Oculus Rift

Associate
I still dont understand what on earth has been subsidised when it is DOUBLE the price of a dk2

Instead of an off the shelf screen like in DK2, I gather this one is custom made, and that **** is expensive when you aren't ordering 10 million of them. Plus R&D costs etc etc and all the other bespoke hardware.

I would like to see how much it is subsidized from cost, as it certainly isn't cheap, but I can see how it could be expensive.

Associate
Instead of an off the shelf screen like in DK2, I gather this one is custom made, and that **** is expensive when you aren't ordering 10 million of them. Plus R&D costs etc etc and all the other bespoke hardware.

I would like to see how much it is subsidized from cost, as it certainly isn't cheap, but I can see how it could be expensive.

I appreciate that may be a valid point.. however the whole point of Oculus's partnership with Samsung was to have a partnership that would let them have cheaper screens in return for allowing Samsung to have their gear VR with oculus tech? so it still cant possibly explain it!

Also http://venturebeat.com/2015/01/12/o...-next-for-virtual-reality-interview/view-all/

This article was a year ago this month AFTER the unveiling of crescent bay which pretty much used all of the same hardware as this consumer version they are selling and they still talk about it being a 400$ price.

This is the main reason I am annoyed.. years of talking about this specific price point were just in the end lies. A stronger dollar, partnership with Samsung and buyout from facebook yet they think they can charge double a developers kit.. damn them!

Associate
This is the main reason I am annoyed.. years of talking about this specific price point were just in the end lies. A stronger dollar, partnership with Samsung and buyout from facebook yet they think they can charge double a developers kit.. damn them!

I agree, it is expensive and there may be more info in the AMA on reddit this evening. I've pre-ordered though, the DK2 opened a whole new world and I can't wait to use the new and improved version.

Caporegime
It will be interesting to see the reviews of the software/games people will get for this.

I wonder if this will still be popular in 12+ months, also wonder how many eBay scalpers are in it purely for the money.

Still free is free :D only need one lens anyways for my eyes.

Free? You spent money backing the Kickstarter so it's far from free.

Soldato
$350
+$35 shipping
+$77 tax

= $462

$350 was before tax for the DK2, not sure what point you're trying to make.

OCULUS VR, INC. 50.00U.S. DOLLA at 1.68976005 IRVINE £29.59
OCULUS VR, INC. 412.00U.S. DOLLA at 1.60379929 IRVINE £256.89

£286.48 total

That's my point. $600 = £410+20% = £492

Associate
I wish they'd put together a version without the headphones, X-Box controller and games. That must be at least £100 just there. Don't make people pay for stuff they don't need/want.

Permabanned
ive put a pre order through just for the sake of it not taking it until shipping date. However, I will most likely cancel. It is a bit of a ridiculous price to pay, and on top of that now i feel that devs and indies won't be on-board.... and arnt indies the ones that kept the game market alive for the thing.

Back
Top Bottom