• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Associate
I am not biased towards either!

But we just tested a 1700, it hit 4.0GHz stable in everything, but ONLY in the Crosshair mainboard, the lower-end boards it was hovering around 3.80GHz as the VRM's were cooking with extra voltage. It however was maxing around 4050MHz, so I'd say 1700 can do 3.9-4.1GHz, of course the 1800X will probably do 4.1-4.3 as no doubt better binned, but if your clocking the motherboard has a big impact on the overclock and so far Asus Crosshair and Asrock Taichi seem the best two.

I say it how it is, Intel is still selling and always will, we have no exposure on Intel. :)

thanks gibbo, sort of put my mind at rest with the mobo i ordered :) clocks well and i can have flashing rgb parties in my case :)

Associate
Gibbo, have you tested the MSI Carbon board yet? Can you share how that has done?

I think that will be a popular board given the spec versus cost.

Also:

The additional info here about the testing and the settings the 6900k was using, 4GHZ boost for example, is interesting.
Also interested in this

Soldato
I am not biased towards either!

But we just tested a 1700, it hit 4.0GHz stable in everything, but ONLY in the Crosshair mainboard, the lower-end boards it was hovering around 3.80GHz as the VRM's were cooking with extra voltage. It however was maxing around 4050MHz, so I'd say 1700 can do 3.9-4.1GHz, of course the 1800X will probably do 4.1-4.3 as no doubt better binned, but if your clocking the motherboard has a big impact on the overclock and so far Asus Crosshair and Asrock Taichi seem the best two.

I say it how it is, Intel is still selling and always will, we have no exposure on Intel. :)

Couple of questions @Gibbo

What Cooler was you using to hit 4ghz on the 1700? are you confident that most 1700 should hit around this level?

The Asrock Taichi board states max 2666mhz Mem, what are your experiences with this board and higher rated mem? Am i good to run 3200mhz or 3000mhz Ram on this? or is my limit really just going to be 2666mhz?

I love the look of the Taichi but want to make sure i can get decent ram on it, as i will end up keeping it for the next 4 or so years i imagine.

What are your thoughts on the 1800X when compared to the 1700 and 1700X, do you personally feel the 1800X is just binned by AMD and setup to take the stress from users who want a decently OC'd 1700 but without the hassle of doing it manually themselves? what are you basing 4.1 - 4.3 on? Watercooling? or just decent high end Air / AIO?

Associate
Hmm sounds like the manufacturers Havn't got overclocking down like with intel cpu's yet if some boards are clocking significantly higher than others, sceptical of the x370 prime now.

Man of Honour
Which means diddly squat when the Ryzen 6C/12T CPUs are being targeted against 4C Intel CPUs.

This is from the Digital Foundry review of the Core i7 7700K:

http://i.imgur.com/FW0KpFV.png

FW0KpFV.png

I know some are trying their best to sell the Core i5 7600K,but in the end even Eurogamer results are showing an overclocked Core i7 3770K holding its own against a higher clockspeed Core i7 7600K,it shows how many are getting obsessed with MOAR MHZ marketing.

6C/12T against an overpriced 4C/4T quad core.

Its going to get even worse with Ryzen 4C/8T CPUs.

I love how everybody ON PURPOSE ignores the Core i5 7400,Core i5 7500 and Core i5 7600 which are all locked and don't boost that high. They seem to just hope nobody notices the leaked pricing showing 4C/8T and 4C Ryzen is against locked 4C and 2C/4T Intel CPUs.

Ryzen 4C/8T against those is going to be very interesting as is Ryzen 4C CPUs against Core i3 CPUs. The MORE MHZ won't save most of the sub £300 Intel range unless AMD gets less than Haswell level IPC in games.

Intel will need to drop pricing.

All this excuse making for the current Intel pricing tiers is only going to mean Intel won't drop prices.

Some of those numbers for ROTTR are a bit rubbish.

Here is my 6950X @4.444 and a single OC Pascal Titan using exactly the same settings.

kNSQhl9.jpg

Associate
but if your clocking the motherboard has a big impact on the overclock and so far Asus Crosshair and Asrock Taichi seem the best two.

I was looking at the Asrock Taichi, so the extra phases on the VRMs are allowing more stable overclocks along with the Crosshair? That helps narrow down the choices :D Seems like 4Ghz or just over will be what most of us will be running 24/7, still pretty darn good with 8 cores with decent IPC!

Soldato
How many modern games do you own that 512GB isn't enough? lol. I use a 480GB SATA-2 SSD for my downloads folder and old games because having them on the NVMe drive would just be a waste of space.

In the future all boards will have U.2 connector{s} anyway so the niche need for dual M.2 will evaporate.

When a game is 50GB to 100GB of space these days (such as GOW4) then I understand why people want M.2 for them. I would be looking at a smaller M.2 for dedicated programs/windows (512GB) and larger M.2 for games (2TB) on my next build. My issue with the Ryzen is PCIE lane count. Running SLI/X-fire would saturate the lanes for the CPU at 16x/8x and then you have 8 lanes from the chipset that the M.2's utilise straight away leaving none after.

Now a single GPU setup nets you another 8 lanes but even that isn't huge.

Waiting on the X300 chipset though for ITX myself and going with single GPU may mean possible for 3 M.2 slots then and an additional 2TB PCIE SSD.

OcUK Staff
Couple of questions @Gibbo

What Cooler was you using to hit 4ghz on the 1700? are you confident that most 1700 should hit around this level?

The Asrock Taichi board states max 2666mhz Mem, what are your experiences with this board and higher rated mem? Am i good to run 3200mhz or 3000mhz Ram on this? or is my limit really just going to be 2666mhz?

I love the look of the Taichi but want to make sure i can get decent ram on it, as i will end up keeping it for the next 4 or so years i imagine.

What are your thoughts on the 1800X when compared to the 1700 and 1700X, do you personally feel the 1800X is just binned by AMD and setup to take the stress from users who want a decently OC'd 1700 but without the hassle of doing it manually themselves? what are you basing 4.1 - 4.3 on? Watercooling? or just decent high end Air / AIO?

240mm AIO cooler, made by Asetek with two fans on it. This was a retail 1700, not engineering sample! A bad 1700 might only do 3.8-3.9 and a good one might do 4.0-4.1, but only in top-end boards like Crosshair and Taichi.

Memory wise we had best success with Crosshair which just about does 3000MHz, no other board has achieved over 2666 stable yet.

Though 8 Pack is yet to play, this is just our quick testing, 8 Pack shall start playing in coming weeks.

OcUK Staff
I was looking at the Asrock Taichi, so the extra phases on the VRMs are allowing more stable overclocks along with the Crosshair? That helps narrow down the choices :D Seems like 4Ghz or just over will be what most of us will be running 24/7, still pretty darn good with 8 cores with decent IPC!

Yes the more phases on VRM's the better, because the VRM's are the weak link on the lower-end boards when overclocking, end of the day you get what you pay for with motherboards when it comes to VRM and power phase.

Associate
So, if the 1800X is ~9% faster than the 6900k...

It's about ~0.8% better IPC than Broadwell, with the rest of the gains coming from higher clocks.

So, I'd expect Skylake/Kaby Lake to be ~5% faster IPC than Ryzen.

Kaby Lake, 7700k, will hit ~4.8GHz pretty reliably, 5GHz if you delid.

7700k is ~£50 cheaper than 1700X, and clocked 18.4% higher, so I'd expect ~24% better single thread performance than 1700X at stock, rising to 32% if overclocked to 4.8GHz. For less money.

Unless Ryzen really does overclock well, the 7700k is still a better buy for most people, only if you need 8 cores (and most people still don't) is Ryzen going to be worth it.

Associate
WHat you mean its not March yet? XD
yup thats what he means, but still release is 2 march, if some retailers are out of stock this fast, it would just mean that volume chips is more likely to come at the end of march rather than first week, so some ppl might get stuck for a week or 2 waiting or price gouging contest.

Back
Top Bottom