*** Show us your Dogs ***

Associate
http://imgur.com/a/aFPh9
aFPh9
aFPh9

Soldato
From left to right my collection of dogs,

2mrwqic.jpg

Sad times ahead, we lost the far left lab (Fernie) near the beginning of the year, she was pushing 14 and that's relatively old for a lab, she had too many lumps and sores so she was put down. Wasn't so hard as it was expected.

However the spaniel, Jasper, second from the right. Has taken an unexpected turn unfortunately. Only just over 6 years old iirc, Saturday he lost the ability to get himself up using his back legs. He managed to get himself up when on a dog bed but the laminate and tiles he just couldn't. Went vets on Saturday and they couldn't suss it so he has gone back today for an x-ray. Turns out his spine has collapsed due to distingegrated vertebrates.

We get our farewells with him today for him to be put down tomorrow. :(

Soldato
Lost one of my best friends last weekend - Bella, our beautiful labrador/collie cross. My girlfriend had her from 6 months old as a rescue pup, and she's been part of my life since I met my girlfriend eight years ago.

She was always very youthful. I remember taking her for a walk less than a year ago and having other dog owners asking about her and being astounded to hear that she was almost 14; most people thought she was only 2 or 3 years old given her energy and condition. Over the last 9 months or so, she started to slow down and had lost a little of that "spark" though - a little arthritic in her hips which meant she was a bit slower off the mark and long walks tired her out more. And more recently, she was diagnosed with the onset of kidney failure, but nothing that couldn't be managed with a special diet and she was otherwise in excellent shape for a dog of her age.

Unfortunately, over the past couple of weeks, she started to lose her appetite for a lot of food, she was very lethargic, and we noticed her breathing becoming quite laboured. Hoped it was perhaps a bout of pneumonia, but last Saturday, a chest x-ray revealed that her chest cavity was filled with a "mass" which was suspected to be cancerous and causing her the breathing trouble and lethargy. Nothing that the vet could do other than recommend that she be put to sleep as she was obviously not comfortable and she would likely only get worse if she kept refusing food and losing weight.

She was put to sleep on Monday afternoon so we could spend our last weekend with her. The vet was kind enough to come to meet us at my girlfriend's stables, so we could do it sitting in one of Bella's favourite spots in the field, rather than in a surgery. She died in my arms on my lap with my girlfriend cuddling her head.

We are both absolutely devastated. I keep telling myself that at 14.5 years old she had a great run, but it's left a huge hole in my life and I miss her immensely.

Sleep tight Bells x :(

bella%20036_zps7f9j1fai.jpg

bella%20041_zpssmindd15.jpg

bella%20012_zpsiomeotez.jpg

bella%20054_zpskukp9xqo.jpg

bella%20026_zps6bvo1nna.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
We adopted a yellow one on Sunday.

Her names Lola, she's 4 1/2 as we got her from Labrador Welfare Sheffield.

She needs a bit of training, has selective hearing but hopefully some 1-2-1 training with her for the next couple of weeks should get her as good as Izzy (the black one).

She's adapted to her new life quite well, at the moment neither of them are interested in each other, almost like they just tolerate one and other, but maybe that will change!?

IRIss77l.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/IRIss77.jpg

Soldato
Probably getting my first dog (a lab) in a couple of months. I'm worried for my furniture. Any tips for a first-time owner most gratefully received!

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Probably getting my first dog (a lab) in a couple of months. I'm worried for my furniture. Any tips for a first-time owner most gratefully received!

Get a large crate for when you're out that doubles up as their bed when you're in. That'll mitigate any chewing which is usually only in younger labs anyway. A crate needs to be big enough they can turn around in it comfortably.

Associate

The golden lab we had when we were kids went through a phase of chewing everything at about 18 months old.

Fred, our 8 year old black lab, has never been a chewer.

Awesome dogs regardless! :D

Soldato
Sad times ahead, we lost the far left lab (Fernie) near the beginning of the year, she was pushing 14 and that's relatively old for a lab, she had too many lumps and sores so she was put down. Wasn't so hard as it was expected.

However the spaniel, Jasper, second from the right. Has taken an unexpected turn unfortunately. Only just over 6 years old iirc, Saturday he lost the ability to get himself up using his back legs. He managed to get himself up when on a dog bed but the laminate and tiles he just couldn't. Went vets on Saturday and they couldn't suss it so he has gone back today for an x-ray. Turns out his spine has collapsed due to distingegrated vertebrates.

We get our farewells with him today for him to be put down tomorrow. :(

Eh, fingers crossed with my boy. Was about... 10 months old when he had trouble with his back legs. Completely random, they were... working (would support him) but he clearly couldn't feel them/similar, was just sat braced on his front legs and looking pretty stressed (he seemed to have no control over his wee fella either/aka "lipstick"). Thankfully all fine within about a day and half, seems like it was a trapped nerve/similar but... still a worry.
I'd semi forgotten about it, he's absolutely solid these days and no issues with agility but... yeah, this reminded me. Fingers crossed it doesn't come back and sorry to hear about your boy :(

Associate
Oh, a Lab... lucky thing. They are the most wonderful dogs.

We had a black Lab bitch when I was younger and she lived till 14 but had to have her put down as she was passing blood in her urine and the vet said it was the kindest thing. She went about 25 years ago and I still miss her dearly. :(

Back
Top Bottom