The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - As a PC gamer, am I missing something?

Caporegime
I would agree however the problem is purchasing a piece of hardware which has lets be honest, ZERO third party support to play a new first party release once every year or so if lucky.

The sales for third party games are simply not there on Nintendo nowadays.

Yes, it is a "chicken and egg" thing but it is the way it is and Nintendo do NOTHING to encourage that growth.

It is only down to sheer stubbornness that they do not.

The money is there, the only thing they have to lose is their pride.

The world has changed, I see no reason why they cannot go "Multi platform" with their releases.

One reason I can think is their games will be judged against a wider playing field and I do not think they want that.

well the reason keep it platform tied is to sell their consoles :p . no different than playstation or xbox do. i dont mind if they only stay on nintendo.they produce the quality games everytime so i think its fine. they are mostly original very polished titles. can this be said for most pc titles ? they are making it for one platform though so it is easier to polish or make it perform the best it can which helps.

Caporegime
Exactly, the amount Nintendo can eek out of their hardware for their first party games (Mario/Zelda) is impressive. Part of that is the hardware is usually mediocre admittedly - so they have to push it hard to put out something impressive.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
So far I am really enjoying, takes a while to get into it and get used to controls, but after it gets very good. Won't know if it is a 10 out of 10 until I complete it really, but I am having a lot of fun so far, I can say that :D

I've been playing it this past week, and I'd have to agree with the scores. Huge game, hard to summarise, but the short n' sweet -- the sense of wonder, discovery and freedom. I think this is what the original Zelda excelled at. Just the amount of polished, well thought out mechanics at play here means that everything interacts with one another so dynamically. There's just so many fun discoveries you can make which really make the game for me. And the game just drops you in the world and says "have at it", with little hand-holding, surprising for a Nintendo game.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I've been playing it this past week, and I'd have to agree with the scores. Huge game, hard to summarise, but the short n' sweet -- the sense of wonder, discovery and freedom. I think this is what the original Zelda excelled at. Just the amount of polished, well thought out mechanics at play here means that everything interacts with one another so dynamically. There's just so many fun discoveries you can make which really make the game for me. And the game just drops you in the world and says "have at it", with little hand-holding, surprising for a Nintendo game.
True. What I personally mean is I do bulk of my gaming on the PC and have done for many years. But a good game is a good game, and Zelda certainly is that! :D

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Had a blast playing it yesterday. Such a rewarding game. It has a way of making you feel good when you figure things out. Going to play some now in bed, then take it with me to the toilet after :D

Man of Honour
Nope, I am with you Gimpymoo. I watched a few videos of the gameplay and , purely speaking on gameplay terms, I cant see the fuss of it. Witcher 3 in my opinion blows it out of the water, I even felt that things like Just Cause, Rise of the Tomb Raider and some MMOs like Archeage, Elder Scrolls Online seemed far better (as a game). Sure it might be that its good in the sense of the platform it can be played on but best game ever? Nope, I just dont see that at all. I would put Witcher 3 absolutely leagues above it from what I've seen

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Nope, I am with you Gimpymoo. I watched a few videos of the gameplay and , purely speaking on gameplay terms, I cant see the fuss of it. Witcher 3 in my opinion blows it out of the water, I even felt that things like Just Cause, Rise of the Tomb Raider and some MMOs like Archeage, Elder Scrolls Online seemed far better (as a game). Sure it might be that its good in the sense of the platform it can be played on but best game ever? Nope, I just dont see that at all. I would put Witcher 3 absolutely leagues above it from what I've seen
Played Wither 3, leagues above, no chance. It is a different experience. But Zelda is managing to evoke emotions Witcher 3 never did. Both games have their strengths.

I think people just look at graphics and judge it, once you start to play and get into it, it just clicks. Took me a few hours actually, but once it did I started having a blast. IMO it is not a game you can just judge on watching a video for a few minutes. Need to play for a few hours at the very least :)

By the way, not trying to say it is something that would appeal to everybody, but as someone who is mainly as PC gamer who has completed all the games you mentioned above and enjoyed them for what they are, I can say Zelda is a very good game and people letting graphics get in the way are missing out.

Soldato
Hmmm... we have a Wii U, but I've always just left it to the kids.

The reactions to this game, though, do make me want to try it.

Now to think how plausible it is that I could claim the living room TV for long enough to actually play the game...

Soldato
A good game is a good game regardless the platform, but only real gamers seem to grasp that.

Well said, couldn't agree more. Nintendo has never gone after the eye candy crowd, we've other platforms for that. Zelda just seems like a nice calming open world with gameplay that immerses you and keeps you coming back for more. That's a sign of a game worth having on any platform.

I was about to buy a switch and zelda yesterday just because I wanted to experience it's gameplay joys on launch day, wasn't actually at all bothered about how it looked.

Soldato
Well, comparisons with Witcher 3 are at least warranted since it's the most overhyped game in recent years with a couple of serious problems;p I'm curious whether Breath of Wild will suffer from that as well.

Soldato
Zelda 3 is best Zelda!

Seriously, I've completed it about ten times. OOT is OK I but I never enjoyed it as much.

Loved SNES and MegaDrive games so I suppose these franchises have a special place in my heart.

Soldato
A good game is a good game regardless the platform, but only real gamers seem to grasp that.

Definitely this, I find it really tiresome the arguments people throw out "because it isn't as graphically beautiful as my £2k gaming rig" etc. (similar to the Xbox/PS brigade).

Nintendo have always produced great quality games on 'inferior' hardware (only N64 was in front of the competition at the time) and some of my favourites are Nintento but I won't bite for a switch I'll just leave it alone as at my time of life I can't justify getting one.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

Definitely this, I find it really tiresome the arguments people throw out "because it isn't as graphically beautiful as my £2k gaming rig" etc. (similar to the Xbox/PS brigade).

Nintendo have always produced great quality games on 'inferior' hardware (only N64 was in front of the competition at the time) and some of my favourites are Nintento but I won't bite for a switch I'll just leave it alone as at my time of life I can't justify getting one.

+1

I would like these posts if we had a like system :p

Back
Top Bottom