Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Payday yesterday so bit the bullet and ordered the Garmin GSC10... Considered buying a £15 alternative cheapy one from china but as I was ordering more stuff from wiggle (ready for winter!) I thought I may as well... 'Some' stuff = £130! Ouch! But included in there are a pair of pro4e's and some inner tubes! ;)

Associate
Signed up at the gym today as I'll be without bike for the next 2 months so need some way of maintaining fitness. After riding a road bike for the last year trying to use the bike machine just feels weird.

Associate
Nice to ride in this morning, but despite riding very casually I could feel my knee complaining :(

I think more than a month off is in order. Rest up, let everything knit back together and start again from scratch. I think it's the most sensible thing to do :(

Have you checked your cleats lately , they could be worn out or adjusted wrongly. Sometimes just a small adjustment will sort out knee problems or maybe your shoes need replacing or maybe buying some insoles or arch supports will do the trick

Soldato
Bumped into one of my neighbours this morning and he said to 'give him a holla' if I 'fancy a ride' - luckily I had my bike with me at the time. We chatted and I've now got an open invite to 'an easy 20 or 30 miles'... :D

How do I build up to that distance? For those that don't know - all I've really ridden the last year is my 4.3 mile work commute...! :o

Soldato
Really impressed with these waterproof cycling trousers I just got through from China for when it gets a little wetter.

Great fit, and nice materials, yet to fully test but the water did just bead up on the top of the material and roll straight off. Great value for the £15 I paid

Soldato
Bumped into one of my neighbours this morning and he said to 'give him a holla' if I 'fancy a ride' - luckily I had my bike with me at the time. We chatted and I've now got an open invite to 'an easy 20 or 30 miles'... :D

How do I build up to that distance? For those that don't know - all I've really ridden the last year is my 4.3 mile work commute...! :o

If you've been riding the commute all year then I'd imagine you would be able to do 20 miles without batting an eyelid. It's not a big distance and is probably more of a mental obstacle than a physical one. I'd say 90% of my rides are about 5-8 miles, but I can jump out and do 20-50 no problem.

Caporegime

You won't have any issues at all with that kind of distance.

Soldato

I think I've suggest this before. Just go for it.

If you were jumping from 5 miles to 50 miles then okay, build up to it. But in an hour you could cycle 15 miles easily. Jump to 15 miles. Do that a few times. It will hurt to begin with as your body adjusts. But then go to 20 miles.

Soldato
Thanks guys, I'm fairly sure you're right - mind over matter and all that!

My commute has no climbing, I did a similar distance with 300ft of climbing a couple of weekends ago and buried myself (and suffered for 4 days), but I think more distance of the same (ie not climbing!) is in order this weekend :)

Soldato
Yep, you will be able to do 15 miles. I'm sure of it. Give yourself enough time so you don't have to rush. We're not talking massive miles.

We took one of our mates on a 30mile hilly route for his first ride to start him off. It knackered him. He hadn't done any cycling for years. But he did it!

Now considering you cycle on a regular basis. I reckon 15 miles on a flat route will be manageable.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Tredz took 3 weeks to send a replacement tho.. Which worked fine! :O
I've gone direct, because I got it from an eBay shop. You pays your money etc.

Think he uses toe clips.
Yeah, I'm on toe clips and always have been. Feet tend to auto-align in clips.

As I said, I think this is a soft tissue injury from riding big fixed gearing which has turned into a bit of RSI when I switched to a geared bike. Adding increased running distances onto that has not helped. I really want to take a break, let the muscle bulk on my thighs drop off and start afresh.

Soldato

You'll be fine, I took a friend of mine out (girl) for a 30 mile ride on her husbands heavy hybrid bike, she reckoned she hadn't ridden a bike for a good 5 years, smoked 15 a day, liked her wine, but got round at about 13-14 miles an hour with very few stops, and it wasn't exactly a flat route.

Associate
Just got the start times for my first ever hill climb TT - I also saw Arsey on there!

Dreading it as I'm still low on fitness following my crash, but I guess it gives me a benchmark for next year!

Is that the Leith Hill one?
Really wanted to do that this year but its a mate's leaving do that w/e :(
Maybe Ill just TT it up there and see how I compare one of these days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom