Shots fired outside parliament - Please refrain from speculative and antagonistic posts

Soldato
So if it's Islam the religion that's the problem then why isn't it a problem in Iceland??
Becuase it doesn't have the numbers to be a problem, like how we never heard a peep from Islam in the UK 30 years ago.
Maybe because Islam ISN'T the problem, radicalized extremists hell bent on revenge and retribution are the problem.
Yes, and Islam produces an innordinate amount of them.
Tarring all Muslims and Islam as the problem is a great recruitment tool for radicalization and is a sure way to make the situation worse.
Very few tar all Muslims, but I think it's fair to say that more & more people are starting to notice the baggage that follows Islam everywhere.

Soldato
Very few tar all Muslims, but I think it's fair to say that more & more people are starting to notice the baggage that follows Islam everywhere.

Same for most religions. It's just that Muslims generally seem much quicker to anger, take offence and absolutely cannot handle criticism (in my experience of knowing people from various religions).

Soldato
It's all the same. Disillusioned intellectually-lazy, losers with a sense of entitlement about what the global advertising industry tells them they deserve and what they feel is being unjustly denied them. These failings in the individual make the nearest simplistic xenophobic far-right rhetoric appealing as a neat "answer".

All these Daesh-wannabes and Nazi muppets share the same failings.

Isis is more prominent because it exists in a region where its pool of potential recruits have fewer alternatives and its recent history and excessive media coverage has normalised choosing that path, but its followers have their western equivalents in the US teen school shooters, Anders Brexit, Thomas Mair etc

Caporegime
Yes and the US tried to stay out of WW2 and was attacked anyway, as did anyone any where near Germany. You can wrap it up in all the P.C you like, but in the end it all comes down to who is the strongest.

But this guy was British, so what exactly was he taking revenge for?...

Pfft, the US didn't stay out of the War at all, they actively funded everyone and was in economic wars with Japan prior to Pearl Harbour, but this is OT, so whatever.

Caporegime
It's pretty simple. If you want to stop terrorism, stop bombing civilians and helping ISIS recruit. Otherwise, the cycle will continue forever.

But hey it's never that simple is it??

it really isn't that simple, ISIS isn't the only Islamist group and letting a minority of extremists dictate foreign policy would be remarkably cowardly. (Not that I support every Western intervention)

Caporegime
Becuase it doesn't have the numbers to be a problem, like how we never heard a peep from Islam in the UK 30 years ago.

Yes, and Islam produces an innordinate amount of them.

There were still a million muslims in the UK in 1991, why weren't there incidents then? Or are you arguing there is a critical mass, that after hitting it things just "happen"?

I'd argue it's a "trend" that is happening at the moment. The trend is helped by media attention and the current instability in the middle east. It happens in many religions, for example militant sikhism was a thing in the 80's, with numerous terrorist incidents and aircraft related bombings. In the 70's Cuban related terrorism a was a thing. This groundswell of movement will die down eventually, we just need deal with it until it does. Creating isolation between western muslims and the rest of society isn't helping however, and that is what some people are trying to do*.

*The trump administration are doing a particularly good job!

Soldato
I do not profess to know much at all about the Islamic faith, I couldn't tell you if it preaches peace or hatred, depending on who you listen to the Quran teaches both.

What I do know from personal experience is that at its core it doesn't encourage integration or tolerance. What has just happened will only cement with the backlash.

I get tired of seeing these 'London stick together!' or 'Paris we are praying for you ' or any other western city which had suffered an attack recently. How long will it be before the left acknowledge that there is a problem and however many candles you light or Facebook profile pictures you change it won't stop Islamic extremism blowing up and killing our people.

ISIS must be laughing their ***** off when they see the response.

'We are not afraid!'

Well you should be because your liberalism isn't going to stop this, and this will happen again.

Am I advocating a retribution based attack? Absolutely no because that will only escalate what is currently happening. I am just sick of being told that it's seemingly 'ok' that our people get blown up, stabbed or shot or whatever the hell next.

'Business as usual in London '. Give me a break.

I am sure ISIS are really thinking

'yeah, let's not attack London again because they don't care'

I don't know what the solution is, I don't have the experience, diplomacy or political know how to even start with it.

There is a problem though, and it needs to be OK to acknowledge that there is. When it smells like it, looks like it, sounds like it,tastes like it and feels like it....call it what it is.

Last edited:
Associate
The fact that London is a scruffy, dirty, vastly overpriced, vastly overrated ignorant City puts me off from visiting this place more than this terrorist attack .....

Soldato
so what are you proposing as a solution then? if liberalism and it's mantra of solidarity and refusing to be terrorised by these terror attacks isn't the answer then what is?

you say you dont advocate retribution, so what should we do instead?

I would just like you to refer to earlier in my post when I stated that I don't have a solution.

Soldato
That seems to be the problem (not aimed at you Rifte) the rhetoric of "we need to do something" is swiftly followed in general by "I have no ideas" or "trump it up".

Back
Top Bottom