Are you overweight?

Soldato
Oh yeah, I'd love to **** out mushed up undigested food... Chilli Con Carne, crunchy nut granola, I'm sure that would feel grand. :p

"Are you alright in there?!"

"NO! I DIDN'T CHEW MY DINNER ENOUGH AND IT HURTS!"

Yup; you'd have a butt hole like a close range shotgun wound.

Soldato
Up until 5 years ago I most certainly was, too much beer, fried foods, cream buns and the like but a medical problem soon put paid to that and I have lost enough weight to find that I am 4 inches narrower around the waist.

But the amount of ads on the TV for snacks and sugar filled soft drinks made me realise how difficult it must be to eat the 'right' stuff. One ad even goes so far as to say that it's product is the most important snack of the day. Yet these snacks are filled with sugar or fat or both for all I know.

Any of you diet and how successful are you?

Society for you,

We'll sell you **** that destroys your health, now we'll sell you the terrible drugs that also have negative effects to try and get it back.

I eat really clean and I don't drink regularly (Aside like 4-5 times a year maybe? depends on occasion), exercise and eat a lot of veg etc and stay away from processed foods aside odd thing here and there maybe once or twice a month like pack of crisps or something (You don't have to be a robot but there are "healthier" unhealthy snacks you can probably get away with now and again). So I've never had a problem with weight but bad diet isn't all about weight.

What I suggest is get some good books, proper ones about nutrition not fad diets a couple good ones to get started are

150 healthiest foods
The ultra mind solution
Primal blueprint

Massive discipline (At the beginning because getting off sugar/bad food is tough, and it's normal to feel crapp) is required above all though + some knowledge and you'll be set.

The bottom line I always say to people about eating healthy is how much BETTER you will feel. You'll have way more energy and of course be far healthier. It's just win/win to me.

Last edited:
Soldato
5'11" @ 98KG had me as obese which is pretty laughable as I would consider myself fit - especially in comparison with friends of mine who are considered the proper weight (yet have more visible body fat)

I have a size 34 / 36 waist which I am working on at the moment - looking to get down to around about 10% BF so I do have a fair wee bit to lose over the next year or so. I started at around 17 and a half stone at the start of this year so making real progress. In all honesty though as soon as I hit my goal BF, I will be looking at adding lean mass slowly which will probably put me back in the overweigh category again

Man of Honour
Is it healthy to have a body like a gorilla? Humans are endurance animals; built for running long distances better than almost any other mammal.

I wish I was like a gorilla - that would be awesome, amazing power to weight strength. But they're vegetarian :( We're not all endurance animals really, there's a huge genetic scale even back to Greek and Roman times where you had your Herculean men, and those that did a lout of scout work - there's always been that diverse genetic pool.

Actually running for long distances isn't optimised on 2 legs, 4 legs is far more efficient for roaming large distances.

Surely having a mixture of both strength, and fitness is a better compromise no?

I actually don't know the answer, but intuitively I would think that it's not good for your heart and digestion (higher calorie intake) to be so heavily muscled.

With respect that really isn't quite true. The strain on your heart isn't any higher if you carry muscle, as an athlete (whether long distance, rugby, or swimmer) you can suffer from LVH (Left Ventricular Hypertrophy) which is a heart condition, but doesn't necessarily carry negative health implications, but it has an effect. Similarly by doing nothing, you heart gets covered in fatty tissues, your arteries become restricted and so on - you know the score.

Exercise and pushing your heart to elevated levels is perfectly normal, and your body adapts to that "strain" well, and is designed to be able to increase the heart rate when your body needs more "oomph".

So having a more muscular physique and eating a bit more will do no negative aspect to your body, if anything it'll enhance it's efficiency. A good diet, and regular exercise, and higher percentage of muscle and lower bodyfat increases your metabolism or should I say, makes it more efficient at dealing/processing food.

Being muscular can mean long distance stuff is less efficient or more difficult, that I don't deny. However, to say that we are designed for long distance, is wrong, we are designed actually, to be very efficient at short intense spurts of effort, many times. However, we've conditioned our bodies to be able to do both. :)

Society for you,

We'll sell you **** that destroys your health, now we'll sell you the terrible drugs that also have negative effects to try and get it back.

I eat really clean and I don't drink regularly (Aside like 4-5 times a year maybe? depends on occasion), exercise and eat a lot of veg etc and stay away from processed foods aside odd thing here and there maybe once or twice a month like pack of crisps or something (You don't have to be a robot but there are "healthier" unhealthy snacks you can probably get away with now and again). So I've never had a problem with weight but bad diet isn't all about weight.

What I suggest is get some good books, proper ones about nutrition not fad diets a couple good ones to get started are

150 healthiest foods
The ultra mind solution
Primal blueprint

Massive discipline is required above all though + some knowledge and you'll be set.

The bottom line I always say to people about eating healthy is how much BETTER you will feel. You'll have way more energy and of course be far healthier. It's just win/win to me.

Agreed - I find it quite easy to eat healthily but that's because unhealthy food has no appeal to me, if I had a choice between crisps, or some unsalted/unroasted nuts, I'd choose the latter.

The discipline starts to wear off and it becomes a part of life rather than something your consciously do, it becomes automatic.

Soldato
Last Sept i was 15 stone 10lbs....now i am 13 stone 3lbs but way more leaner/muscular too.When the lower back fat started to appear a fair bit i thought it was time to stop being lazy and hitting the gym which i go to 5 times a week now sometimes 6.

Was 37 inch waist now 32....bodyfat was 31-32% now 15%...i am 6 foot 2 too so i would say fairly good shape now for my height.

I eat 4 times a day but good stuff mainly thought not perfect like some experienced fitness people on here but it's extremely important with exercise however i certainly make sure i never skip breakfast.

Not drinking Alcohol often is a big plus.

Soldato
The discipline starts to wear off and it becomes a part of life rather than something your consciously do, it becomes automatic.

Agree,

Nuts are great I love them and always if I feel like I want something "nice" on the rare occasion I'll try go to something like that rather than say crisps or something else.

I think a lot of time people struggle with a diet because they start it and the first month it SUCKS HUGE BALLS and they think they'll feel like that permanently throughout the entire duration of the diet.

But it's not true, like you said it becomes automatic and requires less discipline. I don't really think about it much now, I'll get odd craving and have to squash it but for most part I don't have to think about it.

Was 37 inch waist now 32....bodyfat was 31-32% now 15%...i am 6 foot 2 too so i would say fairly good shape now for my height.

I eat 4 times a day but good stuff mainly thought not perfect like some experienced fitness people on here but it's extremely important with exercise however i certainly make sure i never skip breakfast.

Not drinking Alcohol often is a big plus.

Nice, that's a great change.

No alcohol definitely will be a big help.

Last edited:
Soldato
I somehow look insanely lanky when I'm not really; my BMI is about 23-24 off the top of my head and I'm about 6'4". My waist is 34 but most would never guess that looking at me.

Soldato
I think I am about 0.5 to 1 stone overweight. It is hard to estimate exactly but I think I should be around 12 stone (based on the last time I was slim), when I am actually 13 stone.
I am not massively concerned. I am very fit, I do a fair bit of running and have found that this is not something that has declined much regardless of appearance or the amount of training. e.g I will run 10 miles in 1hr10 -1hr15. I dont know if this was a result of doing a lot of exercise (mainly cycling) in my teens and early twenties or genetics.

In general I eat extremely healthily, I am a stay at home father at the moment and I feed them extremely well in terms all home cooked food with a lot of vegetable, fruit, fish and good quality meat. I think my main issue is eating too much. As a father there is a tendancy to eat what the kids leave! There is also the issue that mealtimes with childre take hours, and i think i get bored and eat more! I have been around 13 stone for around 5 years. I think I place a subconscious limit on my weight and never seem to go much above it. As I eat with family all the time I find it hard to be restrictive about what I eat. When the family go off to my wifes parents I do find I tend to eat a lot less.

Soldato
180cm and around 70kg / 11 stone, would estimate around 10% body fat based on my measurements and the fact I have some stomach muscle definition, but not really a six pack. I have crohn's disease which basically stops me getting any heavier even if I don't eat super healthily, I could eat 3000 calories or so per day without putting on weight, even if I didn't get a great amount of exercise most days.

Soldato
I wish I was like a gorilla - that would be awesome, amazing power to weight strength. But they're vegetarian :( We're not all endurance animals really, there's a huge genetic scale even back to Greek and Roman times where you had your Herculean men, and those that did a lout of scout work - there's always been that diverse genetic pool.

Actually running for long distances isn't optimised on 2 legs, 4 legs is far more efficient for roaming large distances.

http://www.slate.com/articles/sport..._horses_but_can_t_jump_higher_than_cats_.html

Man is the long distance champion on the world (on land).

Permabanned
I have never been overweight. Always been pretty slim my entire life. If anything I have the opposite problem. I struggle to put weight on and have been underweight at times. I pretty much eat however much I want whenever I want and have never been remotely close to being overweight. Honestly I would probably struggle to become overweight even if I tried.

Soldato
I have never been overweight. Always been pretty slim my entire life. If anything I have the opposite problem. I struggle to put weight on and have been underweight at times. I pretty much eat however much I want whenever I want and have never been remotely close to being overweight. Honestly I would probably struggle to become overweight even if I tried.

It's because Hecarim is OP.

Man of Honour

Okay I actually made a mistake, in that we are better at covering large distances, but 4 legged animals are better at running. So thanks for the correction. :) The fact that running the long distance destroys the joints in our bodies doesn't really lead my to believe that it is a worthwhile thing to do, whereas an animal on 4 has less joint issues doing 20km repeatedly.

Anyway, be that as it may, whilst an elite few can run long distance it doesn't mean to say that humans as a species are all designed to do the same. We all have slightly different physiologies and skills. :)

For health and fat loss, 30 minutes of intense exercise has much more benefit than plodding for hours on concrete. Furthermore, incorporate a little resistance (and I don't mean big weights) and not only will you improve muscle definition, you'll improve bone density too.

Caporegime
I'm not overweight. I exercise and eat a good diet.

WAIT, IT'S ALMOST LIKE ALL THAT GOOD ADVICE WAS TRUE AFTER ALL :eek: :eek: :eek:

I am aware that the advice is true, I choose not to excercise because I am lazy, I choose to eat unhealthily because I love food and I am an idiot. :p

Last I checked (last night) I was 14st 12lbs and I am 6ft dead.

I need to be between 9.5 and 12.5 stone to be in the healthy caragory, and I agree with that. I'm probably 2 - 3 stone overweight as I'm quite heavily built.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Around 15 stone at 6ft 2. BMI says I'm overweight slightly and I'd agree with that, I've lost around a stone in the past month though through limiting my calorie intake. I've done it through intermittent fasting where I leave myself a couple of hour window each day to eat and then I'm very strict with myself on only having water outside of that. The 1st week was tough but it feels fine now, your body adapts quickly.

Last edited:
Associate
I run at about 22 - 23 on the BMI chart. I am like Freefaller when it comes to what I eat. Lived a healthy lifestyle for so long that I only tend to eat what I need to fuel my body. Rarely drink alcohol, I hate the taste of beer and there aren't many other alcoholic drinks I enjoy the flavour of so no loss there. If I have a treat it might be a home baked cake or if I have a meal out with the g/f I will allow myself to indulge.

I'm a frequent exerciser. I cycle to work daily and use the work gym daily too. I'd like to think that all round I have a relatively good fitness level and physique without going taking it to extremes. My only issue is I was always a really skinny person so even though I've got some muscle now to me I still look small.

Back
Top Bottom