Edge of Tomorrow

Soldato
Saw it yesterday, much better than I expected and would recommend it to people. As Rich Hall would say though it is a typical Tom Cruise movie :D

I was being very slow though as until I was describing it to someone at work today I didn't pick up the WWII reference/theme to it.

he died so he inherited the turn back time power. The question is why it turn back to the helicopter and not when in the barracks. Is it only to he point when he wakes up?

And when it gets turned back, why would the timeline changed before the turning point where the omega was killed...

I don't know! It bugged me too. The film explains it as they go back in time but remember the previous day(s) but the only way to explain the ending that I can think of is if they (Tom Cruise and the Omega) don't actually go back in time themselves but that time loops (for them) instead of rewinds (so if the loop is a day and repeats 20 times they are 20 days older than they were whereas everyone else is the same age). It would also explain why they remember when time rewinds. This explains the ending too as Tom Cruise had the power to go back from when he killed the Alpha, he lost it with the blood transfusion but he got the power again from the blood of the Omega but as the Omega doesn't 'rewind' then the Omega would remain dead.

Associate
I was speaking with a friend about this last night... for a long time! Anyway, this is my explanation to the ending.

Let's take the facts they gave us, we know that the aliens (mimics) "Let us win..." in the previous war. This sets a precedent that the Omega (brain) can put a strategy in place for later. Knowing that the Omega uses Time travel as a defensive mechanism to conquer worlds. 'If at first you don't succeed, try, try again" mantra. The perspective of the film is from Tom's point of view, but the only actual constant in time was the Omega as it is actually the being performing the time travel act. So moving forward - Tom regains the 'link' with Omega as he is dieing - as a last ditch act (as the Omega has been outplayed) the Omega resets time one last time. Taking Cruise with it, but this time it goes back further and "let us (the humans) win..." but tricking Tom into thinking that it was dead. After all, if it did reset time in it's last seconds of life then it's now actually not dead as it's back before the explosion. So, with the humans now not going to hunt the Omega as Tom thinks it's dead (and he is the only one who can stop it) the Omega has outplayed the humans for what could be another attack (or retreat) for when Cruise is dead, perhaps.

Soldato
Liked the film, a few minor issues like most films nowadays due to lazy screenwriting but overall I enjoyed it. My one problem with it was the casting of Emily Blunt as an Uber Warrior. Whilst I think she's a very good actress I didn't see the "hardness" in her that role demanded where as some-one like Lena Headey would have been perfect.

Ending -

My guess is that it's to give the film a happy "Hollywood Ending" where Cruise is an Officer again, Blunt is still alive and humanity has won

Caporegime
I was speaking with a friend about this last night... for a long time! Anyway, this is my explanation to the ending.

Let's take the facts they gave us, we know that the aliens (mimics) "Let us win..." in the previous war. This sets a precedent that the Omega (brain) can put a strategy in place for later. Knowing that the Omega uses Time travel as a defensive mechanism to conquer worlds. 'If at first you don't succeed, try, try again" mantra. The perspective of the film is from Tom's point of view, but the only actual constant in time was the Omega as it is actually the being performing the time travel act. So moving forward - Tom regains the 'link' with Omega as he is dieing - as a last ditch act (as the Omega has been outplayed) the Omega resets time one last time. Taking Cruise with it, but this time it goes back further and "let us (the humans) win..." but tricking Tom into thinking that it was dead. After all, if it did reset time in it's last seconds of life then it's now actually not dead as it's back before the explosion. So, with the humans now not going to hunt the Omega as Tom thinks it's dead (and he is the only one who can stop it) the Omega has outplayed the humans for what could be another attack (or retreat) for when Cruise is dead, perhaps.

Errr that's way confusing...I am thinking

The premise is that when the Omega sense that an Alpha has died (whether his blood has passed onto a human), the day resets. That's the Rule No.1 of the film.

That is the rule it used to win the war, the Omega allowed itself to lose first time, then prepare the day again.

The rule also means everything goes back to as if nothing has happened, no one has died, with the exception of the dead alpha. As Cruise got the power of the Alpha, the one that he killed seizes to exists. But normally the Alpha would be alive if it didn't go into Cruise.

So I am thinking. When Cruise killed the Omega, Cruise can reset the start of the day, minus the dead Omega.

That is the only way I can make sense of it.

Soldato
Good film let down a tad by slightly ropey ending.

Cruise chipped in with usual solid performance, Emily Blunt was cast fine imo, and appeared to have buffed up for the role.

Soldato
Just come back from the movie and really enjoyed it. Yes there's handwaving at the end, presumably
the dying Omega's blood gives the dying Cage one last reset
, but given we can accept that there's an alien invasion and Cage is stuck in a time-loop, then I think the ending isn't too bad. I don't think you can properly explain it, as time-loops are inherently illogical, and quite frankly, a Hollywood script team isn't going to care about making it logical, let alone consistent. They just wanted an ending to the film that was good enough for the masses.

I think it's very well done that Cage isn't just a reluctant hero, he's actually a cowardly one, especially at the beginning, and properly out of his comfort zone. I even quite like the ending scene as a good note to finish the film on. It kind of shows he's a different person,
maybe less selfish, as he's come to care about Rita, even though she doesn't know him yet.

I think they did very well keeping the romance to a minimum. Cage
obviously has feelings for Rita because of what they've gone through together, and their kiss at the end was about stress, adrenaline, thanks and goodbye. A promise of a potential future for them telegraphed into the end of the film, echoed again in the closing scene.

The constant repetition of his day with the various differences is really well done. It's well paced as he tried different approaches and different routes through the day to try and succeed at beating the invasion. I don't know whether someone would go psychotic being horribly killed over and over, or would simply become inured to it. After all, death would hold no fear if you just start the day again perfectly well.

All in all I'd give it an 8 out of 10 as a summer action/SF movie.

Soldato
just seen it - thought it was awesome!

was just the right balance of repeat before it skips ahead - before anything gets boring

glad it wasn't just the whole film on the beach, that they went off and did different things later on kept it interesting

very good that they took away the power and made them vulnerable when it mattered at the end, otherwise no jeopardy !

thought blunt was good - you could tell she was the right mix of probably not very good solider blonde bird and repeat trained super soldier which made it believable, TC as well (not normally bothered about his films) did a good job of going from slimy coward to hero

thought the WW1 / WW2 connotation would be jarring but I think it adds a real sense of history and epicness to everything

beach fighting was jaw dropping awesome once they were fully trained

ending - blue stuff went on him so he got the power back (forever or just once?) he got to do full reset (but omega dead now) to get back to being a major (and not being disgraced) so full win. - plus probs gets to do blunters now :D:D:D

really enjoyed the whole thing

Caporegime
Anyone else seen it in 3d and can offer their opinion of it? Going to see it on friday but dont know whether to watch in 3d or 2d.

I did, waste of time.

I didn't think it was worth it, the enemies moves REALLY fast and with the out of focus blur with 3D you end up not seeing a lot of the details which I would think is in the 2D version.

I had no choice though, they only show it in 3D in the evenings.

Last edited:
Associate
Enjoyed the film a lot, good amount of Humour and some awesome fighting scenes.. TC played his role well,, no where near as cheesy as his usual film acting..

Highly recommend a watch..

Man of Honour
Saw it last night in 3D, really enjoyed it. I think being in 3D made it more dramatic but agree you probably miss some detail. Definitely one to go watch.

Soldato
I did, waste of time.

I didn't think it was worth it, the enemies moves REALLY fast and with the out of focus blur with 3D you end up not seeing a lot of the details which I would think is in the 2D version.

I had no choice though, they only show it in 3D in the evenings.

I'd say exactly the same thing and for the same reasons.

Soldato
so 3D not worth bothering with? Can you elaborate on that as I'm going to see it but don't know whether to sit there with glasses over my glasses now ! :p

I found the 3D absolutely fine!

But I must admit the ending confused me. For those that have seen it...
So he kills the Omega, lets say on July 24th 8am.

He then jumps back in time to the previous day where he was landing in the helicopter. Let's say July 23rd 8am. But the news is already announcing the Mimic's are dead? But he didn't kill them until the next day? Huh?

smr

smr

Soldato
Ah well, knew there'd be mixed opinions but I guess for one I won't have to sit there with glasses over my glasses, that can be a bit annoying!

Caporegime
Ah well, knew there'd be mixed opinions but I guess for one I won't have to sit there with glasses over my glasses, that can be a bit annoying!

That's what i did. I really don't think it was worth it, it didn't add to the story or anything. Granted the effects were subtle (as it should be) but some are done with stuff to throw things at your face etc for effect.

I'll get this in 2D on BR I think, the story and action itself is strong enough to be a good movie, without the 3D.

Soldato
I don't really understand why everyone is so up in arms about certain plot points, when to be honest, this is sci-fi fantasy, so in theory, anything could happen.

Did you moan in Inception because people were able to enter other peoples dreams, and people could have dreams within dreams? No.

To me it was the perfect balance of Groundhog day meets Starship Troopers, although
the bit from landing in Paris to the end, did feel a bit too much like the Matrix when the Squidies attack.

8.5/10 purely because even in 2D, the CGI aliens were just too indistinguishable in motion.

Soldato
I don't really understand why everyone is so up in arms about certain plot points, when to be honest, this is sci-fi fantasy, so in theory, anything could happen.

Did you moan in Inception because people were able to enter other peoples dreams, and people could have dreams within dreams? No.

To me it was the perfect balance of Groundhog day meets Starship Troopers, although
the bit from landing in Paris to the end, did feel a bit too much like the Matrix when the Squidies attack.

8.5/10 purely because even in 2D, the CGI aliens were just too indistinguishable in motion.

Oh I really enjoyed it for what it was, but I'm still scratching my head at the ending how it didn't seem to make any sense (time wise) :) Which is a shame really...

Back
Top Bottom