Road Cycling

Soldato
Probably not as I only made the segment yesterday :p
So you're to blame! :rolleyes:

Can confirm the ALDI socks are magically warm, worth every penny of the price - I've double dipped on them now - went back lunch time to buy some more.
Unsure of the socks, but I've always used PlanetX Thicky Merino socks & find them superb. Dug them out last week for the 3rd autumn/winter/spring. The Black World Champ ones are that nice I wear them for work too...! 3 pairs for £10.

As for winter/sub zero gloves, really can't fault my Galibier Barrier II for £22. They're out of stock currently but the website says the Barrier III is on it's way! :)

During the really cold I put a liner on underneith, coped with ice forming on the outside in -10 degree temps, thinker liner might be better if you suffer from cold hands. My Thumbs did get numb twice from windchill but out of the wind soon warmed up. I had ice forming on my clothing/glasses/helmet at the time so pretty extreme conditions (that you'd only want to ride in if commuting!).

EDIT: lol Jono. *violins*
You already got sympathy from me on Strava ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Can confirm the ALDI socks are magically warm, worth every penny of the price - I've double dipped on them now - went back lunch time to buy some more.

I disagree but then they were sodding wet after getting absolutely drenched within 45 mins of starting my ride the other day :p

Commissario
Pedals at 3 & 9, not 12 & 6!? I'm all out of ideas after that! ;)
Nah, I think 3 and 9 is the way to go. Actually, I'm not quite a 3 and 9, more sort of following the line of the strut that goes from the centre of the pedals to the rear wheel (I don't know what it's called).
Saddle bag.
I'm in the big ring but not quite in the smallest cog.

Soldato
Lots of good riding around the coasts there, hire a bike! :D ;)

Only free in the evenings so that wouldn't work unfortunately. Swimming, in hindsight, was a bit daft. I'm currently having some investigations done on my shoulder which is pointing towards tendon damage and after just 20 minutes of moderate breast stroke it feels absolutely trashed. Big installation job tomorrow too... oops :p

Soldato
Nah, I think 3 and 9 is the way to go. Actually, I'm not quite a 3 and 9, more sort of following the line of the strut that goes from the centre of the pedals to the rear wheel (I don't know what it's called).
Chainstay.

And the ones that go from the rear wheel dropouts to the seat... seatstay :)

Associate
Did the Fred Whitton route on Sunday with a few mates. Absolutely stunning scenery, never seen anything like it. Hardknott probably the hardest climb I've ever done in terms of technical difficulty, if it was wet I could see it being doubly hard to near impossible.

If you can get up there and do the sportive or just the route like we did, I simply cannot recommend it enough! We just did total steady away all day, chatting pace all the way around.

https://www.strava.com/activities/732308635

Soldato
Some mini white van man pulled out on me on a big roundabout. I shout "Oi!" he decides to brake check me... fortunately I wasn't quite in his lane. What an idiot...

Man of Honour
Did the Fred Whitton route on Sunday with a few mates. Absolutely stunning scenery, never seen anything like it. Hardknott probably the hardest climb I've ever done in terms of technical difficulty, if it was wet I could see it being doubly hard to near impossible.

If you can get up there and do the sportive or just the route like we did, I simply cannot recommend it enough! We just did total steady away all day, chatting pace all the way around.

https://www.strava.com/activities/732308635

Oooh nice, Do you ride with the Cappuccino people?

Soldato
Just ordered some Gore lumi gloves and some overshoes as well. Hopefully keep me a little warmer.

I'm tempted to flog my 2 sets of road shoes and buy a set of the MAAP ones. They look belting and the mavics are just too narrow for my feet I'm finding.

Soldato
Hi all. One of the downfalls of having a dropbar roadbike is the use of a bell.

Yes many of us with dropbar road bikes commute to work and was wondering if there is a bell thats designed for drop bars in mind that are next to the breaks on a dropbar?

I could not find any that are designed for this use and find it terrible to use the traditional bells that sit on a flat bar making it dangerous to use on a dropbar.

Any suggestions?

Soldato
For the user looking for some fancy bibs with a wide pad, article on Road.CC suggesting Endura (not overly premium...) are releasing some winter bibs with pad width options.

Soldato

Yes many of us with dropbar road bikes commute to work and was wondering if there is a bell thats designed for drop bars in mind that are next to the breaks on a dropbar?

I could not find any that are designed for this use and find it terrible to use the traditional bells that sit on a flat bar making it dangerous to use on a dropbar.

Any suggestions?

http://www.instructables.com/id/AirZound-for-Drop-Bar-Road-Bike/

Rock on son.

Soldato

Any suggestions?

Use your voice :)

Back
Top Bottom