Edge of Tomorrow

Caporegime
I don't really understand why everyone is so up in arms about certain plot points, when to be honest, this is sci-fi fantasy, so in theory, anything could happen.

Did you moan in Inception because people were able to enter other peoples dreams, and people could have dreams within dreams? No.

Err what are you on about? We are merely discussing things that when a movie sets up a set of rules, it lives by it, if it doesn't then there was no point setting up those rules in the first place.

Like the Matrix has its set of rules. If all of the sudden Neo can kill agents towards the end of the trilogy by blinking his eye lids instead of actually fighting them and he said he could do that all along from day 1, would you just accept it ?

In Back to the Future, time travelling is only travelling in time, not space. You end up in the same space no matter what time period you come out. That's its rule all along. It would be ridiculous for Marty to end up in the South Pole half way through the 3rd movie wouldn't it?

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh I really enjoyed it for what it was, but I'm still scratching my head at the ending how it didn't seem to make any sense (time wise) :) Which is a shame really...

It's not difficult to do some SF handwaving and say that
because the Omega was looping time for it's own advantage over that three day period, the blowback of the Omega being killed happens across the days it is straddling in time. Cage gets his final loop back to the beginning of his time loop, the Omega dies everywhere it occupies ie the whole of the loop, and where Cage starts his story. Time travel lets you get away with all kinds of things, it's just problematic being consistent with whatever rules you set up in the story world.

I think there's much more obvious holes to pick such as
instead of trying to get off the beach with Rita to get to the helicopter, why don't they steal a drop ship the night before and fly direct to the German dam, as they do in the final attack on Paris? Why, when trying to save Rita does Cage ignore her for the whole day, fight his way off the beach alone, get the helicopter and go to the decoy Omega site in the dam? If he'd destroyed the Omega by himself, then Rita is long dead on the beach invasion. If every time Cage gets his body killed, but starts his day over with the knowledge of what happened, how does he get stronger, faster, and get the muscle memory to fight the aliens? Is his body looped back through time, and repaired as well as him keeping the knowledge he gains?

And let's not even look at how an alien's blood lets you do what the alien does, even if you accept the alien can loop time.

I've yet to read the book, so maybe the original author explains it all better. In the end, it's a summer action sci-fi movie. You need to cut it some slack, not expect it to tie everything up, and expect to have to come up with a few of your own answers, and just gloss over the stuff that doesn't quite make sense. For that you have to read books, because movies rarely come up to those high standards.

In Back to the Future, time travelling is only travelling in time, not space. You end up in the same space no matter what time period you come out. That's its rule all along. It would be ridiculous for Marty to end up in the South Pole half way through the 3rd movie wouldn't it?

Except the planet, the solar system, the galaxy and the universe are all moving at very high speeds. If you did just travel back in time, you'd end up in space. The fact that BTTF didn't explain a device that locked the car to a particular place on the earth's surface, or talk about how the earths gravity well kept the car on the planet, doesn't spoil the movie for me. You just accept that there is something built into the car that does that, it's one of the rules of the story, and that's okay as long as they don't break that rule without consequences.

Last edited:
Soldato
Err what are you on about? We are merely discussing things that when a movie sets up a set of rules, it lives by it, if it doesn't then there was no point setting up those rules in the first place.

But at no point was there a "set of rules" made up
about the omega dying and what happens.

There was a rule about what happens
when an alpha dies, i.e. 1 day reset.

Oh, and with regards BTTF, along with what Steampunk says about relative position in the universe due to orbits and planet rotations, you also have to take into account the highly regarded science of the finite amount of energy in the Universe, which if suddenly a car and human extra was added, would no longer be finite. :p

Soldato
Errr that's way confusing...I am thinking

The premise is that when the Omega sense that an Alpha has died (whether his blood has passed onto a human), the day resets. That's the Rule No.1 of the film.

That is the rule it used to win the war, the Omega allowed itself to lose first time, then prepare the day again.

The rule also means everything goes back to as if nothing has happened, no one has died, with the exception of the dead alpha. As Cruise got the power of the Alpha, the one that he killed seizes to exists. But normally the Alpha would be alive if it didn't go into Cruise.

So I am thinking. When Cruise killed the Omega, Cruise can reset the start of the day, minus the dead Omega.

That works up to a point

I get that Cruise kills the Alpha and the blood goes into Cruise. This means Cruise in essence becomes an Alpha so the Omega doesn't sense an Alpha has died until Cruise dies causing the day to reset. If the Omega dies first at the end why doesn't Cruise wake up at the FOB? If Cruise dies first why isn't the Omega alive and well still?

I am starting to consider there is no explanation for it apart from being a happy Hollywood ending.

Caporegime
Except the planet, the solar system, the galaxy and the universe are all moving at very high speeds. If you did just travel back in time, you'd end up in space. The fact that BTTF didn't explain a device that locked the car to a particular place on the earth's surface, or talk about how the earths gravity well kept the car on the planet, doesn't spoil the movie for me. You just accept that there is something built into the car that does that, it's one of the rules of the story, and that's okay as long as they don't break that rule without consequences.

Now you are being absurd, of course the planet etc moves ! But the movie's set of rules says you are in the same place. which he is in the same place, on the planet ! :D

Soldato
Now you are being absurd, of course the planet etc moves ! But the movie's set of rules says you are in the same place. which he is in the same place, on the planet ! :D

Technically, "being in the same place" would mean they would be out in space, because the earth wouldn't be there - it would be somewhere else. The Delorean would have to also move millions, if not billions of miles through space to end up on the surface of the earth where it was thirty years before. The surface of the earth is not a fixed point in space, so the car must move in space as well as time.

That's never mentioned in the movie, and that's okay. Not everything has to be logically explained even though we know it's a plot hole.

Soldato
Technically, "being in the same place" would mean they would be out in space, because the earth wouldn't be there - it would be somewhere else. The Delorean would have to also move millions, if not billions of miles through space to end up on the surface of the earth where it was thirty years before. The surface of the earth is not a fixed point in space, so the car must move in space as well as time.

That's never mentioned in the movie, and that's okay. Not everything has to be logically explained even though we know it's a plot hole.

It's clearly all just down to quantum entanglement over a 4th dimension! *waves scifi hands in air*

Note: I watched the new X-Man film last night, and I have to say, I enjoyed Edge Of Tomorrow more.

Soldato
Can someone do me a favour and go through the events that happen before the reset point as I missed them and it's really bugging me.
I have no idea why he was arrested.

Soldato
Can someone do me a favour and go through the events that happen before the reset point as I missed them and it's really bugging me.
I have no idea why he was arrested.

He appeared to attempt to black mail the General. ie: If send me to the front line, maybe there will be a smear campaign against you!

The General took offense to this and threw him in the deep end as a deserter!

Soldato
WOW! That's bad!

The forum's email notifications show/include stuff in SPOILER tags, therefore throwing SPOILER information in peoples faces who may not want it!

Bad!

Caporegime
Here's one for you. Just after the general issues the arrest order and Cruise starts running - I am pretty sure I heard a soundbite from Goldeneye N64 (a woman groaning).

smr

smr

Soldato
Went to see it today at 5.20 there were 6 people including myself and the missus in the whole cinema!!

Absolutely loved the film. Funny, fresh, great action and awesome storyline. Will watch again!

Soldato
Watched this last night and I would rate it was a good flim.

I expected a lot more action and war bits but pretty happy with it still. One of the few to rewatch.

Back
Top Bottom