Aorus Owner's Lounge

Associate
I see that there is a BIOS update for the X5 MD listed on http://resources.aorus.com/Product/Download/X5 MD !

Versions are FB0D FD0D & EC009, dated 2017-07-31, whereas the previous version was FB0B FD0B & EC007 2017-06-23.

My machine is boxed up (not sealed though) and ready to return to OCUK - @Atom80 or @AORUS - Mean Machine , can you tell me if this update is worth unboxing it again for?! Any chance you've upped the performance?

Matzie, i just checked my laptop using the Driver Update application and it looks like I'm running the latest bios version (FB0D / F009) with nvidia driver 382.66 (aorus' website has 382.30 though) and got a Firestrike score of 14189. Not sure how I dropped 500 points after just updating everything, but it's possible I was only using 382.30 when I did that second test (I can't recall). After putting my fans into maximum jet engine mode my score went up to 14382.

Last edited:
AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
I see that there is a BIOS update for the X5 MD listed on http://resources.aorus.com/Product/Download/X5 MD !

Versions are FB0D FD0D & EC009, dated 2017-07-31, whereas the previous version was FB0B FD0B & EC007 2017-06-23.

My machine is boxed up (not sealed though) and ready to return to OCUK - @Atom80 or @AORUS - Mean Machine , can you tell me if this update is worth unboxing it again for?! Any chance you've upped the performance?

Hi matzie - having boxed and un-boxed a fair few machines, its only a few minute task, so we would say "do it" - Mean Machine is not in the office today, so we don't have any in-depth details on the driver update, but for sure it has to be worth trying - seems others have seen improved results, so give it w whirl.

Can we ask if your reason for wanting to return is purely about the benchmark results?

Keep us posted,

Regards,

Team AORUS

Associate
Hi matzie - having boxed and un-boxed a fair few machines, its only a few minute task,
<snip>
Can we ask if your reason for wanting to return is purely about the benchmark results?

Well a packed-up-and-sealed-up-and-ready-to-return box will take a bit longer, as it will need to be similarly repackaged - but I will unpack it anyway :)

Reason for return is because the performance - of my model at least, though others have found the same - is about 10% lower than that reported for the 1070 version (even the v6) whereas I was given to expect, by Mean Machine's answer to my question before I bought it, performance 10-15% *higher*. That differential proved the difference between games being playable and unplayable at native res at acceptable-to-me frame rates. As I've said before, I never expected 'full fat' 1080 perf. The crazy thing is, I reckon an X5 MD even as it is, with a QHD screen would probably have been fine - gaming at non-native res is not for me.

Don't worry though - either this BIOS update will make a difference... or I'll be pre-ordering the X7 DT v7 CF-2 (as I don't even trust the full-fat 1080 to run 4k) and taking the hit on the size and weight - so I'll remain an Aorus customer :)

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Well a packed-up-and-sealed-up-and-ready-to-return box will take a bit longer, as it will need to be similarly repackaged - but I will unpack it anyway :)

Reason for return is because the performance - of my model at least, though others have found the same - is about 10% lower than that reported for the 1070 version (even the v6) whereas I was given to expect, by Mean Machine's answer to my question before I bought it, performance 10-15% *higher*. That differential proved the difference between games being playable and unplayable at native res at acceptable-to-me frame rates. As I've said before, I never expected 'full fat' 1080 perf. The crazy thing is, I reckon an X5 MD even as it is, with a QHD screen would probably have been fine - gaming at non-native res is not for me.

Don't worry though - either this BIOS update will make a difference... or I'll be pre-ordering the X7 DT v7 CF-2 (as I don't even trust the full-fat 1080 to run 4k) and taking the hit on the size and weight - so I'll remain an Aorus customer :)

OK, thanks for feedback, let us know if the update gets you where you want to be :)

Regards,

Atom80

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
NEW ARRIVAL - AORUS X3

Hi all, just wanted to announce a new spec of AORUS X3 arrived at OCUK this week.

We have launched this model with lower res screen, (based on feedback on previous generations), Corei7 7700HQ (instead of 7820HK) and installed PRO operating system so that professional users wont need to upgrade and in effect pay twice for O/S.

Changes enable us to reach a more aggressive price point of £1,799

AORUS X3 R7-CF1 - VIEW IT HERE

Regards,

Team AORUS

Associate
Hi Atom,

Currently the X& DT v7 CF2 is top of my shortlist for my new gaming laptop. However I need my new laptop within a month before I go abroad.

Will OC UK be receiving any in stock imminently? I have not yet preordered as if the lead time is too long I will have to get something else.

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Hi Atom80,

Thanks for the reply, order is in for the X7V7-cf2.

All the best,

Ruadhán

Hi @Atom80

Thanks for the reply. as soon as we have a reasonable idea of when a delivery date will be I will look at placing an order. with regard to the SSD ports in the product description it states 'single drive reaching 2000 MB/s' and 'X7 DT v7 which houses two 512GB M.2 PCIe SSD'. Can you confirm that the cf1 (4K version) comes with a single 512Gb SSD and that one of these will fit in the second drive bay and will not be limited to the 2000MB/s:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sams...3.0-x-4-nvme-solid-state-drive-hd-22f-sa.html

Hi both,

Just to let you know there is small qty of X7 V7-CF1 & CF2 and X7 DT V7 CF1 & CF2 leaving factory now, and should be arriving with OCUK on Monday.

We haven't had chance to check how many pre-orders there are on each sku, but hopefully you are both at the front of the Q and will receive from them early next week.

Hope that helps,

Team AORUS

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Hi Atom,

Currently the X& DT v7 CF2 is top of my shortlist for my new gaming laptop. However I need my new laptop within a month before I go abroad.

Will OC UK be receiving any in stock imminently? I have not yet preordered as if the lead time is too long I will have to get something else.

Hi greygriffin - great timing - we would suggest placing order now, as stock is landing on MONDAY, as per above post, limited qty, but we have just check with OcUK and on that sku, we are shipping enough to cover existing pre-orders, leaving a couple spare.

Hope that info reaches you in time to action it :)

Have a great weekend,

Regards,

Team AORUS

Associate
Hi both,

Just to let you know there is small qty of X7 V7-CF1 & CF2 and X7 DT V7 CF1 & CF2 leaving factory now, and should be arriving with OCUK on Monday.

We haven't had chance to check how many pre-orders there are on each sku, but hopefully you are both at the front of the Q and will receive from them early next week.

Hope that helps,

Team AORUS

That'll be ace, thanks Atom80 for the update!

Associate
Hi greygriffin - great timing - we would suggest placing order now, as stock is landing on MONDAY, as per above post, limited qty, but we have just check with OcUK and on that sku, we are shipping enough to cover existing pre-orders, leaving a couple spare.

Hope that info reaches you in time to action it :)

Have a great weekend,

Regards,

Team AORUS

Nice hope I get mine this wait is agonizing.

Associate
The different BIOS didn't help.. I think perhaps (although the update date said 2017-07-31) I was actually already on that version. I tried the earlier one (dated 2017-06-23 on resources.aorus.com) and did get some improvement then - with full fans and full OC, I get close to 14400 now and that seems repeatable, which is the best I've had I think. In real world terms that is translating to about 27fps at 4k in Witcher 3, ultra everything and hair works, which is low enough to make me feel a bit nauseous - I'm very susceptible to that. Dropping res to 1440p I get closer to 40fps which is ok for me, and in that particular game, I don't mind the non-native res. In Star Citizen though (yes, I know, anything you could say, I know, but it's my addiction), non-native res is terrible as text is very blurry - and 4k in SC, I'm getting about 19-21fps (in Arena Commander, Free Flight).

Associate
Can one of the Aorus reps tell me about the Battery in this X5 v7. And the AC adapter? Its output voltage and current?

I plan on making a powerbank with some of my RC batteries since i have so many Lipos.

I am assuming the charge controller is built into the laptop and not the AC adapter. So i just need to provide it with the 17.4v 6.2A. Again, assuming that the battery is truly using a High Voltage type of cell.

Soldato
As it's getting to the point where I can't be without a laptop for much longer, I might order the X7 DT soon... although it's sad that I'm pretty much "expecting" issues :(

Associate
Hi OcUK, I was a member here in a previous life.

To anyone who has received the X7 V7 & X7 DT V7 with the 120Hz panel. Any complaints? Or does the quality of the screen match the quality, spec and price of the rest of the product.

I can't really stomach another £400 for the 4K screen as I feel the Aorus range stops providing good value the other side of £3K. Though I would like the extra RAM and SSD capacity.
It's a shame that we can't configure the spec in the UK (Scan or OC) while in the US, I know on XoticPC, the spec can be customised.

Associate
I preordered the X7 DT v7 QHD yesterday. Received an 'out of stock' notification from OCUK a couple of hours later; hoping that's automated and I was in time to get one of the first shipment in. I agree with you @jimjim150 about the specs though - I wanted QHD and 32GB. Adding extra SSDs so that's not a factor. And re the screen, @Derek712 was impressed IIRC.

Soldato
I preordered the X7 DT v7 QHD yesterday. Received an 'out of stock' notification from OCUK a couple of hours later; hoping that's automated and I was in time to get one of the first shipment in. I agree with you @jimjim150 about the specs though - I wanted QHD and 32GB. Adding extra SSDs so that's not a factor. And re the screen, @Derek712 was impressed IIRC.

I might hold off on my purchase until I see your initial review! And I agree it's a bit annoying having to order additional RAM and SSDs separately.. but I guess I won't have to worry about any of that if your experience is grim :D

Associate
Hi Rob_215 - we awaiting firm information from HQ as to what models are going to be shipped this week.

Although we can't offer discount on additional SSD, because we don't sell them, we of course would like to do something to honour your repeat custom. So let us know when order placed and we will arrange something for you.

Would one of these be of use to you? https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aoru...top-backpack-case-black-orange-lt-02u-au.html

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Regards,

Team AORUS

Hi @Atom80

I placed an order Friday for a DT Cf1, hopefully my order was processed in time for me to be allocated one of the units due in today, otherwise may need to see if Scan have more stock. Is the stock still looking like it will be in today so we stand a chance of receiving units tomorrow?
PS the bag looks good but also the keyboards look good as well.

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Hi @Atom80

I placed an order Friday for a DT Cf1, hopefully my order was processed in time for me to be allocated one of the units due in today, otherwise may need to see if Scan have more stock. Is the stock still looking like it will be in today so we stand a chance of receiving units tomorrow?
PS the bag looks good but also the keyboards look good as well.

Hi Rob_215 - just checked courier tracking, and goods were signed for at OCUK this morning ast 9.30ish - so will be waiting to be booked in and put on shelf.

Should be turned around today, and pre-orders despatched.....

Fingers crossed.

We will contact OCUK to ensure these units are prioritised.

Thanks for your order.

Regards,

Team AORUS

Back
Top Bottom