** Star Wars Episode VII - SPOILERS WITHIN **

C64

C64

Soldato
I watched an interview today with JJ Abrams and it could be nearly 5 years before the next film because somebody linked him to this thread and he now realises he can't make a family film but has got to make one for geek adult males. He was gobsmacked the map was verbally torn apart so promised to make it more realistic.

You can make a kids movie without a direct copy paste, it being a kids movie is no excuse for a lazy unimaginative world and copy cat script.

Man of Honour
You can make a kids movie without a direct copy paste, it being a kids movie is no excuse for a lazy unimaginative world and copy cat script.

If you and Easyrider were able to help JJ Abrams out with the script would you do it?
I bet after the pair of you had thought of every possible angle you'd still get internet geeks picking holes in it BECAUSE THAT's WHAT YOU DO.

Soldato
Really can't be bothered to read this thread since the movie came out. The same old people just trolling or trying to be special **********....or both. Yes, you're entitled to your opinion. But lets face some facts here:

IMDB - 8.4/10 user rating
Rotten Tomatoes - 9/10 user rating
Rotten Tomatoes - 93% positive critics rating

It will hit the $2bn worldwide mark in the next couple of days, in no small part because so many people are seeing it more than once.

It's a ANH re-hash? So what? That was the idea. You think they made it like that because they didn't know what else to do? It was made like that to bring back the magic and the essence of what made ANH the phenomenon it was. And it absolutely, unquestionably, 100%, did that. The numbers don't lie. It has some issues? Don't care.

On a side note; got back from Disney World last week and to say SW has taken over would be an understatement! I'm a SW fanboy, but even I think it's kinda sad. Every other T-Shirt is SW related - you don't see anybody wearing other Disney stuff. Disney Hollywood has 2 stores purely dedicated to SW merchandise. Every cup, hat, badge....you name it....SW. Mickey and the gang are nowhere to be seen. And it's only going to get worse by the sound of it. On the plus side, Star Tours is incredible now. I went on twice and got to fly through the starship graveyard from TFA both times. Bloomin' incredible.

Caporegime
Really can't be bothered to read this thread since the movie came out. The same old people just trolling or trying to be special **********....or both. Yes, you're entitled to your opinion. But lets face some facts here:

IMDB - 8.4/10 user rating
Rotten Tomatoes - 9/10 user rating
Rotten Tomatoes - 93% positive critics rating

It will hit the $2bn worldwide mark in the next couple of days, in no small part because so many people are seeing it more than once.

'You're entitled to your opinion but, because you're in the minority, your opinion is wrong! These facts prove it! Oh and you're also trolls, because nobody could genuinely dislike this movie. It's great!'

'Look at the money it made!'

Well, if you say so. I did try to like it. Sadly I couldn't. And neither did the people I saw it with, one of whom is a massive SW fan (I'm not).

I really don't know how the prequels get 60-80% on RT, yet this one gets 90+. I didn't like the prequels, but at least they had some original ideas.

And frankly, for a copy of A New Hope, this isn't even as good as the source material.

I'm going to have to conclude that the people raving about it are those who haven't seen the OT, plus the SW super-fans like yourself who were always going to love it, almost no matter what.

I'll just assume that people like myself haven't bothered to rate it on RT or elsewhere.

Soldato
'You're entitled to your opinion but, because you're in the minority, your opinion is wrong! These facts prove it! Oh and you're also trolls, because nobody could genuinely dislike this movie. It's great!'

Well, if you say so. I did try to like it. Sadly I couldn't. And neither did the people I saw it with, one of whom is a massive SW fan (I'm not).

I really don't know how the prequels get 60-80% on RT, yet this one gets 90+. I didn't like the prequels, but at least they had some original ideas.

And frankly, for a copy of A New Hope, this isn't even as good as the source material.

I'm going to have to conclude that the people raving about it are those who haven't seen the OT, plus the SW super-fans like yourself who were always going to love it, almost no matter what.

I'll just assume that people like myself haven't bothered to rate it on RT or elsewhere.

Yup - simply a troll.

Caporegime

You've contradicting yourself that post, to make a convincing argument, at least be consistent.

First you say that the guy you saw it with, who is a massive Star Wars fan hated it.

Then you makes a conclusion that the people who loves it are the super-fans. So are you saying your friend who is a Massive Star Wars fan but has never seen the OT?

Do you know what I would do in your shoes?

Stop making assumptions and guess what people do or don't do, like guess only people who likes it voted on RT (the actual fact couldn't be further from the truth as it is normally the people who are unhappy makes the most noise in the form of complaint on the internet, the ones who are happy with a product or movie in this case, get on with their lives and don't moan about it or even comment about it). So in terms of RT...taking the numbers as face value would be my approach, not guessing what it could have or should have been.

I won't go into the bit about the Prequels having original ideas or TFA copied ANP, it's all answered in that video I posted above, watch that if you haven't before replying to this, I seriously encourage you to.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's all personal opinion (which everyone is welcome to) and I'd concede that a film can make a load of money, be critically well received and not be great (I'm no fan of titanic/avatar).

My Position on TFA is it is a good but not great film, it opens up an interesting prospect for the follow up, whilst the plot rehashes elements from ep4-6. Some say badly, I say reasonably well and more importantly it establishes some interesting and distinct new characters.

Time will tell on the imdb/critics ratings, 8/10 for me.

Caporegime
I'd also say that box office receipts for the next film might be more telling.

A lot of people saw TFA because it was the first Disney film, and they had no preconceived ideas about it. I personally knew nothing about it and had no idea if I'd like it or not.

If the next film does as well (or better), then we can say for sure Disney are giving people exactly what they want.

If box office receipts for the next one are down on this one, then it would show that not everyone enjoyed it enough to come back for a 2nd installment.

Soldato

A lot of people saw TFA because it was the first Disney film, and they had no preconceived ideas about it. I personally knew nothing about it and had no idea if I'd like it or not.

If the next film does as well (or better), then we can say for sure Disney are giving people exactly what they want.

If box office receipts for the next one are down on this one, then it would show that not everyone enjoyed it enough to come back for a 2nd installment.
Not sure about that. Empire was some way short of ANH in terms of box office, after all.

Caporegime

In one post you say box office takings for this movie is meaningless.

Then in this post you are saying the box office taking for the next film would be telling.

Right......talk about changing the goal posts to suit your argument, again.

And Empire had average reviews and one of the lowest takings of all the Star Wars movies!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Pretty much sums it up nicely. To be honest, if you dont like the film then fine, say so and move on, to keep banging on about it to the point everyone thinks you're a bit of a windowlicker in your hatred, you just come across as a bitter sod who just got dumped by the perfect girl and need to convince everyone she was really a fogbeast :D

Tea spit :D

Caporegime
Brilliant. He nailed it.

He had some great points, especially about the industry as a whole, but he really falls short in some areas of finding faults in Force Awakens and ignores some glaringly bad parts of the writing. He also thinks the script and acting is funnier than I think it was. Some of it was pure ham.

However I agree with him, it's a good movie, and it breathes new life into the franchise. It's just not spectacular or flawlessly executed.

Will we be saying the same things about this movie in 10 years as we did about Empire? Doubtful, though we will likely remember it with some fondness.

C64

C64

Soldato
Brilliant. He nailed it.

I stopped watching when he said he loved the movie, sorry but how can anyone love the movie when it's a poorly executed copy paste of episode 4 it makes no sense at all.
It makes perfect sense though when it's hip to say you liked it especially in america where you're deemed as insane for not liking everything Abrams does.

It's a terrible unimaginative lazy movie with too many "gamer dogfight" scenes looking like they were taken directly from star wars battlefront the game.

The whole bar scene sums it up it's like they crow barred in some weird looking aliens and did the pan shot "hey guys look it's just like that scene from rotj were super cool to be putting this in" it all feels so FORCED no pun intended.

Seems the common theme here is people who love cgi scenes with explosions love it.

oooh that dogfight scene is so super cool bro , gtfo.

I cannot grasp what there was to love about the movie ? bad acting bad lines bad story bad cgi am baffled and amazed at anyone remotely liking it.

Me and easyrider are directing episode 9 so don't worry star wars will be back to the unexpected exotic fantastical epicness.

Last edited:
Soldato
I stopped watching when he said he loved the movie, sorry but how can anyone love the movie when it's a poorly executed copy paste of episode 4 it makes no sense at all.
It makes perfect sense though when it's hip to say you liked it especially in america where you're deemed as insane for not liking everything Abrams does.

It's a terrible unimaginative lazy movie with too many "gamer dogfight" scenes looking like they were taken directly from star wars battlefront the game.

The whole bar scene sums it up it's like they crow barred in some weird looking aliens it all feels so FORCED no pun intended.

Seems the common theme here is people who love cgi scenes with explosions love it.

oooh that dogfight scene is so super cool bro , gtfo.

As opposed, I suppose, to being really cool and hating it.
I mean, the majority of the critics like it and the ratings it pulls from the majority of people show that it is a film already loved by many.
But of course someone has to come along and demonstrate how clever and "ultimately intellectual" they are by telling us all that we're wrong. That it's rubbish, crap, etc
"But it's <Insert pompous talk about how this, that and the other doesn't make sense. Insert more as I expertly dissect the movie and tell everyone why they are wrong. Insert even more as I tell you that all the ideas have been used before and that this is ultimately a failure. Insert more as I tell you all you're stupid for liking this film>

Back
Top Bottom