Looking for a new SSD, whats the current "go to" make/model?

Associate
So back when I got my Crucial M4 it was "The drive", seemed it was the best price/performance and reliability.

Is there an equivalent drive currently?

From what I have seen the most popular drives are the Samsung Evo 850 and the Crucial MX/BX drives.

Any opinions on what the "best" 250gb SSD for about £70 is?

Soldato
i would get the samsung 850 evo, they are quite good SSD's and not had a issue with them since i have had mine.

fits your budget as well, £65.99 from OCUK

Soldato
In regards to reliability, never trust on any one drive. You can say that about any drive in any price bracket from any manufacturer. If your files are important, make sure you have multiple backups.

Associate
OP
In regards to reliability, never trust on any one drive. You can say that about any drive in any price bracket from any manufacturer. If your files are important, make sure you have multiple backups.

Oh yes of course but when I got my M4 (2011?) the competition had a lot of reliability issues and the M4 was the only disk that didn't have any of those early on problems.

I would guess these issues have been ironed out by now...or at least i would hope.

Soldato
I usually buy Crucials for my self, but I have to say the Samsung 850 Evo I bought for a friend was very good. Felt faster than the Crucials I've got.

The reason why I bought a Samsung for my friend was for the use of the Magician software, which allowed us to clone the drive with ease before replacing the hdd.

Caporegime
I just pick up the cheapest I can in the sales. Just got a BX 240GB for £45.

Will wait till I can get another at that price.

Don
Oh yes of course but when I got my M4 (2011?) the competition had a lot of reliability issues and the M4 was the only disk that didn't have any of those early on problems.

I would guess these issues have been ironed out by now...or at least i would hope.

They've all come a long way since then.

Samsung 850 Evo gets my vote. Install 'Samsung Magician' alongside it, for firmware updates / monitoring.

Associate
Personally I have always bough Samsung but I see quite a few people buy the cheaper BX200 SSD. I wonder why when I read reviews like...............

PCWorld
"Though it's extremely affordable, the BX200 suffers the worst sustained write performance of any SSD we've ever tested. That said, day to day performance is quite good. But unless the price drops..."

Toms Hardware
"We didn't tackle this conclusion until all of our tests with Momentum Cache finished. It turns out that the DRAM cache doesn’t improve real-world performance enough for the BX200 to catch its low-cost SSD competition. Even with the cache enabled, performance only goes up to match some of the slowest drives available. Because of that, this goes down as one of the most disappointing SSDs introduced since 2008, when early JMicron DRAM-less controllers suffered the stutter fiasco. I really just can’t understand how Crucial tested this drive in-house and decided to release the BX200 in its current form."

AnandTech
"But even being the cheapest SSD on the market wouldn't be sufficient to earn a recommendation; almost anything else would be worth paying extra for. We have a saying around here that "there's no such thing as a bad product, only a bad price" and even for the BX200 this is true. But at MSRP, the BX200 won't be putting much price pressure on the rest of the market, and there are other drives with similar prices and better performance. The best thing for consumers right now would be for the BX200 to further push down costs, at which point it can survive as a true low-budget SSD."

To quote just a few.

Soldato
I'm actually running an 850 evo 250gb and a crucial m4 120 on this machine. I bought the evo as I needed more space as I wasn't really seeing any slow loading or the likes with with the m4 but I was suprised to see a noticeable speed up with the evo.

The 850 evo does seem to be the way to go these days but I've kept the m4 as a scratch/page file drive to go with it and it works quite nicely for me :)

I would have gone crucial again but the latest crucial drives do seem to have a few performance issues compared with the older m4.

I've read too many issues with OCZ and value my data more than a few quid.

C64

C64

Soldato
Crucial and samsung here had the crucial must be 4-5 years now still at 93% health been used as main windows drive since day 1 and have a samsung evo 840 pro cant fault either.Buying now get samsung imo for issues outlined above.I am still only sata 2 though so am limited to 280 ish mb sec.

Associate
OP
In the end I went with the 850 evo and its working out just fine, obviously due to having SATA2 im not noticing any big speed differences but it was for the extra space.

M4 is now for some game installs. Really like the Magician software and the drive itself is rather slick looking.

Sitting at 32c on normal use......its the hottest component of my system which seems weird.

Associate
That's about right without any airflow over it. Operating temperature range is 0-70 °C so nothing to worry about in any case.

Associate
OP
Not too bad. Do you have good airflow?

No i have 3 drive bays with HDD's in the path of airflow, my SSD's are shoved into a 5.25" bay with no airflow what so ever.

My system as a whole runs very cool, X5660 @ 20c and my 780 @ 25c

So its just sitting in a cool case, i could swap it for a HDD but i think a mechanical disk would benefit from cooling more than an SSD. I could probably drop the temperature by just attaching it to the case somehow instead of letting it dangle.

Back
Top Bottom