*** Show us your Dogs ***

Associate
Hey all,

Looking at getting a chocolate labby in the next 3-6 months, just wanted to get peoples views on buying.

I've looked on a number of websites and KC registered is mentioned often, usually on the pups costing just under a grand. Should KC registered be a deal breaker for me?

Also seeing some grading for eyes, elbows, hips etc. No idea what these numbers mean but, are they a legit thing I should be paying attention to?

Thanks,
Harry

Soldato
Hey all,

Looking at getting a chocolate labby in the next 3-6 months, just wanted to get peoples views on buying.

I've looked on a number of websites and KC registered is mentioned often, usually on the pups costing just under a grand. Should KC registered be a deal breaker for me?

Also seeing some grading for eyes, elbows, hips etc. No idea what these numbers mean but, are they a legit thing I should be paying attention to?

Thanks,
Harry
If its your first dog I would recommend you research and try and find a reputable breeder. Preferrably one that is KC Approved. They have an assured breeder scheme which inspects the breeder. Some breeds can have a propensity to suffer from various genetic weaknesses. A good breeder will research lines and ensure that the Sire and dam are well matched and don't propogate interbreeding.

I don't know much about eyes and elbows but Hip Scoring is normally done by serious breeders. I think you are looking for combined score of under the breed average on the mum and dad. The lower the better. Occasionally you do see a dog with 0:0 score. It gives a good indication of the likelihood of any hip problems with the dogs progeny.

A good breeder will give you lifetime care and advice. Their litters will be well planned but then its all down to you to commit and train. I am afraid you get out what you put in with dogs.

I'd register on Champdogs to look for litters for your chosen breed. Its much better to start there than Pets4homes.com

Oh and btw puppies are really hard work. Cute yes but very demanding.

Last edited:
Soldato
Coco the Cockerpoo, about 4 months old now, she's such a good dog ;)

coco_zpsaky14df0.jpg

Never really had a "small dog" before and it so nice to take her out, everybody fusses her and tells us how cute and beautiful she is (which she is).

HEADRAT

Last edited:
Associate
I'd register on Champdogs to look for litters for your chosen breed. Its much better to start there than Pets4homes.com

Oh and btw puppies are really hard work. Cute yes but very demanding.

I'm just looking on there now but non of the puppies are priced, is there a reason for this? I'm worried that I may get ripped off if they realise I am a first time dog owner.

Thanks.

Soldato
I'm just looking on there now but non of the puppies are priced, is there a reason for this? I'm worried that I may get ripped off if they realise I am a first time dog owner.

Thanks.

I'd expect to pay £700-£100 for a good pedigree puppy. Call the breeders but be prepared for a good ones to grill you on how you will look after the dog. As a rule they will want to know how long a dog would be left on its own, have you any children and what age they are. The reasons for this are that they do get people who fancy a puppy and then realise how hard it is when said labrador has eaten their house and ****ed everywhere and then want to give it back or worse give it away. Don't be offended by these questions they are for yours and the dogs benefit.

Associate
I'd expect to pay £700-£100 for a good pedigree puppy. Call the breeders but be prepared for a good ones to grill you on how you will look after the dog. As a rule they will want to know how long a dog would be left on its own, have you any children and what age they are. The reasons for this are that they do get people who fancy a puppy and then realise how hard it is when said labrador has eaten their house and ****ed everywhere and then want to give it back or worse give it away. Don't be offended by these questions they are for yours and the dogs benefit.

Thanks Calpol.

Most of the pups I had seen were around 850, so that sort of price range is fine.

Thanks for the heads up on the questions. By the time we get a puppy I'll have children ages 1, 2, and 3. Reason I was looking at labbys was because I saw they were supposed to be good family dogs (if trained of course).

Hopefully the kids won't be an issue for breeders, the dog will have company pretty much all of the time.

Soldato
Thanks Calpol.

Most of the pups I had seen were around 850, so that sort of price range is fine.

Thanks for the heads up on the questions. By the time we get a puppy I'll have children ages 1, 2, and 3. Reason I was looking at labbys was because I saw they were supposed to be good family dogs (if trained of course).

Hopefully the kids won't be an issue for breeders, the dog will have company pretty much all of the time.
Be prepared for a bit of a grilling. How will your partner cope with a puppy and three babies etc? We got our last puppy when my eldest was just 6 months. It was tough and a few breeders would not sell us a dog. A few times I came home to an exhausted wife demanding the puppy be rehomed!! It worked out ok in the end and we had 12 years with him but they are a tie and quite demanding. don't take this the wrong way as I don't want to seem judgemental but think long and hard about it. If you are out working and the Mrs is at home with three babies and a puppy be prepared for a some rocky times!!!

Associate

This is Harvey, hes coming up 12 now, probably the only time hes let me take a cute photo of him... Hes half Labrador and half Border Terrier but yet hes bigger in size, and skinnier than a lab, and in my opinion, got the best genes from both breeds!
Got plenty more, need to upload them for memories as I always seem to lose them on old phones etc!

Last edited:
Soldato
Here is our new family member. She's a 2.5 yo Weimaraner we just rescued. Only been here two days but she's already charming us. A few little accidents but overall she's settling in well. Its our third Weimaraner. Lost our last one in Oct 2014. Took a while to get over losing him but now we feel ready to try again. No puppy this time as we don't have quite the lifestyle.

2015-12-31%2010.26.20%20(2).jpg

Associate
Be prepared for a bit of a grilling. How will your partner cope with a puppy and three babies etc? We got our last puppy when my eldest was just 6 months. It was tough and a few breeders would not sell us a dog. A few times I came home to an exhausted wife demanding the puppy be rehomed!! It worked out ok in the end and we had 12 years with him but they are a tie and quite demanding. don't take this the wrong way as I don't want to seem judgemental but think long and hard about it. If you are out working and the Mrs is at home with three babies and a puppy be prepared for a some rocky times!!!

All fair points, need to talk with the Mrs. in more depth I think.

Cheers for all your help.

Soldato
I can confirm that a puppy is a lot of work! Only had Millie (that is what we decided to call her) 3 days now but it has been somewhat of an eye opening/rude awakening. Separation anxiety is a very real thing and really gets to the nurturing instinct I apparently have in me. Drives me mad.

Leaving her in her crate while we sleep or go to work and she whines and whines and whines. Even if we are visible to her in say the kitchen and she is on the sofa in the living room, she wines because she can't get to us (she really is tiny!).

Everyone reassures us that this is normal and with the right willpower and training she will accept the crate and the fact that we have to leave her alone sometimes, and she will be sleeping downstairs while we sleep upstairs. Living in a terraced house my thoughts are for my neighbours. We got the puppy, not them, not fair that they have to deal with the whining as well. I guess if we had a baby there isn't a lot we could do, nor them!

So many mixed feelings at the moment, I want this to work but can't help but think "send her back! My life was quite peaceful until now!" haha. A bit of perseverance and I am sure it will all work out for the best (I am looking for reassurance here guys, tell me it's going to be ok!)

Soldato
Having lost my last woof 3.5yrs ago and always saying I would not get another.... I have just re-homed this gorgeous Brittany (historically called a Brittany Spaniel).

She was called Bisous - But we have changed her name to Bee so that we do not sound ridiculous in the park....

Bee_zpsna4ttlkj.jpg

Back
Top Bottom