** Star Wars Episode VII - SPOILERS WITHIN **

jc0

jc0

Associate
It was fairly dark. Torture, Ren murdering unarmed civilians, people being impaled on lightsabers. I don't really know what you wanted.

True.

I think that the villain was an absolute damp squib. Looked like the most powerful Sith we'd seen at the start, but by the end he'd been revealed as looking like a public schoolboy and was owned by two people on their first outings with a lightsaber.

Caporegime
Ren was an incredible character. He (Driver) portrayed a torn, confused, emotionally vulnerable character. In terms of his force and ability with a lightsabre, well it was summed up with his conversation with his father. Snoke is only using him for his power. He's a raw, young, uneducated (in the force) character. He's not accustom to fighting against people whom can fight back, and he was also incredibly injured when it came to the final fight. They made a point of highlighting how powerful Chewie's bowcaster was throughout the film and Ren takes a shot to his torso and tries to 'walk it off'.

Also; it was a dark film. Darker than any of the original trilogy.

Soldato
This has made up for the more recent 3 in spades for me. Yes there were a few bits that were not good but that can be said about virtually every good film ever made.

For some reason all seemed right to me when the first character to speak in the film was played by Max von Sydow.

I thought General Hux's speech to the troops was poor.

I had a feeling Han was going to die as Harrison Ford wanted the character killed off in the original trilogy.

I though Daisy Ridley was going to be poor in this, some of her lines as voice over in a trailer didn't sound well delivered to me, but I was wrong, she was fine. She's now a favourite of mine in Star Wars.

The reveal of Kylo Ren under the mask, whom I thought was Adam Samberg for a few seconds, was a mistake for me. What he looked like under the mask was irrelevant and also a bit too unbelievable for what the character was. The actor did a good job under the mask.

I was so hoping Snoke would turn out to be Luke and I did think Rey was going to be Han and Leia's daughter as, and I haven't checked t'internet but I'm sure they also had a Jedi daughter in the expanded universe. Maybe in the next film.

Also the best bit? No sign or mention of Jar Jar ****ing Binks.

8/10 and to sum my thoughts up, **** you Lucas.

Man of Honour
The only reason I think they can get away with making Ren look so weak is because of how many times they stressed how his training is incomplete, which gives them room to make him a total badass in the next films.

Caporegime
The only reason I think they can get away with making Ren look so weak is because of how many times they stressed how his training is incomplete, which gives them room to make him a total badass in the next films.

He was also shot with the Bowcaster - which they made a point of showing how powerful it was, killing multiple Stormtroopers et cetera, yet Ren takes a single shot to the torso and keeps going. The man is a bit of a tank, a raw, uneducated (in the force), emotionally unstable tank.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
True.

I think that the villain was an absolute damp squib. Looked like the most powerful Sith we'd seen at the start, but by the end he'd been revealed as looking like a public schoolboy and was owned by two people on their first outings with a lightsaber.

If you start looking that way, you will spoil it for yourself completely, as I did this morning over morning coffee, because characters in TFA are JJ Abrams skin deep.
- Jedi master who's so traumatised by the slaughter of younglings that he ef offs to remote Irish planet, leaving half a map to his new home in his droid (nobody thought to search through for 30 years), half a map to a random tent dweller on a sandy planet and his fathers light sabre as collateral for unpaid bar tab to the owner of Mos Isley Tavern II. Once the map to Skellig Michael is put together - tada - there he is, exactly as on the map, still standing on the cliff and looking at the water, torn and somber as on day one.
- The once second last remaining Jedi in the universe, who was so busy with political and military career she still didn't have time to master the force.
- The scavenger girl who's stupid enough to wait on a slave planet for 15 years for a family she doesn't even remember and couldn't possibly recognise but discovers she's more powerful than any Jedi in history five minutes after she hears about Jedi for the first time. Because she never met Yoda or Kenobi, and her training wasn't screwed up according to cannon, she can freely use her anger and hate to become uber master of all the hardest tricks (snaps fingers) just like that.
- Indoctrinated from birth toilet cleaning Stormtrooper who's so emotionally torn by his first outing outside of sanitary technician department and sacking of a random desert village that he decides to murder all of his friends and co-workers literally five minutes later.
- The third generation of Empire leaders, architects and technicians making the same Death Star mistakes, but this time they select to use a planet, you know - unmovable object that rotates around its axis, I hope all the planets they want to destroy and within circumferential line of sight.

We can continue on and on, but it's going to lead us into dark place

Last edited:
Associate
By the looks of it and the filming locations, I'd say Skellig Michael County Kerry.

Yes that's the place... strange to see a well known RW location in this... and the bunkers at Greenham Common ;)

Anyway, saw it this morning, and we are just off to see it again... I LOVED IT!!!... it was everything I hoped it would be.

Star Wars is back... thank you JJ :D

I'm tempted (or the kid in me is) to give it 10/10 but like anything its not perfect, so 9/10.

Man of Honour
Loved it - absolutely loved it.

I do have one minor minor gripe though:

How come R2 just woke up? Was rather convinient.... Am I just being thick??

Associate
Second question: Google Play Movies have the 1-6 in HD Digital for £47 which I get for £42.30 as I'm a Play Music sub.

Worth it over the Blu Rays which are going at £50 on Prime?

Edit: Found the blurays for the same price as Google.

Last edited:

jc0

jc0

Associate
They made a point of highlighting how powerful Chewie's bowcaster was throughout the film and Ren takes a shot to his torso and tries to 'walk it off'.

Also; it was a dark film. Darker than any of the original trilogy.

That's a really good point. But then I'd question how he was able to get shot in the first place - he'd been stopping blaster shots in mid-air with his back turned.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Meh.

Far from 9/10 as imdb states, but it was a true homage unlike the last 3.

What in the **** have they been doing since VI? Having kids and teaching jedi. Did they even try finishing off the empire?

Soldato
Great film and a return to form for Star Wars after the **** show of the prequels, despite there admittedly being a few oddities plot-wise. Rey is a great character.

Even my GF enjoyed it and I basically had to drag her in.

8.5/10 for me.

Back
Top Bottom