Vertex 2 50GB Poor Speed results

Associate
Hi all,

Decided to order a OCZ vertex 2 50gb SSD drive as it looked like a nice speed upgrade form my Crucial 64gb M225 drive, however I am getting nowhere near the rated speeds for this drive. :mad:

I am running in AHCI mode and have the latest Intel and Microsoft drivers installed, I have write cashing enabled and drive indexing disabled.

Not sure if there is anything else that I do to improve the speed of this drive ?

Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
That does seem a little low, should definitely be getting higher sequential reads than that. Write speeds look about right though considering it's only a 50GB drive (and thus has less flash chips than the 100GB drive that is usually reviewed) It won't hit the advertised 270MB/s unless the data is easily compressable, which the AS-SSD benchmark doesn't provide (so you can see the worst case performance)

Was there any background activity when you ran the bench? Have you tried with a different SATA cable (long shot)

Associate
OP
I didn't expect to get the as high as the rated specs for the drive but at least somewhere near. The write speeds are only 1/3 of the rated specs, surely that isn't right ?

It was just the As bench running, this is also on a clean install of windows as well, I'll try a shorter cable and see how i get on, Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
Use Atto bench to test the drive. There is an issue with Sandforce controller with AS SSD which gives incorrect results. OCZ forum mods recommend using Atto or IO Meter to test the drives as those programs will give consistent results which reflect the advertised speed of the drives. Below is the results of my Vertex LE based on a similar Sandforce controller.

capture1rn.png
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

capture2qn.png
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Last edited:
Associate
The truth will be somewhere in between, as the sandforce drives compress data before writing it to the disc. The easier it can be compressed the faster it will effectively write. Therefore depending on the test pattern the benchmark uses and how effectively it can be compressed you will see differing results. In the same way what type of files you are writing will determine the speed. If you write 1000 mp3s (that are already compressed) you will see a much slower speed than if you are writing 1000s of text files.

Associate
- Capacity: 50GB
- Maximum Read: 285MB/sec
- Maximum Write: 275MB/sec
- Sustained Write: 250MB/sec
- Max I/O Per Second (IOPS): 50000 IOPS (4KB File)
- NAND Flash: Multi-Level Cell (MLC)
- Interface: SATA-II
- TRIM Support (Requires Windows 7)
- Warranty: 3 Years

So sustained write, doesnt actually mean sustained... more like

"Under certain conditions, on rare occasions" Write - 250MB/sec

Wish manufacturers would provide more honest/realistic specs...

Associate
OP
The drive is certainly feels faster on installs than my old Crucial drive, but I to wish manufactures would be honest about the specs.

Yes the drive can sometimes read and write somewhere near the specs but only under certain circumstances.

I was going to get antoher one for raid 0 further down the line but not to sure now.

Soldato
The drive is certainly feels faster on installs than my old Crucial drive, but I to wish manufactures would be honest about the specs.

Yes the drive can sometimes read and write somewhere near the specs but only under certain circumstances.

I was going to get antoher one for raid 0 further down the line but not to sure now.

I certainly feel that its faster than my Crucial M225 128gb :)

Associate

I dont think TRIM is supported on raid configs, plus Ive read manay things that suggest raid setup on ssd's is not really of great benefit...

I certainly feel that its faster than my Crucial M225 128gb

I had one of these.. lol.. for a week, sold it as I wasnt as impressed as I thought I would be!! I think my expectaiton levels of ssd's in general was way to high...

Associate
OP
No I don't think TRIM is supported but I thought the Garbage Collection was, which I thought was pretty musk the same thing, could be wrong though ?

I'll wait for some benches of these in RAID before I take the plunge I think.

Associate
I have also just purchased the Vertex 2 and was wondering about ACHI and IDE. What are the benefits for using ACHI over IDE. Also will switching to ACHI effect my two other disk drives?

Associate
I would go with ACHI as the current firmware update tool needs it to be able to update the drive under Windows (No DOS option for firmware updates currently). Not sure what the performance difference between the ACHI and IDE are.

Man of Honour
typical that the day after i buy a ocz vertex they bring out version 2 with like 10times the performance for £25 more... *shakes head*

someone is laughing somewhere....

RMA it under the distance selling act and get the vertex 2 instead

Back
Top Bottom