Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Easily.
If you think of an hour-long road time trial, you would expect Wiggins/Cancellara/Martin to beat Jens by at least 5-6 mins. At that speed, they'll cover an extra 5k+ in that time.

I'd back wiggins personally, he's a seasoned track rider.

Hutch has gone on record as saying coming out of the turns cleaner could've got Jens another 200m...

edit:dowsett considering a crack at it too...

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Would love to see Tony Martin give it a crack. Looks like it could be exciting times for the hour record! Not entirely sure I approve of being able to use aero bars though, they ought to have stuck with drop bars to keep it all on a level playing field.

In LED news, I got an email from Knog and they're putting a replacement light in the post. Chuffed!

Soldato
Would love to see Tony Martin give it a crack. Looks like it could be exciting times for the hour record! Not entirely sure I approve of being able to use aero bars though, they ought to have stuck with drop bars to keep it all on a level playing field.

In LED news, I got an email from Knog and they're putting a replacement light in the post. Chuffed!

if you read hutch's book, the old rules were putting people off making any attempts. They were ridiculously narrow, and seemingly made up on the spot at times

using a bike that's permitted in another class of track competition makes it much simpler, an almost off-the-peg effort can be used. I'd expect to see Wiggo using one of the marginal-gains-tastic BC track bikes...

Man of Honour
Thats quite a nice coast to coast there, big ride though! Hope you've got a decent set of bibs!

My padded shorts are starting to show their age tbh and even at their best they weren't that great. I may suffer a little :p

I do need to buy more actually. I bought some bib tights thinking that I'd need them soon but the weather has been crazy warm.

Soldato
Garmin / Slipstream selling off a few of their Cervelos from the past two years since they will be on Cannondale next year.

Eight left on their website, not badly priced, but the forks have been cut and the stems slammed, if you can put up with a super aggressive position then they could be for you!

BMC getting rid of big priced riders too with Cadel set to retire and Thor Hushovd to retire too. Cadel has still been a good rider, but Thor has won nothing since signing for BMC due to a "virus".

I'd like to see a younger team built for TJ and Taylor Phinney to target the GTs, not sure they have what it takes to win one yet but both are young still.

Last edited:
Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone else eyeing up this challenge?

http://www.strava.com/challenges/eddy-merckx-1969-challenge

35km a day seems achievable. A few long rides and you've got some leeway for bad weather/off days.

In, should get about half done by Tuesday, as doing a works charity ride which is about 120 miles over the two days and going out on Sunday too!

In other news, debating whether to buy a Boardman Team Carbon with the following description

Boardman Team Carbon large (56cm) 2010 for sale. It was serviced in May this year and has only done about 60 miles since due too being busy. It comes with zipp 60 carbon clincher wheelset which has only done about 240miles in good weather and has conti gp 4000s tyres attached with plenty of life left. In May when it was serviced i upgraded the seatpost and bars to ritchey carbon, the stem to a ritchey carbon alloy stem. And some new carbon shimano pedals were put on. Like i said in my previous post only seeling because i need the money and space for a another bike. (my name on the frame is a sticker and can easily come off) Looking for £1000

Basically thinking of taking the Zipps off it, putting my Mavic Aksiums on and chucking on ebay, reckon I would make enough to warrant paying for the Zipps?

Soldato
A lad I know needed a bike stripped prior to getting it powdercoated and he'd been quoted mad prices by the LBSs. I offered to do it for £20 thinking it would be easy enough. 10 minutes later everything was on the floor waiting to be bagged up apart from the bottom bracket... I thought about giving him a tenner back as it hardly seemed fair.

Started on the BB though and first the plastic NDS cup cracked and had to be pulled out in bits. This did not fill me with confidence about the metal driveside cup. It was totally seized and not moving an inch. After a lot of swearing, finally getting it out took me bolting the BB tool in place and using a meter long breaker extension bar over the wrench to even get it to turn. :o Grease those threads people!

Safe to say he got value for his £20 after that faffing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom