XCOM 2: War of the Chosen

Associate
Must admit I havn't played LongWar 2. I lost a whole summer to LongWar1 and have 7 month old twins so can't repeat that!

I often buy CD keys but I wanted to support the devs so bought at full price from steam. Perhaps will be more cautious next time, still a lot of fun :)

Caporegime
Anyone else feel that calling this "Xcom 2.5" and that they were considering releasing this as a stand alone game is a bit cheaky? I love XCOM and I don't regret buying the expansions but it feels like a decent piece of DLC, nothing like a whole new game. Considering I paid £35 for it I feel that theyre cashing in a little

I thought it easily deserved the price. There's loads of new content and the new engine has made everything much smoother. It really kicks the game up a notch and gives it a fresh feel. I've already clocked up 50 hours or so on it. Well worth the sticker price, IMO.

Soldato
At first I was thinking I'd be annoyed at the £35 price point, but I've played a load of the game already and enjoyed it hugely. Sure I'll play through again after completing this run too, so pretty confident I'll get £35 of entertainment from it!
The new classes combined with soldiers being able to get skills from other classes is really adding a lot for me right now.

I mentioned the other day I had sent my gunner on a load of missions to improve accuracy. He's a monster now, 90 base accuracy, plus scope and an implant. Plus anything he shoots gets the holo targetting on it. It's insane. I never used to use the gun unless I had no options, but it's so damn effective now. Just need to get him a bigger clip and more free reloads to really make the most of it against the Lost!
His will is pretty awful now though, max of 27. Is there any way to get this to go back up again?

Associate
Chris Bratt of Eurogamer, Jake Solomon XCOM Lead Designer at Firaxis, and Julian Gollop XCOM series creator now at Snapshot discussed the game at EGX yesterday. Here is the video of it.

Soldato
After dragging it out a lot I just completed the game again, final mission ended up being a huge anti-climax. But in a really odd way.

I'm hitting the point where I'm wondering whether I'm about to get overwhelmed and take some huge damage. The aliens all grouped up really close together which was odd, ended up with an Avatar, 3 Mutons, 2 Archons and some Vipers all within a few tiles. Chuck a Psionic Rift on top of them which caused utter chaos as you'd imagine, managed to mind control an Archon too. Expecting to have a bit of fun on the next turn I then realised I hadn't used my Reaper, so I think what the hell - I'll use Banish with Annihilate on the final Avatar. First shot hits, then a second later damage notifications appear on all enemies, everything dies and it immediately cuts to the final cut scenes?! lol

Caporegime
How do you jump straight in to expansion ?
Bought it last night and switched on, seemed like I had to start from the beginning ? had same extract mission as first and same clips of storyline...

The start is pretty similar so you might not have noticed but to check: did you select it in the launcher? (Big buttons, bottom left)

Associate
How do you jump straight in to expansion ?
Bought it last night and switched on, seemed like I had to start from the beginning ? had same extract mission as first and same clips of storyline...

Thanks
There are some subtle changes, you should have noticed at least one of them
The intro video starts differently. With the expansion it starts with a new character giving info to central that triggers the video that leads into the first tutorial mission (where you rescue the commander).
If you did the tutorial (again) your not forced into building a specific facility in a specific spot.
If you do the mission to secure the power core (again think this is tutorial), it has a new more atmospheric map.
If you disabled the generic tutorial options but kept the WoTC tutorial option enabled at some point you will get to do the new WoTC tutorial mission that introduces lots of new stuff. I "think" this is automaticaly triggered as the next mission after you blow up the monument, but its possible there were other missions in between. (not many if there were).

The difference between vanilla and expansion is like the difference between the TV edit of LOTR and the extended directors cut. Its the same film mostly just with lots of extra stuff squashed in. It still starts in the shire and ends with a ring in lava.

Soldato
There are some subtle changes, you should have noticed at least one of them
The intro video starts differently. With the expansion it starts with a new character giving info to central that triggers the video that leads into the first tutorial mission (where you rescue the commander).
If you did the tutorial (again) your not forced into building a specific facility in a specific spot.
If you do the mission to secure the power core (again think this is tutorial), it has a new more atmospheric map.
If you disabled the generic tutorial options but kept the WoTC tutorial option enabled at some point you will get to do the new WoTC tutorial mission that introduces lots of new stuff. I "think" this is automaticaly triggered as the next mission after you blow up the monument, but its possible there were other missions in between. (not many if there were).

The difference between vanilla and expansion is like the difference between the TV edit of LOTR and the extended directors cut. Its the same film mostly just with lots of extra stuff squashed in. It still starts in the shire and ends with a ring in lava.

that looks like it :)
Thanks for that :D

Associate
No mods. Just hit a campaign ending bug on Commander Ironman. 20 hours in and a map with large Lost swarms keeps crashing on the ai turn. Its repeatable and no way around it as I only have the one Ironman save. Not impressed.

Permabanned
No mods. Just hit a campaign ending bug on Commander Ironman. 20 hours in and a map with large Lost swarms keeps crashing on the ai turn. Its repeatable and no way around it as I only have the one Ironman save. Not impressed.

Happening to me too. Playing on Legendary and the swarms are huge, so I'm sat on elevated platforms blocking the ladder hoping they'll chase this Chosen at ground level but they mostly try and find a way up to me. I think I need to stop breaking their path finding.

Associate
Looking for a bit of advice peeps. I'm working my way through the base game (just about to do the Codex Brain Coordinates mission). I was wondering whether to keep going and finish this playthrough before getting War of the chosen, or get War of the Chosen and restart my current game. Or is there an option to get War of the Chosen and keep playing this file?

Thanks!

Soldato
Looking for a bit of advice peeps. I'm working my way through the base game (just about to do the Codex Brain Coordinates mission). I was wondering whether to keep going and finish this playthrough before getting War of the chosen, or get War of the Chosen and restart my current game. Or is there an option to get War of the Chosen and keep playing this file?

Thanks!

The base games is fairly fun, you'll find yourself repeating exactly what you did again with a bit more padding between the missions (I could say "meat between the missions" too - it's not like it's just there as a distraction, it's tangible and nice but... makes the main story longer too).

So... decide if repeating yourself would annoy you or you'd find it fun to use what you learned with more to do/better options.

Soldato
Picked up the expansion in the steam sale last week so about 4 hours in and enjoying it so far. Never really played vanilla xcom 2 for long despite sinking about a hundred hours into the original and buying xcom2 at launch.

Most people seemed to reckon if you're not too far into a vanilla game you should just buy the expansion and restart providing you don't mind the cost.

Soldato
I forgot about this, I’m replaying XCOM 2 now, and it is so brilliant that I will definitely pick up this DLC. It sounds good. Good to know I will have this once I finish 2 again.

Back
Top Bottom