of Honour
Do BMW quote a torque figure for dry or lubricated threads? Does the original torque figure still provide the same clamping force now as it did when the car was new?

BMW quote a figure of 120nm or 89lb/ft for a dry thread. What a strange question to ask, I wonder what your real motives for asking where as I suspect you have no interest in the torque setting for the wheel bolts on an E39..

Soldato
I've never seen a garage torque up wheel nuts.

a wheel/tyre/geometry place 30 miles from here does as standard. theyre about one of the only places i trust (unfortunately they cant always balance wheels properly but their geometry work is spot on)

Howard. i love it when you pass the half way point in a big job and have to get the torque wrench out. i love having elsawin for working on VAG stuff as it gives you all the NM settings.

as for wheels, of course its not life or death to use a torque wrench, but if you want 101% dependability (like i expect from my cars) then i do it.

ie when you changed the wheel for the woman, imagine if the last person had gone totally mental on the wheel nuts, you tried to help and one snapped when taking it off etc.

M0T

M0T

Soldato
I was driving to an MOT a few years back when my steering wheel started jumping about like mad. I pulled over and discovered that my front wheels were held on by 1 bolt each.

Someone else had done them up with a breaker bar and then I'd put on new locking wheel nuts with a torque wrench. Guess which bolts were holding the wheels on.

Last edited:
Associate
The only thing I bother to torque up correctly are head bolts...
n582057248_1137019_2751.jpg

Back
Top Bottom