Formula Boinc 2017

PDW

PDW

Associate
Yes, oz is correct.

I didn't know Ryan, never met him or posted in his threads, just read his games thread first and then Freefaller's thread.
I found the positive way he posted and replied to people given the awful circumstances he was faced with inspiring.
After the bad news on the Tuesday evening (4th April) I started running SCC/MCM on my own account but after the really sad news that he had passed away on the Wednesday morning I created a new account for him. I thought it would be nice to help remember him by getting his name (forum ID) near the top of the WCG list for our team.
The settings are to only run the cancer sub-projects (SCC/MCM) and whilst it can't help Ryan it might help find a cure for someone else in his family, his friends, people who knew him and people who didn't have the privilege to know him.

This was also why I chose MCM for the Pentathlon, I doubt it will get chosen I expect one of the others to be picked due to credit/run time/platform support, but if it is I will also run under his ID for that too.

If you aren't an OcUk member you can find the fund-raising thread Freefaller started which includes a link to Ryan's thread here:
forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/help-ryan-fight-his-cancer.18767651/

Sorry, the link isn't clickable for some reason. Sorted.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
That's very thoughtful and respectful of you mate, I had no idea it was you.
I'd be happy to crunch in his name if MCM is chosen for the pentathlon, and even if it's not we can organise something after.

Xez

Xez

Associate
As someone with terminal cancer, due to selfish reason's I'm only doing the cancer ones! my little server is struggling but every little helps.

PDW

PDW

Associate
Hi Xez, yes, every little helps, even though they don't give the most credit that's not the point.
I'm aware of your cancer from other posts you've made and hope it isn't getting you down too much.
If today hasn't been a good day I do hope that tomorrow will be better for you.

Associate
Much respect PDW, for what you have done there. And my condolences to the team for the loss. And Xez, keep pushing forward, friend!

In other news, the Pentathlon Marathon project could get announced as soon as 0000UTC tonight! Or at 6, 12, 18, randomized so as to avoid that some teams are always surprised in their sleep. Too bad it can't be WCG, WCG is going to be the City Run.

PDW

PDW

Associate
That's very thoughtful and respectful of you mate, I had no idea it was you.
I'd be happy to crunch in his name if MCM is chosen for the pentathlon, and even if it's not we can organise something after.
Sorry, I'd meant to reply to you but then read Xez's post and replied to him and then had food to make and eat (and maybe a drink:)).

I thought I'd just get into the top 10 but having looked at WCG's project list https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/research/viewAllProjects.do I hadn't realised MCM is meant to end in August this year (I knew SCC was finishing). If MCM isn't in the Pentathlon then whenever the next GPU sprints ran I was going to do MCM on the cpu. I expect/hope that WCG will be doing more cancer research projects in future so had also thought of running those in future years.

PDW

PDW

Associate
In other news, the Pentathlon Marathon project could get announced as soon as 0000UTC tonight! Or at 6, 12, 18, randomized so as to avoid that some teams are always surprised in their sleep. Too bad it can't be WCG, WCG is going to be the City Run.
I got the impression that the Marathon would be announced exactly 5 days before, so 1am our time, 0.00 UTC for the aliens :)

Not that it matters much, will be sticking with the sprint and will use the time to work out the best tactics for the Pentathlon ;)

Associate
I just went and read the thread for Ryan, inspirational words and such great community spirit. Hats off to you PDW, such an amazing selfless gesture. I feel validated for the money and electric I've used helping this team and hopefully even one tiny step closer to finding a cure for any of these diseases.

Xez, sorry to hear you are going through this also, all I can do is keep on crunching as much as I can...

Associate
WOW up to 4th place now, great going guys, onwards and upwards, theres a certain team who should be getting a bit worried by now..and its not IBM :)

And to everybody affected with the big C :( God damn this and every government for not making cure for cancer the HIGHEST priority , theres 1 out there, just a matter of money which they would rather spend on useless nuclear crap, makes my blood boil !

Associate
Sorry guys my PC died last night. Kept getting bsod and what not. Have tried reinstalling windows but having the same issues. I think my SSD is on its way out.

Edit: So tracked it down one my my RAM modules is duff.

Last edited:

MGP

MGP

Soldato
F-117A_GBU-28.JPEG

But how big is the payload .....

Soldato
OP
It's all over, we came 4th :) and a good 4th if I do say so myself. Well done Anand for a well fought 3rd. OCN 6th, once again pipped for position on the final hour.

Next FB sprint is the same time as the pentathlon one, makes sense for them to be the same project.

On with the pentathlon!

Back
Top Bottom