**Unofficial Tyre Thread**

Associate
[TW]Fox;29149255 said:

Wrong tyre. That's original advan sport reviews. The V105 has some mixed reviews that show it to be very capable in both dry but more predominantly wet weather.

I think Gibbo has them on his M3 and rates them favourably.

Not sure what the difference is between the V105 and the V105s though.

Soldato
Thinking of sticking some new front tyres on the 335i - 235/35/19 - and currently weighing up between the Uniroyal Rainsport 3 @ £87 and Goodyear Eagle F1 AS2 @ £106.

Normally I would just jump on the F1AS2 but I've been reading about possible noise issues/etc.

Thoughts/advice?

Soldato
The F1A2's are a cut above the Rainsport tyres. There is some anecdotal stories about strange noises etc, but I personally never experienced them when I had them, and neither has my mother, or my sister who all have a full set of these. The F1A3's are now available for £120 if you want to push the boat out!

Associate
Need some new tyres for an ecoboost 1.0 fiesta in 195/50/16. It currently has the original Conti ecocontact 2's on.

From what I've read so far it seems a toss up between the Michelin Energy Saver Plus and Dunlop Sport BluResponse.

Any thoughts as to whats best in this size? Must be premium tyre, no ditch finders.

Cheers

Soldato
Need some new tyres for an ecoboost 1.0 fiesta in 195/50/16. It currently has the original Conti ecocontact 2's on.

From what I've read so far it seems a toss up between the Michelin Energy Saver Plus and Dunlop Sport BluResponse.

Any thoughts as to whats best in this size? Must be premium tyre, no ditch finders.

Cheers

I would have said the Michelin crossclimate if they come in your size

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
My Z4 has come with Bridgestone Potenza RE050A1 RFTs on it, in relatively good condition (5mm+ all round).

While I've had these tyres before on other cars and actually quite liked them, I don't think they suit the car. What do people make of the MPSS RFT, or should I go non-runflat? If I were to ditch the runflats, how do we think the new CSC6s stack up to the MPSS on a car like the Z4?

Associate
Caporegime
What is the consensus on rotating tyres etc?

My Fiesta ST is having its two fronts replaced on Tuesday as they are gettingclose to 2mm in some areas. However, the rears are still on about 5-6mm of tread so im not sure whether to just swap the fronts or swap axles over and put the new ones on the back.

I suppose with 5-6mm on the rears still it isnt going to make too much difference but i just wondered what everyone here did normally.

Soldato
Does anyone else have cars with 2 different wheel sizes? My rears have about 5mm left and I know the smart thing to do is put the more worn out rears on the front and new ones on the back but my front wheels are a different size.

225/45 ZR18 (Front)
255/40 ZR18 (Rear)

Do I just change them as and when, or do I bite the bullet and ditch the rears at the same time as the fronts? Getting MPSS this time round so will potentially have a much better and newer tyre on the front than the standard Z4M Conti's on the back.

Soldato
Best thing would be to fit the same size wheel all round imo.
I wouldn't really recommend rotating tyres though, front and rear tyres rarely wear in the same way and you might find they are somewhat suboptimal on the other axle until they wear in to the new suspension geometry.

Soldato
Because Joe Public doesn't know how to drive and and understeering car is safer for them.

I don't know enough about setting up cars nor have the driving skills to pick out different size wheels that will make my car perform better than standard over BMW's M division who I assume picked the wheel sizes based on Joe Public, of which I am a member.

If someone I trust or a large concensus turns round and says "BMW picked this wheel for this reason, we have all changed are wheels to these exact ones because XYZ and here are all the reviews saying it makes the car better", I'll do it, but I don't have the ability to experiment myself.

Man of Honour
Because Joe Public doesn't know how to drive and and understeering car is safer for them.

Yes, thats right - BMW M pick a wheel setup to encourage understeer amongst their high performance drivers cars.

Internet knows best - get some Ebay coilovers on it and same size wheels all round.

Soldato
Do I just change them as and when, or do I bite the bullet and ditch the rears at the same time as the fronts? Getting MPSS this time round so will potentially have a much better and newer tyre on the front than the standard Z4M Conti's on the back.

As and when, then drive with a bit of awareness that the car will potentially be differently balanced to what you are used to. I very much doubt most people with non matching wheel sizes are binning perfectly good tyres routinely and nor are they landing in the nearest hedge.

I doubt you would even notice unless you drive it hard regularly or encounter very adverse conditions that upset the car.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;29195004 said:
Yes, thats right - BMW M pick a wheel setup to encourage understeer amongst their high performance drivers cars.

Internet knows best - get some Ebay coilovers on it and same size wheels all round.

To be fair, even the likes of Porsche and Ferrari dial down the performance vs ease of driving in all but the hardcore versions of their vehicles, the 911's are set up differently to the GT3 for instance. I think the some people go for the CSL set up on the Z4M which I do not understand because the M3 is a different car/wheelbase so it's not like for like, however I've been assured it's legit.

Back
Top Bottom