***Gym Exercise Guide, and Form Discussion/Feedback***

Associate
Tried the advice today in the gym on my squats and they still don't feel great. I know it's hard to judge without a video but I got a lot more discomfort in my lower back then I usually would with my older poor squat form and I really didn't feel it in the glutes as much as I should have. I'm having trouble maintaining a stuff spine and I think the lower back was rounding.

Caporegime
screw the cardio...if you gaining weight just eat less:D

Just think back to cals in v's energy out scenario.

yeah but it's not that simple, medication completely ****s metabolism and how body functions (ie can develop diabetes easily because of it) and generally to avoid gaining any weight have to eat <2000 kcal and be going through mad cravings the whole time as your body thinks it's starving.

drugs for your head are not pleasant things.

Associate
I've been looking over the advice regarding squats and it got me thinking about my technique, I'm having trouble visualising what you are saying so hopefully this makes sense...

Squat.jpg

Have I got that right?

Man of Honour
Better again1

However, your back (starting at - yes, you guessed it! PELVIS!) goes all rubbery at the bottom as you try to reach depth.

Regardless, knees and stance looked better (still more control required) but better!

Soldato
Better again1

However, your back (starting at - yes, you guessed it! PELVIS!) goes all rubbery at the bottom as you try to reach depth.

Regardless, knees and stance looked better (still more control required) but better!

I'm really not sure how to fix that. Is it caused by a lack of mobility or simply I'm just faltering in execution?

I've stopped tilting my pelvis at the top but it's starting to tilt at the bottom. The reason I tilted it initially was because I thought that was how I maintained the arch in my back.

Compared to two weeks ago though, I'm really happy with my progress in form.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Keep working on it, you won't become the perfect squatter over night. There's only so much you can learn from instruction/videos over the net.

Soldato
You might benefit from setting up a box/bench behind you so you can drive back up just as your ass touches it so you can work on hip drive etc.

You're squatting below parralell, which whilst it's good, is causing some tuck. I may be wrong but you might find it easier to learn the movement just squatting to parralell which would be a slightly smaller ROM which could be easier to master.

Caporegime
Wasn't sure if this should go here or in the mobility thread, but never mind...

In short, I have to use mixed grip on some of my deadlifting which is fine, the problem I have is because I'm keeping my right hand in DOH territory, could this potentially roll my shoulder in to a bad position if it is already weak?

It's probably complete ballzee but I'd rather get some insight on the situation.

Soldato
Your back is not straight before you lift. Review the vids in the op as they are a great refresher. Take your trainers off for dead lifting if you can. This will give you a more stable base to work from.
Get tight on the bar as if your right on the verge of lifting the weight. Everything needs to remain firm from the start to the end of the lift.

Soldato
Wasn't sure if this should go here or in the mobility thread, but never mind...

In short, I have to use mixed grip on some of my deadlifting which is fine, the problem I have is because I'm keeping my right hand in DOH territory, could this potentially roll my shoulder in to a bad position if it is already weak?

It's probably complete ballzee but I'd rather get some insight on the situation.

Afaik, you should alternate, on the rare occasion I used mixed (always DOH) I made sure I alternated mixed each set.

You may have a preference or a stronger position which can be used for the heavier/heaviest lifts/PB's.

Caporegime
Afaik, you should alternate, on the rare occasion I used mixed (always DOH) I made sure I alternated mixed each set.

You may have a preference or a stronger position which can be used for the heavier/heaviest lifts/PB's.

I normally use doh until I can't no more, it was more curiosity :)

Thanks though mate, will give it a whirl

Man of Honour
OP
Form check please! I can't seem to keep my shoulders back like I've been seeing on form videos

What Syla5 said, and get your feet more organised. It shouldn't just be arbitrary where your feet end up. Hip width and almost parallel.

I actually don't know what to think about this. I can definitely see the thinking behind switching, and it makes a lot of sense.

When I started powerlifting I was told not to switch because I need to train one strong position, but I kind of think that's a bit BS-ey.

So yeah, I don't know Delvis! I don't think it would have been causing you problems, but then there is always a chance that a jacked up shoulder could find a way to get more jacked up by something stupid like this.

Soldato
Here's a couple more vids for you guys, me squatting at 30 kg.

Box

No box

Here's my training buddy too, he's been inspired by me to drop the weight and focus on form and even do some mobility. Normally he squats 160 but he's squatting 70 in this vid. The two things I notice are his feet point very wide when he starts and his knees bend inwards.

Caporegime
I actually don't know what to think about this. I can definitely see the thinking behind switching, and it makes a lot of sense.

When I started powerlifting I was told not to switch because I need to train one strong position, but I kind of think that's a bit BS-ey.

So yeah, I don't know Delvis! I don't think it would have been causing you problems, but then there is always a chance that a jacked up shoulder could find a way to get more jacked up by something stupid like this.

Cheers mate, it was just a thought that occurred to me really. I'll see how things play

Back
Top Bottom