***Gym Exercise Guide, and Form Discussion/Feedback***

Soldato
From my workout this morning

Bit of review

The 40's felt great, the 60's felt mediocore at best and by half way through the 2nd set and the whole of the 3rd i couldnt feel anything in my back as my hamstrings were on fire!
This might be a case of lighter is better while i bring my hammies up to speed so that they can cope and i can feel whats going on with my back.

Feed back please, I have a feeling my odd proportions don't help :(

Soldato
Ok.
[flameshield]
Theoretical question here (sit ups):
Now, we are all generally agreed that sit ups are bad, and by no means the best exercise for your abs, but I've been having a ponder here.
If you lay down, and hip hinged so your back was entirely straight would it achieve some form of ab workout?
[/flameshield]

Should finish this off by saying, no I'm not about to do sit ups as I'm well aware of the better exercises that exist, I'm just thinking considering recent thoughts regarding body mechanics. Also, I've noticed that to actually achieve a hip hinge so to speak whilst lying on the floor, you actually need to have above average level of core strength anyway.

kd

Soldato
Squats at 32.5 kg.

And here's some deads at 60kg. Watching them myself, I can see there's loads going wrong.

Only managed 2 sets of squats as my right wrist was really hurting every time I got under the bar for a 3rd set. Every week it's a new problem! How the **** am I supposed to make gains when my vagina of a body keeps failing me? :mad:

Soldato
I'm tiny :D

And one weak mofo!

Keep at it mate, might be worth asking about your wrists on the mobility thread as there are things you can do to I prove that

You're a hell of a lot bigger and stronger than me ;)

The thing is, with it being exam season, I'm just about finding time to go to the gym and train. Add in all the mobility work, plus continuous reading and analysing of my technique, and this whole thing starts to take a bill toll on my time. Having been at it for nearly 5 months, I would have hoped to be further than still getting technique right. I thought I'd have gained some strength and size by now.

Ah well, setbacks happen. I just wanna hurry up and actually start to get bigger :p

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Squat is looking better. Make sure you have tension in your arms and hands, if you don't the weight can easily rest on your wrists. This is even more important if you don't have a well developed upper back and rear delts to shelf the weight on. Still some work to do with your hip hinge. What are you wearing on your feet?

Your deadlift isn't great, have you watched the video in the OP?

Soldato
Still some work to do with your hip hinge. What are you wearing on your feet?

Your deadlift isn't great, have you watched the video in the OP?

I'm wearing some converse chuck taylors that came in the post today :)

I've watched the vids in the OP, and have them saved on my phone. The mobilitywod ones are hard to follow (as always). The main thing I notice is that my back is rounding just as I lift and also when I drop the weight.

Caporegime
It takes time mate, one thing you need to realise is you have to be in this for the long haul, you'll get set backs, possibly some injuries, but you just need to plus on :)

As you say, exams are important, so get those right and keep doing the gym if you can. Its a lot harder to make progress on your own when first starting out, but keep at it.

Caporegime
I'm wearing some converse chuck taylors that came in the post today :)

I've watched the vids in the OP, and have them saved on my phone. The mobilitywod ones are hard to follow (as always). The main thing I notice is that my back is rounding just as I lift and also when I drop the weight.

Shoulders back, lats Engaged, core locked down

Soldato
Right now, I have final uni exams. I've taken what will probably be close to two months off from the gym. I have got enough bits at home though that I practice dl and squat through light movements. Even stuff like practicing hip hinging can be great help. Just little things that help your mechanics.

kd

Man of Honour
OP
TC, you've almost leant to squat! :)

Have a quick look at your pec tightness and shoulder internal and external rotation (OP of mobility thread).

Soniamimpress.jpg

The deadlift... not so much! :D

Keep plugging away bud :thumbsup:

Associate
The deadlift is a stupidly hard exercise to get, I just can't seem to 'get it' totally.

I think I made progress today by keeping my legs closer together my arms can basically hang down more which reduces the back rounding, I don't seem to get the mobilitywod video where they say you have to clench your butt to lockdown and the whole breathing in to lock you core :confused: so much to remember in one small motion and yea I didn't get video today.... gym too busy

Man of Honour
OP
It's an unfortunate product of modern living that does not demand efficient movement, so many peoples bodies don't know wtf that even means.

Have you posted a video?

Soldato
To think that the physio told me to do lunges, cycling and legpress and then I could squat again 'in 8 weeks'. The reality being that I just needed to do some mobility, fix up my form and then I could squat STRAIGHT AWAY.

Back
Top Bottom