The 2012 Chilli growing thread - the second burn!

Soldato
I wondered why I hadn't seen the chilli thread yet :(.

Seems a lot quieter in here than previous years. Might be an idea to move back to GD?

Last edited:
Soldato
I wondered why I hadn't seen the chilli thread yet :(.

Seems a lot quieter in here than previous years. Might be an idea to move back to GD?

Does seem a lot quieter, I agree. Just compare the this thread to the thread from last year. This time a year ago we were on page 19.

Still growing some though Mark?

The plants which I chopped the tops off have started to develop side shoots:

And the Curry seeds I was sent have resulted in a deformed plant :p

Man of Honour
Looks like ill be having curry sunday night :D
imagepad.jpg

Associate
here some pics of my chillies and peppers so far, the peppers have just gone crazy

They are still in the conservatory at the minute waiting to goto the greenhouses

All of them here
IMG_0139.jpg

The orange habs
IMG_0142.jpg

The bhut jolika
IMG_0143.jpg

the various peppers, sweet banana, sweet red, mixed peppers, bell peppers
IMG_0141.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg

and these cucumbers that were set off last sunday (7 days ago)
cant believe how quick they have come on
IMG_0144.jpg

The pepper ones are starting to get a bit top heavy, some had collapsed over this morning, should i stake them now or wait till they go into their final pots in a few weeks.

Soldato
looking for a bit of advice, the scotch bonnet plant in the picture is from last year, I decided to keep it and just trim it back quite a bit in the hope it would flourish again this spring. Whilst there is some new growth the leaves are very small and a lot of them are yellowish in colour.

So what to do, it gets plenty of sunlight and I do feed it tomato feed every now and then.

Should I cut back the roots a bit as the pot is fully packed?

IMAG0112.jpg

Associate
Whilst there is some new growth the leaves are very small and a lot of them are yellowish in colour.

So what to do, it gets plenty of sunlight and I do feed it tomato feed every now and then.

Should I cut back the roots a bit as the pot is fully packed?

I'd say get it into a bigger pot if it's root-bound, the extra, fresh compost/potting mix might sort the yellowing out?

Soldato
Id go with that ^^

When you trimmed it back last year you could have loosened and trimmed the roots a little and put back into the same pot with some fresh compost. But its not really the best time to do that now.

Take it out of the pot, loosen the roots and replant in a larger pot.

Soldato
Niceeeee! And it is bushing out a bit aswell! I grew Cayennes last year and they didn't do that! Chopped the tops of them this year to force them to do it!

Associate
I must say I am very impressed with the fine looking plants in this thread.

I'm growing chillies for the first time this year. I don't have a greenhouse or conservatory, nor a south facing window, so they are getting a little leggy, as can be seen in the photo.

254zs7r.jpg

Can I re-pot them into deep pots now, and have them root from the stems to recover the situation somewhat?

I guess my other option is to pinch out the growing tip and hope they bush out, but one of them has started to flower (I think), it looks like this -

kpw78.jpg

Any tips from the experts appreciated. :)

Associate
I'm in a similar situation Scotspaul, only window I have available is NE facing, though I did get hold of a temporary greenhouse to go against the SW garage wall. I've had some of my plants out there for a month now, they took a hit from a few 5c nights but I trimmed a lot of growth away last week and they're all recovering now, some not so quickly but they're getting there.

I'd say move them on to deeper pots if you can, get the first set of leaves on the stem burried, and pinch the tops out when you feel the main stem is long enough for your growing space, or when it splits itself off into a fork.

Should have some fresh pics of mine up soon.

Back
Top Bottom