Bad CBT Experience - looking for some advice

Man of Honour
If it instructors did it for the love it would be free, at the end of the day it is a business and like all businesses you'll get some people who are there because it's a wage and some people who have a passion for their job but at the end of the day even they're still doing it because they've got bills to pay.

I wouldn't bother going through another CBT, if you really must I'd find another school and pay for a couple of hours one to one out on the road. It'll cost about the same as a CBT but be much more useful.

Soldato
Thing is these places also run off word of mouth and from the experience of others. For example I will never recommend the place I took my CBT/Mod1/2 at because it was a poor school. Not only because the bikes were a bit rough but the instructors were extremely impatient with everyone and everything they did.
I know two people I would have recommended that school so that's a potential loss of £1400 purely because I had a bit of a rough time there. Same as any business really.

Soldato
If a potential 700 quid was in front of you, would you be a D head to it or would you be nice and create an atmosphere to which that 700 quid would want to comeback to? :p
I know what I would do, sure... but it also depends on the person, at the end of the day.

You will get some who are just 'Ped boys wanting to hoon about and will not listen to any sense, before one day (likely sooner than later) crashing in a decidedly non-Boss fashion and will still whine and play the victim.
Then you get the older nobs with more money, who just want the necessary formality of a licence so they can put the Beemah away for the Summer and hoon around on a Blayde or a Boo-sah, innit....

If it instructors did it for the love it would be free, at the end of the day it is a business and like all businesses you'll get some people who are there because it's a wage and some people who have a passion for their job but at the end of the day even they're still doing it because they've got bills to pay.
But most are fully booked often enough that it's pretty much a guaranteed regular income, at which point they can focus more on the love.

I wouldn't bother going through another CBT, if you really must I'd find another school and pay for a couple of hours one to one out on the road. It'll cost about the same as a CBT but be much more useful.
As I mentioned, some may insist on a CBT (even a partial) just to be sure that everything was properly covered and the OP was not given duff (or even dangerous) instruction.... depends on the costs, really.

Thing is these places also run off word of mouth and from the experience of others.
Not that many new riders looking for a school will have spoken with other riders already. Most will just want a local place that looks good.
We had one up at Lightning round our way, by the name of Jonathan, who had one of the worst reps around. Bad temper, impatient, nasty and aggressive, with the highest rate of students failing their tests.
I believe he was eventually fired because he lost his rag with a student, flung his lid in rage at something and then stormed off, leaving three L-plate riders with school bikes stranded at the roadside... but I believe he was fired because this wasn't by any means the first time he'd done this.

Now Lightning were a large school, with a good 8+ instructors, so no shortage of slots for a replacement, yet Jonathan managed to stay there for years while the complaints against him racked up.
But they still have a captive market - There are at least four bike schools just in Reading and they are always busy. The upside is that there's options if one doesn't meet expectations.

Soldato
whilst he was a t**t he did push me to prove him wrong.
Might have been. Pretend-beard, perpetual sunglasses, looks like he has the attitude that he does?
Jonathan wasn't really what I'd have called the encouraging type, unless the drive to 'In Yer Face' him was your own.

Tbh I was pretty happy with Lightning, they where very flexible with me and all the instructors bar that one where pleasant enough and I liked the different and at times weird personalities.
Oh, they have good there, too. One of my friend's first job after Cardington was at Lightning. That was a while back and he moved due to unhappy conditions, so William (owner) may have learned from the past and improved things. But certainly they weren't all rotten to the core. It was just pot luck which one you got.

Caporegime
My wife and I both used these guys for my CBT and can't recommend them enough. I'll also be going to them for my DAS as soon as my holiday allowance refreshes. My only gripe was that their kit was pretty rank, their gloves stank but I know for next time to bring my own kit.

http://mctlondon.co.uk

Associate
I had the same experience I didn't drop or fall of though but I was absolutely terrible only to belittled by the instructor of how I drive a car, I passed and thought **** this my confidence was absolutely zero no way was I getting on a bike after it, a year passed and thought I really did want to ride so I'll go for some lessons low and behold I was again useless and again the instructor was a grade a ******* who just showed off how good he was rather than teaching me so I went to another instructor which wierdly was exactly the same cocky as hell attitude with comments like who even passed your CBT... Needless to say I didn't even do a full lesson, put his bike on the stand and walked off and didn't even look back.. cbt ran out and they can all go suck a bag of dicks.

Back
Top Bottom