SSD Price increases

Associate
I was checking my OCUK invoice for the OCZ Agility Series 120GB 2.5" SATA-II Solid State Hard Drive (OCZSSD2-1AGT120G) which I bought on 1st July 2009, it cost me £219.99.

The same drive today costs £299.99

That sucks.

Soldato
due you think it's due to so many good reviews and the manufacture seeing this and thinking its time to put the price up even more ?

i understand they are good but how good would they have to be for these price's ?

Soldato
I'd prefer if they were trying to make them cheaper rather than increasing the speed of them and charging an even higher price premium but I'm guessing they know people will pay the prices.

Soldato
I was checking my OCUK invoice for the OCZ Agility Series 120GB 2.5" SATA-II Solid State Hard Drive (OCZSSD2-1AGT120G) which I bought on 1st July 2009, it cost me £219.99.

The same drive today costs £299.99

That sucks.

I think the currency exchange rates just might have something to do with it as our pound has been sliding for quite a while.

Associate
Supply and demand, simplez as a well known Russian Meerkat would say.

No one seems to either be able to make / have the inclination to make enough memory so prices rise. Add to falling £ and the usual decrease in manufacturing costs doesn't look like it is being passed on etc

Soldato
VAT was only 15% last year, and the exchange rate was around $1.65 to £1 as opposed to around $1.49 currently.

So adjusting for exchange rate and inflation the drive was around $2.55 / GB and now it is $3.05/GB , a 19% rise.

NAND prices were at a low in summer of last year due to the recession, but resurging demand from Smartphones and SSD's pushed prices up by around 23% where it has been stable for the past 6 months.

Considering a 23% rise in NAND costs, a 19% rise in the base price of the SSD is actually not that bad.

Prices will start falling eventually, the main obstacle is the amount of time it takes suppliers to build a new NAND facility. Toshiba has a big new facility coming online next year.

Last edited:
Associate
Also Agilty range is nand manufacturer independant. So they can fit any nand they like, maybe a special deal last year!

The bloke at the ocuk shop said it is because apple just bought 1/4 of the world's current supply of SSD chips, pushing the price up.
They also said that the ocuk manager (whether they mean Spie or not I don't know) thinks that a 500gb SSD will be £100 at xmas.

I have to say I cannot see it happening.

Soldato
I can vouch for how great SSD's are but the prices are very high. I won't be buying another is they go up any more and they certainly won't go mainstream any time soon. Wait until after the next election, we'll all be skint!!

Back
Top Bottom