1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Discussion in 'CPUs' started by Boomstick777, Apr 10, 2015.

1. SiDeards73

Soldato

Hmm very interesting... if the 1700 are able to hit 4.0ghz on a 240mm Asetek AIO, no insult to that AIO but there are alot better on the market, then a decent AIO @ 280mm or proper WC Loop will prob eek a little more, wondering if the 1700X is the smarter buy, your getting a potentially better binned chip than the 1700 with a garaunteed clock, but obviously some defect which meant it didnt make it as an 1800X, decisions decisions..

2. SiDeards73

Soldato

Yeah? no....

Recent games beg to differ uk-thl-lsg-DrakeEnergyProject-001CostTracking-Read; uk-thl-lsg-DrakeEnergyProject-002Contracts-Read; uk-thl-lsg-DrakeEnergyProject-Modify

I know and understand what your saying but higher IPC on lower cores it seems does not mean you will always beat pure brute force of more cores.

3. Gibbo

Commissario

Kaby Lake is king of single thread performance, this was expected and is the case.

Ryzen is king of multi-thread performance and as now so many people play online with upto 64 player maps in games like BF4 etc. this is where Ryzen becomes better platform and of course the OS feels smoother too as OS can take advantage of cores.

Software and games are becoming more supportive of multi cores over outright MHz and as such Ryzen has great future!

4. SiDeards73

Soldato

There we go folks, pretty much summed it up exactly how it is and how it will end up being. I can almost garauntee Intel will now bring out more cores at a cheaper price point than their current offerings to compete, AMD have pretty much in one move pushed the whole CPU industry forward a huge amount.

5. nkata

Soldato

There is a lot of disposable in this forum :D

6. HeX

Capodecina

Was that on water or air?

7. amigafan2003

Capodecina

I need more cores - Ryzen will be my next upgrade. Waiting for reviews re oc'ing to decide whether its a 1700, 1700x or 1800x.

8. shankly1985

Capodecina

But 8pack says otherwise :D I guess he dont play much games and only Overclocks? His words that games are not using more than single core "Mind Blown"

9. theor14

Gangster

Asus prime x370 or msi pro carbon for best OC at that price point ?

10. Techen

Wise Guy

Why we comparing a 7700k to a ryzen 7?? So confused lol

11. Silent_Scone

Capodecina

Heh, you don't have time to overclock because you have kids? If you know the platform, half of it is walking away from the machine and let the system stress. Hardly an excuse.

12. Uriel

Sgarrista

Well for a little while, Ryzen is only a little bit cheaper. Same price ballpark just now.

13. Silent_Scone

Capodecina

Probably more to do with the firmware. It's the Crosshair for me, though

14. SiDeards73

Soldato

Its also very boring? all that time waiting for it to stress test when you could be using it for, you know, playing games? :)

I set that Gigabyte Auto OC profile in the Windows APP, Job done, to be honest though i would just prefer to buy a chip thats pre OC'd close to its maximum so i know im not missing out on much of its theoretical performance and just have it done, no stressing or messing about waiting for tests etc, plug it in, fire it up, enjoy :)

15. TaKeN

Capodecina

So the rumours about Ryzen being a poor clocker are true then?

Silent Scone deserves an apology from a few people I feel :p

16. humbug

Caporegime

KabyLake has the same IPC as SkyLake which has the same IPC as Broadwell, infact in some cases Broadwell does better than SkyLake clock for clock, like Cinebench, the reason is its quad channel IMC.

IMO you are right that the 7700K clocking to 4.8Ghz will be faster in single threaded vs a 4Ghz RyZen, but IMO nothing like 24%, more like 15% which is still significant, but in reality i don't think it makes a significant difference because this idea that most or even all games don't scale beyond 4 or even HT threads is utter nonsense, i can pull up a whole bunch of game slides to prove its an over exaggerated myth.

While on the subject of exaggeration, single core performance vs RyZen is already being used as the be all and end all of what matters in performance, reality is very different, Intel no longer have a 60% IPC advantage, if anything AMD now have a small IPC advantage so an AMD chip now having twice as many threads for the same money quiet often actually puts AMD significantly ahead of Intel, even in some games.

17. CAT-THE-FIFTH

Capodecina

Because Super Pi is very important you see. The obsession with MOAR MHZ is why Intel is now selling a £175 Core i3 7350K and the whole range under it is dual cores.

Even if the 4C/8T Ryzen is more like a Core i7 4770K for £200ish,I think for most people buying one of those and spending the £150 saved over the Core i7 7700K on a better graphics card makes more sense.

18. ubersonic

Capodecina

From what Gibbo said it looks like more a case of budget motherboards being poor at overclocking, which was also the case with AM3 (and Intel boards before they banned overclocking on cheap boards).

19. SiDeards73

Soldato

Kinda funny cos even if it was 25% if your getting 100fps in a game on Ryzen and 125fps on a clocked 7700k your not really going to notice it too much, if your using an adaptive sync monitor, your not going to notice it at all, only question is really minimums, and both of those chips will have you ok in that area.

20. five8five

Wise Guy

Somehow I don't think he'll get it. 8 pack said the same thing and look how he's being treated at the moment :rolleyes: