Vodafone broadband any good?

Associate
OP
LOL...i've had over £2000 from cashback deals in 5 years using TCB.

The biggest payouts were BT when I initially moved into my current property in 2012 and Sky. Each over £100 a piece.
What is it you don't trust exactly?

As above I've saved around the same as Six using it over the years.

I took a look at what it said on Money Saving Expert and they seems to suggest that the pay outs are not always guaranteed, and with the likes of Vodafone paying £100 towards early cancelation I could only take BT for say 10 months then switch and that might mean I wouldn't get those months' pay out. And with only a few pounds in it is seems like the direct option might be better.

Soldato
I took a look at what it said on Money Saving Expert and they seems to suggest that the pay outs are not always guaranteed, and with the likes of Vodafone paying £100 towards early cancelation I could only take BT for say 10 months then switch and that might mean I wouldn't get those months' pay out. And with only a few pounds in it is seems like the direct option might be better.

The only place i've struggled to get cashback was Agoda, they dragged their heels for ages, changed the payout amount, I had to fight for months to get the initial promised rate.

Everyone else has been spot on, i've even been paid for items that were cancelled/returned. Virgin media have paid me twice for cancelled installations they couldn't do due to my cul-de-sac.

I've had anything from a few pence back from online dominos orders to about £350 something for an insurance policy.

Soldato
It's £7.16/m after cash back for 52/10, thats stupidly cheap, combined with the sim offers its a no brainer considering what others in the market are doing.

Also neither of the cash back sites operate on a per month basis, you are required to make a certain number of payments before CB is paid, but its rarely 10.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

FTTC is FTTC, the only difference in choosing one ISP over another is customer service (EDIT: and price), in my opinion. It's when things go wrong, how do they treat you, and how rapidly do they resolve your problem. Vodafone in my experience is an AWFUL company, I had so many problems with them until I left, and will never again in my lifetime sign up for anything with them.

Soldato
It's £7.16/m after cash back for 52/10, thats stupidly cheap, combined with the sim offers its a no brainer considering what others in the market are doing.

Also neither of the cash back sites operate on a per month basis, you are required to make a certain number of payments before CB is paid, but its rarely 10.

Both my cashback with BT and Vodafone was paid in less than 5 weeks.

Caporegime
FTTC is FTTC, the only difference in choosing one ISP over another is customer service (EDIT: and price), in my opinion. It's when things go wrong, how do they treat you, and how rapidly do they resolve your problem. Vodafone in my experience is an AWFUL company, I had so many problems with them until I left, and will never again in my lifetime sign up for anything with them.

I've seen serious complaints with all providers though, even BT's forum is full of people raging for months on end, it's just luck of the draw really and others on here have said their experience with Vodaphone's CS has been better than other providers so it's swings and roundabouts.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
TalkTalk's the same cost, with a fixed price contract, and £95 Qudico. Plus none of the "you must use an approved router/modem" nonsense.

Last edited:
Associate
OP

Where do you get £7.16? The deal with the cash back is at their standard price.

Soldato
Where do you get £7.16? The deal with the cash back is at their standard price.

If you've read the HUKD thread you'd see where I got £7.16/m, offer price minus BT cash back by redemption, minus Quidco/TCB depending on who you prefer (TCB will match Quidco) averaged over the rental period.

Soldato
TalkTalk's the same cost, with a fixed price contract, and £95 Qudico. Plus none of the "you must used an approved router/modem" nonsense.

Try 'You must tell us you are using an approved Router' - It's really not the drama you make it out to be, Sky for example require you to use an approved router, namely the one they supply unless subscribing to Pro.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Sky for example require you to use an approved router, namely the one they supply unless subscribing to Pro.

Source please. Vodafone doesn't have a good track record when it comes to handing out login details. They need to be more open like BT, TT, and others.

Soldato
Sky ask you to use their own router and will not give out the login details. However! It's well known you can use Wire Shark to extract those details, so you can use your own kit no issue.

Sky don't care as long as you don't expect them to know the ins and outs of a 3rd party router, should you have any problems. But then if you did have line/internet issues, you just plug in the Sky hub to run diagnostics if necessary.

Vodafone also have done a U-turn a few months ago, they have now decided to allow the user/password to be handed out upon request. So you can use your own router with them as well!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
If you've read the HUKD thread you'd see where I got £7.16/m, offer price minus BT cash back by redemption, minus Quidco/TCB depending on who you prefer (TCB will match Quidco) averaged over the rental period.

From what I see on that page it says:

• provider/ monthly cost/ one-off installation cost/ reward/ cashback/ effective cost over 12 months
  • tcb/ £31.99/ £59.99/ £150.00/ £110.00/ £183.87
  • quidco/ £31.99/ £59.99/ £150.00/ £90.00/ £203.87
  • mse/ £27.99/ £9.99/ £150.00/ £0.00/ £195.87

Soldato
From what I see on that page it says:

If you look further (may have been deleted now as it was technically abuse), you'll see it's possible to stack the MSE price and £150 offer/ £110 cash back with a minor URL modification.

Source please. Vodafone doesn't have a good track record when it comes to handing out login details. They need to be more open like BT, TT, and others.

Speak to Vodafone, web chat Vodafone, have a look at Vodafone's own forums - you can laugh at some of the speculation about why Vodafone didn't want to (hint: some users really should wear tin foil hats and clearly have no grasp of how the current ISP market operates), Kitz, this sub forum or any other where discussion of the finer points of UK vdsl providers are common.

Soldato
I've seen serious complaints with all providers though, even BT's forum is full of people raging for months on end, it's just luck of the draw really and others on here have said their experience with Vodaphone's CS has been better than other providers so it's swings and roundabouts.

I am one of those people raging:
1) 26th June: Ordered home move for my Infinity 1 + eve/weekend calls. The new property was classed as 'silver' as it hadn't been on their network before so I had to temporarily downgrade to ADSL. Earliest appointment 17th July
2) 17th July: Engineer arrived as promised during allocated time. Mastersocket installed and services active by midnight. They didn't activate/work

I have had no working services since the 17th July. It's actually shocking how rubbish BT's customer service are via live chat, phone and social media. Countless callbacks which never materialised, engineer appointments come and go with no sign of an engineer or working services as promised. USELESS.

We've recently been assigned a single point of contact who hasn't proven useful thus far

Soldato
I am one of those people raging:
1) 26th June: Ordered home move for my Infinity 1 + eve/weekend calls. The new property was classed as 'silver' as it hadn't been on their network before so I had to temporarily downgrade to ADSL. Earliest appointment 17th July
2) 17th July: Engineer arrived as promised during allocated time. Mastersocket installed and services active by midnight. They didn't activate/work

I have had no working services since the 17th July. It's actually shocking how rubbish BT's customer service are via live chat, phone and social media. Countless callbacks which never materialised, engineer appointments come and go with no sign of an engineer or working services as promised. USELESS.

We've recently been assigned a single point of contact who hasn't proven useful thus far

The only way i got anywhere was to pick a fight with the head of residential (he made me redundant some years ago), I immediately got palmed off to the CEO minions, but it had the desired effect.

Soldato
If you look further (may have been deleted now as it was technically abuse), you'll see it's possible to stack the MSE price and £150 offer/ £110 cash back with a minor URL modification.

Speak to Vodafone, web chat Vodafone, have a look at Vodafone's own forums - you can laugh at some of the speculation about why Vodafone didn't want to (hint: some users really should wear tin foil hats and clearly have no grasp of how the current ISP market operates), Kitz, this sub forum or any other where discussion of the finer points of UK vdsl providers are common.

The two possible reasons for Vodafone not handing out details were quite simple:
1. They wanted an easy life. Every single user has the same equipment at the end of the connection. This makes technical support 100x easier as you are dealing with known kit on each occasion. Threatening "no support if you're not using our equipment" is just that, a threat.
2. Vodafone's ADSL offering is in fact tiered fibre. So pay for ADSL, use your own equipment at get a 40/10 fibre connection instead.

I did read through the Vodafone forums, not sure of the "tin foil level" theories behind the reason - I couldn't spot any.

Back
Top Bottom