Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
Just purchased a N54L and was wondering if you can email the cash back form or do you have to send it by post?

Thanks

The instructions should be on the cashback form. I posted mine but that was nearly a couple of years ago.

I sent a copy of the completed form and a scanned in copy of the invoice that came with the server when it showed up by email. I don't have the email to hand but it was something like promotions@outthere, it was definitely mentioned earlier in this thread

Associate
Anyone got a link to the BIOS that enables the internal spare SATA port? Want to move the boot drive to the optical bay so I have 4 proper bays free for drives.

...went with Windows 8.1 by the way. Played with unRAID but a few glitches in the install (failed to propagate proper interface URLs based on hostname, basic stuff) knocked my confidence. I p*ss about with software for a living and don't want to do it at home too. :)

Cheers,
A

Associate
Anyone got a link to the BIOS that enables the internal spare SATA port? Want to move the boot drive to the optical bay so I have 4 proper bays free for drives.

...went with Windows 8.1 by the way. Played with unRAID but a few glitches in the install (failed to propagate proper interface URLs based on hostname, basic stuff) knocked my confidence. I p*ss about with software for a living and don't want to do it at home too. :)

Cheers,
A

Here is the latest modded bios:
linky to site

It's in German but just use Google Transalte in Google Chrome or something.

Just create a USB key for an official BIOS update using HP's USB Key Utility, and then just overwrite the ROM file on the USB with this new ROM file.

Associate
Looking forward to getting mine next week!

Can I ask a quick question - will it take 'registered' memory?

I am a bit green with that sort of thing and am obviously trying to find some cheap, but have to buy from a spec sheet.

Thank you for any ideas.

Associate
Good stuff and thanks easyrider. It seems pretty flexible. What's the deal with the voltage - I see anything from 1.35 to 1.5v (or more?) seem to be acceptable.

Is it just so much spec to make you buy the 'recommended' sticks, although the vast majority will do just fine? it's a sizeable investment these days!

Associate
See they do a HyperX beast! Good grief. It's only ram!

Surely people can see that all that tat is just window dressing and it does exactly the same thing. Anyway, I agree that for the minor additional investment the ECC is not a hard decision to make. To buy now or wait, that is the question...

Associate
Getting mine setup now. Good little box. Notice that with Plex running, especially when transcoding, CPU usage is pretty high. Anyone upgraded the CPU in one of these?

Back
Top Bottom