Shots fired outside parliament - Please refrain from speculative and antagonistic posts

Caporegime
I look forward to reading a rejection from the mosque that stickers advertising his website were displayed within the mosque. If I don't read that in the next 24 to 48 hours then I'll know the mainstream media largely got it right.

Come on Hades we all know it couldn't have been him who placed those stickers, he was never seen in Luton nevermind anywhere close to the Mosque.

Soldato
Does it matter what sect he is?

He's saying one thing in public and saying the complete opposite in private. That should worry any rational person when this person is the head imam in the largest mosque in Scotland.

Also a bit of misinformation about Barelvi/Deobandi, seems they are more recent than you suggest:-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barelvi
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deobandi

Them wikipedia articles are full of rubbish - they are written by the sect followers (I can tell with the claim to be 'ahle-sunnah-wahl-jamma') lol.
Go do some research on Ahmed Raza Khan Barelvi - rather than just googling then come back to me. They are well known British Agents in both pakistan and india and had a huge influence on the break-up of pakistan from india.

Your the one who pointed it out as being a 'mainstream moderate' muslim group - my point is its not - it's just the indian/pakistani communities.

Besides any rational person will know that everyone is entitled to their own viewpoint on events and he hardly contradicts himself with his public statement from his private one.

Imam Maulana Habib Ur Rehman told the BBC: "The assassination of Salman Taseer is widely condemned.
"Whether I agree or disagree with the views he expressed, as an Imam and as a human being I express abhorrence at the manner in which he was executed.
"The execution was not in accordance with Islamic teachings and principles."

He's entitled to his own opinion - a political one, or does freedom of speech not apply to him?

Don
Your the one who pointed it out as being a 'mainstream moderate' muslim group
Err, no I didn't what I pointed out is that the leader of a mainstream mosque in Scotland has some dubious beliefs when it comes to the killing of "blasphemers".

Besides any rational person will know that everyone is entitled to their own viewpoint on events and he hardly contradicts himself with his public statement from his private one.
Other than praising the murderer privately?

He's entitled to his own opinion - a political one, or does freedom of speech not apply to him?
Well of course he's entitled to his freedom of speech, unless it's of course inciting hatred... His position is potentially subversive as a lead imam in that case. We know he is saying one thing behind closed doors to what his public statements on the matter are.

Soldato
Well of course he's entitled to his freedom of speech, unless it's of course inciting hatred... His position is potentially subversive as a lead imam in that case. We know he is saying one thing behind closed doors to what his public statements on the matter are.

I agree - and who doesn't say one thing behind closed doors and another in public? Just look at our politicians lol.

Anyway - If you actually knew Glasgow Central Mosque (I have a lot of family in glasgow so visit it often) there are a lot of internal wranglings going on between the older and younger generations (usual stuff, older committee members not making way for the younger generation etc).

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/14385932.Pakistani_rift_behind_turf_war_at_Glasgow_mosque/

This was a political move for power over the mosque. Highlight what the imaam is doing wrong so others can get in there.

Dont get me wrong - I don't agree with the imaams viewpoint, but thats exactly what it is - a viewpoint on pakistani capital punishment taken out of context.

One thing I will make clear though is that he is dead against terrorism and regularly speaks out against the recent paris and european attacks (as evidenced in the article I've linked). His viewpoint on some political event in pakistan has no bearing on his ability as an imaam.

Last edited:
Don
Dont get me wrong - I don't agree with the imaams viewpoint, but thats exactly what it is - a viewpoint on pakistani capital punishment taken out of context.

One thing I will make clear though is that he is dead against terrorism and regularly speaks out against the recent paris and european attacks (as evidenced in the article I've linked). His viewpoint on some political event in pakistan has no bearing on his ability as an imaam.
Sorry, but what bit of
A true Muslim was punished for doing [that] which the collective will of the nation failed to carry out
Was taken out of context? I can't see how you can possibly spin that as a criticism of capital punishment - other than capital punishment being used on someone he believed had done the right thing in killing someone whilst the state stood by a let someone "blashemy" islam!

What people say behind closed doors is the true window into their beliefs.

Soldato
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-35945724

So he's committed no crime. Doesn't play into your narrative though for you to show this article though does it jokester? instead you pick the older one that fits your own POV.

Speaking at a conference in Glasgow on Thursday representing differing strands of Muslim faith, imam Habib Ur Rehman repeated that his comments were "misconstrued" and said the situation had added to his "sense of tragedy" following recent terror attacks.

He said: "I condemn extrajudicial killing and anarchy. The spirit of Islam is a spirit of peace."

Police Scotland Superintendent Jim Baird said: "Officers have reviewed all comments as reported to Police Scotland and, whilst it is appreciated that individuals raise issues that concern them, on this occasion no criminality has been established.

"Police Scotland thank the members of the public who raised this issue with us.

"Each person who reported their concerns to the police, and who were not anonymous, was responded to individually. This assisted us in directly answering the specific points they raised."

Caporegime
That he's committed no crime isn't really relavant - the point was that here is a mainstream muslim leader from a prominent mosque coming out with rather an abhorrent and backwards view - this isn't some anomaly, we've got rather large muslim countries like Pakistan who are quite happy to kill people for 'blasphemy'. The issue is that lots of mainstream Islam is actually pretty extremist.

Soldato
I look forward to reading a rejection from the mosque that stickers advertising his website were displayed within the mosque. If I don't read that in the next 24 to 48 hours then I'll know the mainstream media largely got it right.
Sorry to bring this thread up but spotted this from a few days ago and thought I would post in case you missed it
http://lutonislamiccentre.com/press-release/
Luton Islamic Centre Press Release 10/04/2017

The trustees of Luton Islamic Centre strongly refute Andrew Gilligan’s ridiculous allegation that Khālid Masood was a public contact person for our mosque’s web site. Gilligan is implying that the Luton Islamic Centre is in some way complicit in the tragic Westminster events of March 22. The entire Sunday Times article is based upon deliberately fabricated evidence.

Masood never attended our mosque; the sticker with Khalid Masood’s name and number on the leaflet was deliberately placed there to support Gilligan’s false allegation. Masood left Luton in 2012 and never to return. It is beggars belief that the Luton Islamic Centre, or any centre for that matter, would display leaflets with stickers attached, bearing the name and number of an infamous killer. On the Friday following Masood’s murderous rampage in London, the entire Friday sermon at the mosque was dedicated to condemning this attack and this was before Gilligan presented his so-called evidence.

Contrary to Gilligan’s claims, Luton Islamic Centre does not have a public contact person for the web site. The contact details of our web site are displayed online and consists of an email ([email protected]) and not a telephone number. Khalid Masood’s name has never appeared on our web site. Giiligan, on his own admittance has searched through the archives of our web site. We challenge him to bring any online evidence, linking Khalid Masood to our web site or to our mosque.

The opportunistic use of the deaths and injuries of our fellow citizens to scapegoat and demonise Muslims is gutter journalism at its worst and brings his entire profession into disrepute. Gilligans’s toxic obsession with attacking all things Islamic is hypocritical to the extreme given that he was once a paid employee of Press TV, the propaganda channel of the Iranian government.

The tragic events of March 22 brought together people from all walks of life, united in grief and in a determination not to allow this to divide us. For others, such as the fascist right and the likes of Gilligan, such murderous acts are the perfect opportunity to pedal hate and xenophobia.

The Holy Quran exhorts us to not to help or support any type of terrorism or extremism: The Quran states “ Co-operatewith one another in goodness and piety and do not co operate with one another in sin and enmity” (Chapter 5:2)

Luton Islamic Centre reaffirms its commitment to opposing violent radicalisation, and exposing and challenging those who promote it. It is from the teachings of Islam that Muslims must stand out firmly for justice. The Quran states “O you who have believed, stand out firmly for justice, witnesses for Allah, even if it be against yourselves or parents and relatives.” (Chapter 4: 135)

To date we have refuted the ideology of groups such as al-Qaeeda, ISIS, as well as al- Muhaajiroon through the distribution of tens of thousands of leaflets in mosques across the UK, several national conferences, publications of three books, as well as work in prisons, the streets and mosques across the country. We will continue to work with the Luton Council of Mosques, the Luton Borough Council, faith leaders, anti-racists and the police to ensure that Luton remains united against all forms of violent extremism.

[email protected]

Back
Top Bottom