Bad CBT Experience - looking for some advice

Soldato
Tbh i think CBT is too easy. I was a right danger on the road after just my CBT, no idea what I was doing and I had a full car license. so at least had some road knowledge.
Instructors are perhaps too easy on giving out the certs, but certainly CBT itself is decent. There's nothing in the full test that you don't cover on CBT, you just do it to a higher standard, pretty much.

But I remain concerned that any issues people brought up would just result in more and more regulations and restrictions, while allowing any young fool with a car licence to hop in whatever they like.

As for making the car test easier... no turn in the road and no reverse around a corner - and that's basically it? Did people seriously fail on manouvers for anything but not looking enough?
Yes, yes they did. Bikers, for example, often take biking lines out of habit, which can be a fail in a car.

If you go and get another session all you're going to be doing is the same thing, except you'll be paying to have someone watch you do it.
You'll also be paying for qualified, professional advice on exactly where you're going wrong and how you can correct it, though, which no amount of internets and YouTubes can provide. I'd personally not even trust most fellow riders to advise in that capacity.

Soldato
Instructors are perhaps too easy on giving out the certs, but certainly CBT itself is decent. There's nothing in the full test that you don't cover on CBT, you just do it to a higher standard, pretty much.

Seems many schools skip over parts though. Pretty sure we didn't do emergency stop in CBT (certainly not out on the road) and we were only out on the road for just over an hour including a watch instructor chain smoke break.

Soldato
I'm sure most of them are smokers, my CBT instructor was rolling his next rollup while smoking the first one.

Same with my das instructor, had to tell him twice as he was always on his phone, every opportunity he got his phone out.

Soldato
I'm sure most of them are smokers, my CBT instructor was rolling his next rollup while smoking the first one.

Same with my das instructor, had to tell him twice as he was always on his phone, every opportunity he got his phone out.
Yep. I feel like I paid for too many of their smoke breaks. Probably spent near 30-40% of my training time watching them smoke.

Soldato
Didn't read it all, sorry - I'm lazy :p

Just ask yourself this... was it in jest? My instructor ripped into pupils mercilessly - some of it often felt awkward and inappropriate, but on reflection, I think he balanced hatred with humour.

Think about it, they see endless amounts of people, of varying levels of performance - I'm sure we all get a little jaded at times and can be a bit spiteful with our comments, without knowing it. I'm not trying to make an excuse for it, but you were in an intense alien situation, it could just be that your heightened senses caused an over reaction on your part?

When I was training, I couldn't care less what I was called over the radio or face to face - as I only wanted one thing; to pass. After this, I'd be off on my own, down to the bike shop, to go buy my first sportsbike.

Soldato
When I was training, I couldn't care less what I was called over the radio or face to face - as I only wanted one thing; to pass. After this, I'd be off on my own, down to the bike shop, to go buy my first sportsbike.

Although my experience wasn't nearly as bad as the OPs I think the above sums up my feelings as well. I knew that as soon as I passed I wouldn't need to put up with this anymore. Learning to ride and going to the lessons was horrible,; I hated it. I passed first time though and didn't have any confidence issues, I just hated getting up early and forking out hundreds for it :D

Best decision ever though. Been riding ever since :)

Soldato
I'd probably take up chain smoking as well if I had to deal with people doing cbts especially the little 16 year old rude boys.
Round here a lot of the instructors seem to be cops or ex cops. Apparently on multiple occasions they've called in colleagues to nick wanted persons trying to get CBT renewal :D

mjd

mjd

Associate
OP
Whilst I am happy to accept it may have been 'banter' (I can't stand that word) in the early stages, it was far from jesting as time went on. It was aggressive in tone, often irrelevant, and unnecessarily derogatory. In the event of a mistake I was essentially made to feel like an inconvenience. Had he have being doing this out of the goodness of his heart I could understand him being so overly vocal in expressing his frustration, but he was being paid quite handsomely to not only ensure I was safe to ride, but to teach me to do so. He didn't appear to have anything to deal with somebody not instantly being able to pick it up. Which to my mind meant he wasn't teaching. Screaming in your ear,and essentially causing unecessary panic whenever something goes wrong, would seem to be the last thing to do if you expect somebody to react in a controlled and calm manner.

One

One

Soldato
You'll also be paying for qualified, professional advice on exactly where you're going wrong and how you can correct it, though, which no amount of internets and YouTubes can provide. I'd personally not even trust most fellow riders to advise in that capacity.

I dunno, we're just talking about getting him up to the typical CBT level aren't we?

Plus it's just bike control which you can only really learn by yourself. There's no telematics you can't see if you've got too much throttle or too little clutch. It either feels right or it doesn't.

Caporegime
go to a new school/I structor explain the situation.

I wouldn't bother redoing the CBT stuff a good school will put you through all that stuff anyway. (CBT is a legal thing just because you've done it doesn't mean your good at anything in iy) before they let you on the road.

cannot belive the guy passed you though after Bunning the bike twice.

also what the **** are they dping putting people on a bike where the basic displays like rev counter arent working!?.

edit: I was like you very uncoordinated and really must have tried the patience of my instructors but I mever reciver anything like you describe. a few bits of banter but all good natured

Soldato
I dunno, we're just talking about getting him up to the typical CBT level aren't we?
No, we're talking about getting him to a good CBT level.

Plus it's just bike control which you can only really learn by yourself. There's no telematics you can't see if you've got too much throttle or too little clutch. It either feels right or it doesn't.
Tell that to all the good instructors, who can clearly hear when you have too much throttle.

It's easy to know when you've got it wrong. It's not so easy to find the point where you have it right. Same for everything else on the bike - You may think you're doing fine, but the number of riders target-locking on the U-turn without realising is huge.
Yes, you can go off and learn everything by yourself, bumbling through and maybe surviving the road... but it's far better learning and a faster route to have someone else watching for the pitfalls and bad habits, to correct them early.

Soldato
That's just a lesson though. He's not going to get any of that on another CBT course.
I imagine they'll cost about the same, give or take... And a new instructor may insist he sits the full CBT, just in case the first instructor was a complete arse and OP subsequently needs a lot of wrongs righting. Depends how much faith either the instructor or the OP has in the first guy issuing the CBT out of a competent assessment rather that just playing nicey-nicey.

Caporegime
one thing is. cbt youre potentially a one off customer on a lesson youre a repeat customer so Mau get better attention

IC3

IC3

Soldato
one thing is. cbt youre potentially a one off customer on a lesson youre a repeat customer so Mau get better attention
That's a bad way of thinking, CBT is a gateway to get a feel of what its like on two wheels. At the end of the day, its in your blood, or it ain't. I know loads of people that gave up on bikes, some didn't even crash.

Last edited:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Yeah a CBT is a great tester of what a school is like - you can see if they're any good before slapping down nearly a grand with them...
Exactly, that's why I was surprised why they would act in such a way. I said at the end of my CBT, I'll see you in a few months time to do my license. :D

Soldato
That's a bad way of thinking, CBT is a gateway to get a feel of what its like on two wheels.
But that's the problem - Some people DO run it as a business, rather than a teaching experience and a welcoming opportunity, which is why we're advocating another crack at it with a decent instructor who will be motivated by bringing someone up to standard more than by an extra £100 in his bank acount.

At the end of the day, its in your blood, or it ain't. I know loads of people that gave up on bikes, some didn't even crash.
How many of them were just 'Ped boys not yet old/rich enough for a car, though, giving rise to the moneyspinning schools?
Most people who show up looking for CBT with the intent to go DAS or whatever do already "have it in their blood"... but many more can still learn just as well if they have the right teacher. I'd never use ^that phrase though, as it sounds pretty discouraging and dismissive of riders who would simply benefit from better training.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
But that's the problem - Some people DO run it as a business, rather than a teaching experience and a welcoming opportunity, which is why we're advocating another crack at it with a decent instructor who will be motivated by bringing someone up to standard more than by an extra £100 in his bank acount.

If a potential 700 quid was in front of you, would you be a D head to it or would you be nice and create an atmosphere to which that 700 quid would want to comeback to? :p

Back
Top Bottom