Road Cycling

Associate
All,

I'm currently training for a half ironman and have been training mostly in the mornings before work (getting up at 4:30 to cycle for around 2 hours (on days when I am not running or swimming). I've decided cycling in the mornings doesn't give me enough time to get some quality training in so I am looking to move it to the evenings. However, I live in a fairly built up area with lots of traffic and with the nights being dark and cold now I am planning to do my week day dike training on a turbo trainer with my weekends out and about in the mornings when I don't need to rush.

What are the best methods for training on a trainer? I am planning just straight tempo training and leaving hills training for the weekends. Any advice for someone changing to this method?

Last edited:
Soldato
Popped out for a short jaunt to clear my legs/head as not been well since Sunday evening, coming back from my exhausting 5 mile route, had a learner pull out on me, shouted at the instructor, asking him what the !#?% he was teaching him, to which I got a mouthful saying I should slow down. No wonder driving standards are getting worse. I should really have gone back and got his reg number.

Had fun with my new cassette too, couldn't get the bloody thing to fit on, with not enough spacers, thought I'd dropped one, then realised the inside sprocket was concave, so fits the other way around to get the gap! Doh! Currently gluing!

Soldato
What are the best methods for training on a trainer? I am planning just straight tempo training and leaving hills training for the weekends. Any advice for someone changing to this method?

Get TrainerRoad and choose a sustained power/endurance training programme with whatever volume you can fit in.

This, if you want structured, focused training. They have Tri specific plans too. All of their plans have differing volumes (low, med, high) to suit your availability as well base, build and specificity phases.

Structure (time in HR/PR zones) is much simpler & safer to achieve on a turbo than it is the road. So if you really want to crush your event go for it on the turbo.

It'd make more sense to work on sustained/short power and endurance with turbo sessions and your weekend rides can be the 'tempo' work. You can refine your climbing technique out on the road when there's less rush at weekends :) Should get you zipping along quite quickly :cool:

In other news, lifting again on the regular at a different gym. LOLworthy in comparison to my sole lifting days but should be productive towards my winter goals of maintaining fitness and building power and strength endurance.

Haven't ridden with DOMS for a while so tonight's turbo will be interesting. Have always found my fastest and most powerful rides to have occured with DOMS, possibly because RPE goes out the window and everything just hurts regardless :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom