LG 38UC99 - 37.5'' 24:10 3840x1600 75Hz IPS FreeSync Strobing Backlight

Caporegime
Yup if it didn't sell well at £600 then there is no chance that will sell for £750 :p

With the LG OLED 4k HDR 55" TVs getting cheaper and cheaper every quarter or so i.e. now sitting at £2k (imo, it won't be long till we see it hit £1500 especially with newer gen panels etc. right around the corner), a lot of these monitors need to start dropping in price now, not going up.

Soldato
Yup if it didn't sell well at £600 then there is no chance that will sell for £750 :p

With the LG OLED 4k HDR 55" TVs getting cheaper and cheaper every quarter or so i.e. now sitting at £2k (imo, it won't be long till we see it hit £1500 especially with newer gen panels etc. right around the corner), a lot of these monitors need to start dropping in price now, not going up.

Yup!

I'm waiting till 65'' OLED 4k HDR TV is under 2k and I'll probably bite.

Ultra wide is amazing in theory, definitely love the less cramped feeling but the price is ridiculous for some of the monitors, especially with the £ weakening.

Soldato
A few (too few!) sessions over the weekend and I am more and more happy with this screen. It has an amazing image and size is fantastic for work and gaming.

A few annoyances:

The external power BRICK... WTF were LG thinking? It is ENORMOUS and the wire from the screen to the brick is so short it HAS to sit on the table, which completely ruins any effort to have a nice design. The screen itself has a super nice design, but then you have this short wire to a GIGANTIC power brick that has to sit on the table. And this short wire can't be changed - only the mickey mouse cable to the power plug. Giant design fail by LG. If I at least could have a long wire so I could tug the brick away under the desk somewhere but no can do (and I even have a tiny desk).

No2 design fail is the stand-by blinking light. Yeah LG decided that when you switch off your computer the screen will have the white light in the button under the screen blink like insane. Maybe it's trying to teach us to switch off the screen entirely because stand-by is bad for the environment, but seriously this light is insane. Ok it can be fixed by switching the screen off, but just another design mistake. You don't want to have this screen go stand-by if you intend to stay in the same room.

Minor things, but since LG is reading this forum I want to let them know. :)

Headline still is that I LOVE the screen. :)

looks to be the same input socket LG use on all their other ultra wides. There must be an extention cable available. if its the same as the 34um95 then its a 6.5mm x 4.4mm socket With Center Pin. Should give you somewhere to start at least.

Last edited:
Associate
Still super happy with mine. :)

I have tried a few time expanding the freesync range but end up resetting every time. I have tried 32, 40, 45, but I somehow feel like it is sort of "blinking" in those low hz and it's not comfortable for the eyes. Maybe it is just psychosomatic and my head telling me to look for trouble, and others wouldn't be bothered.

Anyway I just run it out of the box and it is amazing for both work and games. Eagerly anticipating VEGA from AMD so I can run all games maxed at 75hz (and you better deliver this time AMD!). :)

One other strange thing is 2560x1600 is not listed as a possible resolution, so can't be picked in games that don't support ultrawide. I added the resolution manually with CRU (@75hz) and it works without issues - strange why it is left out of the default profile. This is what you want to pick, together with "original" aspect ratio in the screen menu. Then the game will show a normal 2560x1600 in the middle of the screen with black bars just like if you had a 30" 2560x1600 monitor. No stretching or weird behaviour. LG should add this resolution to the firmware when updating. As it is out of the box only 1920x1200 is available.

Associate
The following resolutions are available out of the box and can be picked in windows and in games:

3840x1600
3440x1440
2048x1536
1920x1200
1920x1080
1680x1050
1600x1200
1400x1050
1366x768

2560x1600 is strangely missing even though it would be the natural pick when playing non-ultrawide games.

Associate
Of course, customer always comes first - now we have driven home QC issues and seemingly got the IPS bleed sorted its a new era for LG

I have seen what we have coming next year and there are some interesting models - albeit OLED still has screen burn issues so I am not confident of seeing any in 2017

Back
Top Bottom