What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
[TW]Fox;26695369 said:
Drove it to the North East. Or tried. Set off at 10ish only just got as far as Sheffield. Just awful awful traffic.

I was supposed to be going to Scotland via the M1/A1 and turned back just south of Sheffield, roads were shocking! It's like a little bit of rain after all the sun and everyone loses their mind :eek: plus the roadworks etc all combined to make it not worth the trip.

Associate
Driving the v50 to work yesterday. Lost boost presure no turbo spool at all at any rev.

Shut the car off and startex it again and it was fine for the rest of my commute. Really strange, looks like I need to spend some time cleaning the trottle body and ultimately egr delete needs to happen.

Soldato
Hmm - you sure about that?

The egr is a very mechanical thing - its either clogged up or it isn't, switching off the car should...in theory at least make no difference.

Similar story with the throttle body, if its coked up then the butterfly won't open or close properly or as swiftly as it should but again it should be a constant issue and certainly would t lead to you having no boost? I guess if the tps at the throttle body end is buggered then I can see that causing a similar issue just not the egr

Last edited:
Soldato
Driving the v50 to work yesterday. Lost boost presure no turbo spool at all at any rev.

Shut the car off and startex it again and it was fine for the rest of my commute. Really strange, looks like I need to spend some time cleaning the trottle body and ultimately egr delete needs to happen.

Sounds more like a vacuum pressure issue to me tbh. Could be a sticking wastegate.

Soldato
On newer Euro4 cars (2006+) and later the EGR has electronic position feedback so if the EGR is getting clogged the position feedback will see that it's not closed fully for a long duration of time (to avoid seeing transient errors) and put the engine into limp-home or similar but an engine restart can clear that code and it can take a while before it comes back.

So an EGR clean alone *can* help but usually it's better to blank it off after the clean to avoid the issue ever coming back.

Associate
Fitted an adjustable clutch stop to the Z4. This removes the dead space between the clutch fully depressed and when the clutch starts to bite.

ClutchStop.jpg

The original on the left and new one on the right. You can see the hole where it screws into to the left of the brake peddle.

Soldato
Your not wrong but i'm not willing to give up on it, I bought it as a 15k project so knew it was going to need some work, just never anticipated this much. Now that the engine is fixed and I have two heads that are in perfect condition, new ims, rms etc it should just be a case of bringing the rest of the car up to standard. Probably another 4k or a bit more to put into it before it is perfect.

Fair play to you for sticking with it, don't think I'd have had the patience. I'll come back to this thread every time I'm tempted by a cheap Porsche. :p

Soldato
Fitted an adjustable clutch stop to the Z4. This removes the dead space between the clutch fully depressed and when the clutch starts to bite.

[IMGhttp://www.vividphotos.co.uk/Z4M/ClutchStop.jpg[/IMG]
The original on the left and new one on the right. You can see the hole where it screws into to the left of the brake peddle.

So the clutch bites as soon as you move it from the deadstop?

Soldato
I'd rather that than have a weird clutch pedal that doesn't go all the way down. I almost can't believe it would be considered a problem that the clutch doesn't bite right at the bottom.

Soldato
I'd rather that than have a weird clutch pedal that doesn't go all the way down. I almost can't believe it would be considered a problem that the clutch doesn't bite right at the bottom.

Weird biting points seem common in a few cars. My MX5 used to bite as soon as the pedal was half a nano metre off the carpet and felt bloody awful. Adjusting it upwards made it not only feel more natural and progressive, but also made gear shfits smoother, and was considered a very common mod.

In the GT86 the opposite is true at stock - the clutch pedal sits way too high in relation to the brake, and doesn't bite until right at the top of the travel. The result was jerky pull away, and far too much clutch slip when changing gear. Even with my seat right back, it still feels like I have my chin resting on my knee before the clutch pedal is fully up and engaged. Again, common and quite easy to adjust the pedal to suit - I adjusted mine down level with the brake pedal and it's much more natural now.

Soldato
Had BMW assist out after the car threw chassis warnings 4 times in the last 4 days, as advised by the dealer after getting it booked in to get it checked after the 1st time it did it. Turns out the sensor in the front right shock is faulty and reporting value that are "improbable" according to the diag. When it throws the fault it goes into failsafe mode, which shuts all the valves so the suspension turns into solid girders, I'm surprised I have any teeth left after having to drive it 20 miles...

Back
Top Bottom