Brexit thread - what happens next

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Just because the markets reaction was predicted it doesn't make it any better.

We also haven't even got the longer term impacts. What will GDP in 2016 and 2017 look like.

Remember the leave campaign vehemently denied all the predictions saying economists and experts didn't know anything, whilst peddling the very optimistic predictions of the half a dozen economists they managed to get to support their cause.

Caporegime
There won't be electricity in 6-7 years to do that if gloomers are to be believed.

There will be, just not in the UK. We'll have resorted to hitting each other with rocks and pointy sticks by then whilst the EU will be a shining beacon of peace, prosperity and harmony.

Well, once all of France stops striking that is.

Caporegime
We also haven't even got the longer term impacts. What will GDP in 2016 and 2017 look like.

Remember the leave campaign vehemently denied all the predictions saying economists and experts didn't know anything, whilst peddling the very optimistic predictions of the half a dozen economists they managed to get to support their cause.

no I think the idea that we're likely to take a hit in the short term was pretty much accepted

Caporegime
so you know more than the credit experts?

UK credit rating down. Cost of UK debt up. 0.5% on £470 bn debt = £22 Bn. The £350 million pound farage promised you each week is gone.

I know right, layman thinks it's all going to be fine.

Ask any experts, like i mentioned last week before the vote, a friend of mine who has 2 PHDs in economics says our economy can't take this shock, not so soon after 2008. I forgot which poster I was talking to says he is educated too (but in Physics) and somehow his opinion is just as valid.

I know it's all a guess, as its the future but one IS an expert; the other one, well, NOT an expert.

Last edited:
Associate
If Labour can oust Corbyn and replace him with an electable leader and there is a snap general election before the invoking of article 50. I can see Labour, Lib dems and the SNP campaigning on not enacting the article and returning to the status quo.

I can't see the SNP losing seats since they are already proclaiming to stay in EU at all costs.The Lib dems and labour would effectively hoover up most of the populace that feels we should remain and this current situation we are in now is not one they would like to continue with.

Leaving the Tories and UKIP to share the Brexit vote.

I am confident a lot of northerners will vote labour simply because it is the norm in every general election. I also feel the vote to leave in some part was a protest vote against the Tories and Cameron. The NHS, loss of Cameron and budget cutting is likely to hurt Tory swing voters too.

Perhaps a risky strategy for the Labour party but a good shot at either gaining power or setting up the framework for the future General election if things don't go swimmingly for the Brexit movement and Tory government several years down the road.

A new party voted in on a manifesto to NOT invoke article 50 could take precedence over the referendum without making the populace feel that their referendum result was entirely ignored.

Man of Honour
It is not what is happening out of your window NOW but what may be happening in two years time.
WTO regs mean all UK goods have added tariffs making them more difficult to sell.
Norway style means we pay the EU, have to allow free movement etc but have no say.
Chinese Foreign Secretary said it will take ten years for a trade deal.
That is ten years of uncertainty which markets hate and which will impact on our credit rating making it more expensive to borrow which means more expensive to service. Less money for other things.

Do you think I should be stressed out like you lot by what may be happening in two years time, or in ten years time for that matter?

Like me, none of you know the future. Don't get so het up about it. Live your lives in the present, or you'll find the future quickly becomes your present, and I bet outside your own home it won't be anywhere near as gloomy as you imagined it.

You'll have lost your hair, be divorced because your wife got sick of being ignored whilst you had your eyes glued to the BBC news birds, and you'll only be able to get it up for political debate. :D

Soldato
How many MPs are pro leave and how many pro stay? That would suggest which way parliament would vote.

this gives the Tory MP breakdown

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/0...xit-who-doesnt-and-who-is-still-on-the-fence/

full picture

_90060774_mps_declare_eu_stance_22_06_16_624gr.png

Source

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-35616946

So they need to take that again now post vote to see where the house is.

Soldato
*blah blah blah* sauce: express.co.uk
*bla bla blaaa blaa, we have control* sauce: express.co.uk

Laughing stock. Prediction of GDP growth has already been slashed from 2.3% to 0.2%
If the financial sector of London cannot find a way to have their contacts to the EU, the biggest thing Britain has will go, along with the jobs and money. Londons housing property bubble among other economic topics will deflate faster than you can say "**** the EU".

Man of Honour
Remain or leave aside, I find it incredibly sad that peoples opinion of this country is so poor that they really can't see any positives of us going it alone. I can understand peoples concerns about the markets right now, but they would always react this way to a decision like this, they will recover and level out. All these people saying they are ashamed to be British, so sad that people feel that way.

Yes we were just fine in the EU, and yes you may have not been affected by the issues that some of us are concerned with the EU right now, but how long would that last? If we would have voted to stay, then you wouldn't have seen another referendum, not in this lifetime so if things did get bad, then we'd be stuck. And yes, they may have never got that bad, but it was a risk I was willing to take

It sounds so cliche to say it, but I genuinely voted with my sons generation and his children's generation in mind as I think that is really where leaving the EU will be reaping the rewards. I'm a contractor who has just exchanged on a house, so I could have looked at the immediate future and next 5 years or so and voted remain, and if I was being that selfish then I most certainly would have. But I just wish people could look past what is happening right now with the markets and the pound and think about the future. We really do have a golden opportunity to do something great with trade deals and I hate to say it, but be in control of our own destiny.

I know to some that makes me terribly naive and ill informed, but I assure you I spent so much time researching this, and can confidently say I was aware of the risks and the positives. I didn't go in to this with some idealistic views of a Great Britain making it rain money left right and centre and unrealistic ambitions of a £350 million better off NHS. I'm not racist, and I am most certainly not an idiot or uneducated.

Last edited:
Soldato
Do you think I should be stressed out like you lot by what may be happening in two years time, or in ten years time for that matter?

Like me, none of you know the future. Don't get so het up about it. Live your lives in the present, or you'll find the future quickly becomes your present, and I bet outside your own home it won't be anywhere near as gloomy as you imagined it.

You'll have lost your hair, be divorced because your wife got sick of being ignored whilst you had your eyes glued to the BBC news birds, and you'll only be able to get it up for political debate. :D

Here again we have the complete dismissal of predictions under the guise of we can't predict anything.

So much for even the most ardent brexit voters knowing there will be a hit to the economy.

People should very much care about what is happening in 2 and 10 years time. After all, what else was the vote about other than the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom