XCOM 2: War of the Chosen

Associate
Long war 2 can vary in length and how many missions you want to do. On legendary most players rush to coil and aim to do golden path missions asap due to the doom clock and ever increasing strength of advent.

On rookie you can take it easy, on my current rookie campaign I am doing about 40 missions between supply drops. I have around 100 soldiers in barracks, 30 of which are msgt, fully teched and just waiting to infiltrate the Forge mission.

It's mid December and doom clock is on 4 pips, I am in total control of this campaign and just want to get it wrapped up.

I feel shinobi with the grim reaper skill is so powerful along with incendiary grenadiers.

Soldato
Like the look of this, bought xcom 2 recently as I didnt have it, but the constant crashing makes it unplayable. Can barely manage one mission without a crash. Latest drivers etc etc tried all the "tricks" on the steam/2k forums. Still happens.

Soldato
It says partial controller support in steam. I imagine whatever support Xcom 2 has now (never tried with control pad, seems wrong :p), war of the chosen will get the same

Soldato
Long war 2 can vary in length and how many missions you want to do. On legendary most players rush to coil and aim to do golden path missions asap due to the doom clock and ever increasing strength of advent.

On rookie you can take it easy, on my current rookie campaign I am doing about 40 missions between supply drops. I have around 100 soldiers in barracks, 30 of which are msgt, fully teched and just waiting to infiltrate the Forge mission.

It's mid December and doom clock is on 4 pips, I am in total control of this campaign and just want to get it wrapped up.

I feel shinobi with the grim reaper skill is so powerful along with incendiary grenadiers.

I have an "extra special ops" team I keep in reserve for uber short missions I REALLY want to take.
Consists of 2 reaper specced shinobi and a serial snapshot sniper (who also picked up loads of gunslinger abilities in the AWC).
The only thing that slows em down is mutons (as until they're flashbanged they'll generally parry and counter shinobi). They both got hit and run for those occasions (the "flanked shots give a free move after" ability, got them both rocking elite lasersights and the +crit bullet - Talon rounds I think).

I never got the hang of incendiary grenades, the effect area is pretty tiny (unless I'm doing something wrong?). Tend to just go with the... "free shot with a utility" specced grenadiers who otherwise have explosives setup (pretty sure you can take the "no drop damage" and "free shot with a utility" at the same time. Not played in a week or so, forget.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not even close :) Might try to finish a campaign on LW2 before jumping in on this. LW2 is very much a guerilla war simulation, which I really like and think I'll prefer to the superhero soldier thing War of the Chosen seems to have going on.

I've not actually seen my first gatekeeper yet. About... 40 hours in, I think :o
Kept pushing the story missions but it's not going awfully quick.

Soldato
It says partial controller support in steam. I imagine whatever support Xcom 2 has now (never tried with control pad, seems wrong :p), war of the chosen will get the same

I played the first ones on consoles so more conformtable there. Plus try to play everything I can on the 65" 4K TV!

I tried it with the pad, clunkier than using m/kb but would have stuck with it if it had supported vibration effects, but it didn't.

I'm pretty sure it has vibration on xcom 2, maybe hence why it says only partial support. Does everything else work like menus etc just no vibration?

Caporegime
I think when it came out there was no controller support and it was patched in much much later, so that might be why it says partial.

My key isn't available yet on CDKeys! Anyone else?

Edit - Just had this response:

Hi, Apologies for the delay. The codes should still be sent out shortly. You will receive a notification via email once the product key is sent out. Hope this helps.

Soldato
I played the first ones on consoles so more conformtable there. Plus try to play everything I can on the 65" 4K TV!

I'm pretty sure it has vibration on xcom 2, maybe hence why it says only partial support. Does everything else work like menus etc just no vibration?

https://steamcommunity.com/app/268500/discussions/0/1291816880507391529/

Nope, not supported. I do wonder sometimes what goes through the people who code/produce these games.
If you support the pad then include the vibration for goodness sake!

Soldato
I think when it came out there was no controller support and it was patched in much much later, so that might be why it says partial.

My key isn't available yet on CDKeys! Anyone else?

Edit - Just had this response:

Got mine this morning and installing now, 30 GB update. I usually go to the download link via order confirmation E-mail you get when you initially place the order. Link and code is usually available way before I get a follow up E-mail saying the code is ready.

Associate
I wasnt super happy with the pricing but to be honest its such a brilliant franchise, I have just bought it from steam for full price. Very exited........erm 60gb DL? madness

Soldato
Having played the Tutorial and the first two mission, must say I really like some of the changes encountered.
Like the negative traits if some solder seriously was terrible (could use more harsh words) on a mission, and missed 4-5 rounds.

Other positives. More map templates and assets to generate new maps. Also it seems they have improved the performance of the game quite a lot.

Associate
Looks a bit mental!

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/08/29/xcom-2-war-of-the-chosen-single-turn/
Speaking of the latter, here’s a video I made showing just how off-the-chain crazy the various new abilities, weapons and features can be. In the space of a single turn (the first turn of a mission), one soldier covers almost the entire length of the map, ‘wakes’ pretty much every enemy on it, kills around 15 of them, winds up at the main mission objective and then proceeds to take zero damage on the alien turn. Meanwhile, most of his team never even leave their starting position. All in one turn. It’s bonkers. This is War Of The Chosen.

Permabanned
I only played for an hour so but it seems different enough to keep my interest.

Time will tell I guess, one thing that's annoying me with stupidly camera movement during missions, there doesn't seem to be a way to reduce it.

Back
Top Bottom