Retro console and games thread

Associate
Another Megadrive gem arrived this morning in excellent condition...

2011-08-31190352.jpg

Permabanned
What are you guys running your old consoles and computers through? I've tried playing older consoles on HD TVs and to be honest, the games look like crap. I would like to get my hands on an old 15" CRT TV or something so I can run the units through what they went through when they were originally released.

Soldato
What are you guys running your old consoles and computers through? I've tried playing older consoles on HD TVs and to be honest, the games look like crap. I would like to get my hands on an old 15" CRT TV or something so I can run the units through what they went through when they were originally released.

I run mine on a 32" CRT, cant run anything on my HD TV, either too bright or too dark. Simply doesnt look right, especially with 8bit consoles. Light gun games doesnt work on HD TV's either.

Permabanned
I did have a 28" CRT I just remembered about out in the garage somewhere. But upon going to look, it's disappeared. I suspect my brother has probably pinched it.

Associate
I run mine on my 37" Lg hdtv. The Megadrive's going through Composite, and I've adjusted the Composite sharpness to 50% so it gives the old games the kind of blur look of an old Crt. Looks fine to me.

Associate
Got another loads of items yesterday, a customer at my work who I had a conversation with a few weeks ago popped in with a few boxes he found in his attic. Sorry no photo forgot to snap last night but mainly boxes and boxes of games. Consoles that I got (not tested):

2 x amiga 600
2 x commodore 64 (one boxed)
1 x atari 2600
1 x mega cd (he says cd part not working if he remembers right)

I'm sure there is something else but I've forgot :)

Associate
I run mine on my 37" Lg hdtv. The Megadrive's going through Composite, and I've adjusted the Composite sharpness to 50% so it gives the old games the kind of blur look of an old Crt. Looks fine to me.

Gah, buy a SCART RGB cable :cool:

And yeah if you have the space CRT's look so much better, my PSone really doesn't look fantastic on my LCD TV. I'd love to get one of those cheap but decent scalers and the scan line doubler (http://mmmonkey.co.uk/console/other/vga-scanlines.htm)

Associate
Hi guys anyone know much about arcade cabinets

Got myself one last night

Has a neo geo cart for puzzle bobble and a jamma board for double dragon (No sound working)

Looking to know will it be better to build a mame machine in it or get one of the jamma board with 1000 games on them? Oh one of the geo carts with a few hundred games on them?

Associate
I used to have a cab, I loved it until I moved and I couldn't fit it in...

Mame is all well and good, but nothing beats the actual feel of an old game. I'd recommend getting either a board or cart.

I have a few arcade bits left over which I'll be selling soon if you're interested, some sanwa buttons, couple of classic Neo Geo fighters, SF2 (I think it's TE) board...

Soldato
Associate
Gah, buy a SCART RGB cable :cool:

And yeah if you have the space CRT's look so much better, my PSone really doesn't look fantastic on my LCD TV. I'd love to get one of those cheap but decent scalers and the scan line doubler (http://mmmonkey.co.uk/console/other/vga-scanlines.htm)

Both my Scart slots on my Tv are in use (one for the Dreamcast and one for the Saturn - both running rgb Scart). The Megadrive never had a Scart output or the ability, the best output you can get is using the Av port on the back to composite. As I said, once I played around with the settings on my Lcd HdTv it looks great. It is possible to make it look exactly like an old Crt if you spend long enough fiddling with the settings.

Associate
My gamegear doesn't turn on anymore, it's been sat in a drawer for years without any batteries too, is this a common problem?

I have two and they both work fine. Have you tried using the Ac adaptor?

Just bought another Megadrive 1 btw, as my Ac port on the back seems to be on the way out (colours occasionally flickering in any game which is getting worse). Either that or its the gpu. I've tried a new lead but to no avail. Hopefully it'll be here in a few days.

Last edited:
Associate
Both my Scart slots on my Tv are in use (one for the Dreamcast and one for the Saturn - both running rgb Scart). The Megadrive never had a Scart output or the ability, the best output you can get is using the Av port on the back to composite. As I said, once I played around with the settings on my Lcd HdTv it looks great. It is possible to make it look exactly like an old Crt if you spend long enough fiddling with the settings.

You can get RGB scart cables for both flavours of Megadrive now, check out retrogamingcables I got mine from there and the difference in picture is night and day! :)

Associate
Yes, but what I meant was the system was never designed for it so those cables simply transmit the composite signal to a scart plug which you could do using a composite to scart adaptor. Besides, both my tv's scart sockets are used and I really don't fancy having to break out the scart switch box I used to use on my old tv, its just so messy. As I've said a few times now the picture quality is superb on my tv, and was just a case of setting it up right in the menu.

Associate
Decided to get myself a dreamcast, had the PS2 since not far off launch. Have a PS1 as well but a friend has borrowed it to play Final Fantasy VII.

IMAG0051.jpg

Back
Top Bottom