LG 38UC99 - 37.5'' 24:10 3840x1600 75Hz IPS FreeSync Strobing Backlight

FTL

FTL

Associate
I guess we can also ask Daniel why did LG make a modern IPS panel with such slow pixels?

I was quite looking forward to this monitor.

Maybe it's possible that LG is using a subpar overdrive and scaler implementation (even the Freesync range is pretty shoddy) are resulting in the poor pixel response / performance? It'll be interesting to see if other monitors using this panel can do better, especially if we ever see the panel paired with G-Sync. Just thinking out loud here ;)

Man of Honour
the pixel response times arent THAT slow, 10.6ms G2G average is on par with the Dell U3415W for instance. they just arent as fast as some top end 60Hz IPS panels can reach. but people shouldn't get too worried about them i dont personally think.

Associate
OP
37.5" 3840x1600 is a pretty cool display resolution/size.

I think it's just a culmination of:

1. Slower pixels.
2. Weaker contrast.
3. Class 2 input lag.
4. 75 Hz strobe flicker in motion clarity mode.
5. Higher end price.
6. 60 Hz NVIDIA fixed refresh mode maximum.

All add up together.

Man of Honour
37.5" 3840x1600 is a pretty cool display resolution/size.

I think it's just a culmination of:

1. Slower pixels.
2. Weaker contrast.
3. Class 2 input lag.
4. 75 Hz strobe flicker in motion clarity mode.
5. Higher end price.
6. 60 Hz NVIDIA fixed refresh mode maximum.

All add up together.

oh yeah, don't get me wrong, its not perfect but i suppose one point i would make is that although it has a fair few gaming features, it's not specifically a gaming screen. The pixel response time is still adequate and at least there is the option of a strobe backlight mode for those who want it. double strobing was not really a viable option and wouldnt have worked at all, and the flicker you're likely to see at 75Hz would apply to any screen at that refresh rate. it's certainly a better screen for AMD users i agree, with the boosted refresh rate and FreeSync support, which is again it's target market really

Soldato
gears of war 4 looks pretty good at 3840x1600 I think

20161011_141112_zpsfnzzw59w.jpg

Soldato
Is that yours? How do you like it?

Only had it a couple of days so still getting used to it, doesn't look that much bigger than the 34" but much sharper image due to the higher res, out of the box the colours are spot on and only had to lower the brightness.

Played a bit of cs go and got OK but had to increase the speed of the mouse.

So far so good and if I had to discribe it I would say it's a happy medium between 4k and 21.9

Associate
OP
Only had it a couple of days so still getting used to it, doesn't look that much bigger than the 34" but much sharper image due to the higher res, out of the box the colours are spot on and only had to lower the brightness.

Played a bit of cs go and got OK but had to increase the speed of the mouse.

So far so good and if I had to discribe it I would say it's a happy medium between 4k and 21.9

3440x1440 @ 34" is 110 PPI and 3840x1600 @ 37.5" is 111 PPI so they should look virtually identical as far as clarity. Unless you sit slightly further back from the 37.5" due to it's larger size, that will make it appear more clear.

Have you tried the strobing backlight mode? Does the 75 Hz flicker bother you?

Soldato
3440x1440 @ 34" is 110 PPI and 3840x1600 @ 37.5" is 111 PPI so they should look virtually identical as far as clarity. Unless you sit slightly further back from the 37.5" due to it's larger size, that will make it appear more clear.

Have you tried the strobing backlight mode? Does the 75 Hz flicker bother you?

ive not tried the strobing backlight as i have a amd gpu so ive just turned freesync on in the monitor settings and made sure its running 75hz, i have not worried too much about freesync yet as when i bought the monitor my thoughts were already aimed at the release of vega, but the fury is not doing too badly as long as i dont go mad with aa,the only game i have had to knock some settings down were rise of the tomb raider

Back
Top Bottom