Project: SR-2 Desk

Associate
Cool concept, but would it not have been easyer to buy a table & mod onto it, well under it :p

Not near as much of a challenge and not near as epic....

@Sam-I hear what you are saying about being able to take it apart. I was just curious, I always want to know why something was made one way when it could be made many different ways. With the brushed look and a glass top I am starting to be able to visualize it....this could look amazing imho. The idea of the drives and inputs in the front cross sections sounds great, i can't wait to that!

Associate
OP
Thanks again for all the comments :)

And I thought about taking a table and modding it, but then I thought about what I wanted to do... then I got the glass for free... so I just made one :) speaking of...

Hopefully you all had an awesome Christmas so here's what I got up to during that quiet bit on Christmas day in the afternoon when everyone is done with presents and stuff but before the food bit :)

fitted the rear panel...

xkcN0.jpg

was a little tight in the corners but with some light adjustment it soon looked the part

W1jq4.jpg

Y3iZn.jpg

then moved onto the internal sides, you can now see where the one of the PSU's will live :)

RAjaO.jpg

EmKXp.jpg

thDPm.jpg

Dropped in the panels either side of the motherboard tray

APrlj.jpg

5eOy8.jpg

A quick shot of the grill retaining panels on the side, there are similar panels on the rear, I'll be getting to these in a day or so.

roUNn.jpg

Then we flip and move onto the radiator panels...

Fj8H6.jpg

u2GOe.jpg

for some reason I flipped it back and did the triangle pieces next, not entirely sure why...

OhD8U.jpg

you can see the third side of these is still open, I have these sections left to make, they are small but will be a pain in the arse :)

and flip back again to do the underside cover

Byrmq.jpg

then move onto the front underside panels, these aren't fully attached yet as the fronts and diagonals are missing.

wVmrH.jpg

please excuse the lighting in these last photos, I got it better nearer the end, I had a really big light and a small space to shine it :(

That's all the panels, now to see some parts in it...

5sX4l.jpg

dKy4a.jpg

VxlMH.jpg

3li9D.jpg

ZIrbV.jpg

AusJP.jpg

wmH2m.jpg

jVKdx.jpg

now then, I was hoping to get some input on the layout, I have this space and these parts. I have yet to decide where the reservoir and pump will be, and dependant on them I will put the hard drives on various panels, so if you get some time to spare let me know what you think.:)

This is also what I intend on doing with the tops of the radiators, it looks better in real life, but I'm undecided, think I'm going to wait until the panels and frame are painted to see if it looks good. the underside will have a traditional rad grill though, not these.

l3Ws7.jpg

and the money shot, I did all this so I know where to cut the hole in the back panel :p

5SK5X.jpg

Thanks for reading and sorry for the quality of the photos, the ones of the components have really shown up my camera so I'll see what I can do for the future :)

Been playing with some switches and USBs today trying to work out how they will fit into the front sections, I can do a bit more detail about how the USB came about if anyone is interested, but it was pretty straight forward, the USB socket had the common courtesy to be metric unlike motherboards

The task... put one of these, in a box section like the one next to it...

3c28A.jpg

about an hour later....

Ddnax.jpg

dWCDk.jpg

6YqWr.jpg

OEgTt.jpg

I will be replacing the screws with stainless allen bolts so it matches the rest of the desk, and cutting them to length on the inside, even though you cant see them...I'll know...

On to the power switch :), this one was again pretty straight forward

VEX6k.jpg

zRwef.jpg

DzkLb.jpg

And finally, the reset, I put this on the wrong side of the test piece for some reason, but the wire for this will sneak out in the gap around the back of the power switch. The switch will be underneath the section so it's not on display and the panel will cover it's screw, which will again be a stainless allen and cut to length...

The fun part of this was the spacer, as for the first time this build the lathe got involved (even if it was for about 5 minutes) if you need a 3mm internal, below 8mm external, 4.4 mm high spacer, do not spend ten minutes rooting through crap to find one... just make it...

8WM1D.jpg

YVnYC.jpg

A lot of effort for something you will never see, but again, I'll know it's there and now so do you :D

Thanks for reading, Hope everyone had a good Christmas :)

Associate
Nice thread :)

I was thinking of making a desk for myself (although wouldn't have the PC mounted inside)

If you don't mind me asking, what sort of price is that quantity of Aluminium? As I would quite like to have a think about it for myself, again, so would like a rough idea how much it cost you :)

Associate
iv been dying to do this myself for a long time, sadly funds have always been an issue, i love this idea, and i think its going to be amazing when its finished, lots of effort into this so far, keep it up

Back
Top Bottom