The Manchester United Club Thread **Sponsored by Comedy Central**

Caporegime
Exactly, it's one of those fringe songs that's never actually going to be sung by a full crowd. What they've done is probably the worst thing, raising its profile so more people are aware of it and it'll become a 'funny' or 'cool' thing to sing in the near future...

I mean much worse songs are sang by a lot of the crowd, I don't see why this one wouldn't be.

Soldato
I really don't understand how people can't see (or hear) that the Lukaku song is racist.

It's the equivalent of going up to a random black guy and saying "hello, you must a have a big ****". Not to mention the cultural reasons the association of big penises and black men exist.

It's really, deeply racist. Anyone who doesn't think it is needs to have a good long look at themselves.

That there are worse things sung at football is irrelevant.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I really don't understand how people can't see (or hear) that the Lukaku song is racist.

It's the equivalent of going up to a random black guy and saying "hello, you must a have a big ****". Not to mention the cultural reasons the association of big penises and black men exist.

It's really, deeply racist. Anyone who doesn't think it is needs to have a good long look at themselves.

Thats only because the definition of racism currently is saying anything to someone from another ethnicity to your own that is related to anything other than the weather.

I have very very white skin and people comment on that fact in a joking way. I don't consider that racism. I don't take it as anything other than a joke. Is saying a black guy has a big penis insulting? No. Does it do any harm? No.

Whats more damaging is creating a society where its perfectly acceptable to pull the race card whenever anything you don't like is said. Its creating a generation of utter ***** who genuinely believe that its OK to react violently towards groups that they deem racist or to have views that don't agree with their "correct" world view. We shouldn't accept racism but we also shouldn't look for it everywhere because when you look for it you unsurprisingly see it everywhere.

I have no idea how its OK to brand someone a racist for saying something you decide is unacceptable. You are basically saying that they look down on other races because of the colour of their skin based on your personal opinion that someone said something inappropriate.

Its also usually white people pretending to care and shouting "racism" the loudest. What does that tell you.

Soldato
Thats only because the definition of racism currently is saying anything to someone from another ethnicity to your own that is related to anything other than the weather.

I have very very white skin and people comment on that fact in a joking way. I don't consider that racism. I don't take it as anything other than a joke. Is saying a black guy has a big penis insulting? No. Does it do any harm? No.

Whats more damaging is creating a society where its perfectly acceptable to pull the race card whenever anything you don't like is said. Its creating a generation of utter ***** who genuinely believe that its OK to react violently towards groups that they deem racist or to have views that don't agree with their "correct" world view. We shouldn't accept racism but we also shouldn't look for it everywhere because when you look for it you unsurprisingly see it everywhere.

I have no idea how its OK to brand someone a racist for saying something you decide is unacceptable. You are basically saying that they look down on other races because of the colour of their skin based on your personal opinion that someone said something inappropriate.

Its also usually white people pretending to care and shouting "racism" the loudest. What does that tell you.

What a load of codswallop.

Believe me when I say that saying someone has a big dick because they're black is racist. If you don't think it is, you're both ignorant of the origins of that particular association and you also think it's okay to take the **** out of someone because of their race. Which is, in my book, an act of racism, whatever the intention.

By the way, I've never heard of the very, very white skinned race. That's a new one on me.

Last edited:

fez

fez

Caporegime
If you don't think it is, you're both ignorant of the origins of that particular association and you also think it's okay to take the **** out of someone because of their race.

There we go, assuming that because I don't agree with you that something is racist suddenly means I think its ok to take the **** out of someone because of their race. Its not insulting, its not mean and who is being insulted?

By the way, I've never heard of the very, very white skinned race. That's a new one on me.

Are albinos a race? I assume its OK to make nasty comments about the colours of their skin because they aren't a race.

I'm pretty sure we aren't going to agree on this so I suggest we leave it as is.

Soldato

you also have to consider personal preference (the person that its being said to)

some of that origin WANT to be called black - and prefer it - because anything else is political nonsense (their own phrase)
Others who come from the same cultural background hate the phrase and want to be described as Afro-American or whatever

........obviously in a public setting you have to a lot more observant of everyone - but still believe its a lot of bother about very little

On a lighter note

I take the mickey out of a good friend of mine because he is Scottish, and when he accuses me of racism - my come back is that we are actually the same race , so Im actually being Nationalist if anything
(its all banter anyway - and like a lot of things this kind of thing depends a lot on the tone of voice as much as whats said and to who(m) )

fez

fez

Caporegime
I think you’ve answered your own question. But got it wrong.

They aren't a race.

(its all banter anyway - and like a lot of things this kind of thing depends a lot on the tone of voice as much as whats said and to who(m) )

Thats the problem though. Instead of thinking "they probably didn't mean any harm", the go to reaction is now "racism!". Americans take the **** out of the british for our bad teeth all the time. Who cares.

Soldato
They aren't a race.

No, they're not, but how does that mean it's okay to take the **** out of it?

And if they were, it would be racist. That's part of what racist means.

Thats the problem though. Instead of thinking "they probably didn't mean any harm", the go to reaction is now "racism!". Americans take the **** out of the british for our bad teeth all the time. Who cares.

I don't think you understand why saying blacks have big penises is wrong.

It's not a playground tease.

Man of Honour
OP
Manchester United have asked for CCTV footage in order to identify fans chanting a controversial song about Romelu Lukaku.

So now they're going to ban the whole away end from the game today...?!

Caporegime
Imagine they gave a **** when they sang about people's deaths, rape or paedophile accusations.

Pretty pathetic look for manu pretending to care

Caporegime
The fact that other chants haven't been cracked down on is a terrible argument against cracking down on this particular chant.

But hey, feel free to defend racist chanting if you want.

Defending? I'm pretty sure I haven't said it's an okay chant anywhere?

However it's pretty pathetic they've never done anything to this extent about the intentionally malicious chants towards those outside of the club.

Don't feel free to make stupid assumptions

Soldato
Trusty said:
Also, Sir Alex didn't have any of that experience you mentioned, he was pretty much unknown

Hilarious!

Aberdeen had started the 1979–80 season poorly but their form improved dramatically in the new year and they won the Scottish league that season with a 5–0 win on the final day. It was the first time in 15 years that the league had not been won by either Rangers or Celtic

Ferguson led Aberdeen to even greater success the following season, 1982–83. They had qualified for the European Cup Winners' Cup as a result of winning the Scottish Cup the previous season, and impressively knocked out Bayern Munich,[41][42] who had beaten Tottenham Hotspur 4–1 in the previous round.[43][44] According to Willie Miller, this gave them the confidence to believe that they could go on to win the competition,[45] which they did, with a 2–1 victory over Real Madrid in the final on 11 May 1983.[46] Aberdeen became only the third Scottish team to win a European trophy and Ferguson now felt that "he'd done something worthwhile with his life".[47] This was followed up with victory in the European Super Cup in December 1983, when Hamburger SV, the reigning European Cupchampions, were beaten 2–0 over two legs.

Ferguson was appointed an Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in the 1985 New Year Honours,[52][53] and was offered the managers' jobs at Rangers and Arsenal during the season.

Multiple domestic trophies and multiple european trophies...and this was at a time scottish fitba wasnt as **** as it is today...He did all that before.....Man United era... but yeah an "unknown" :p

Soldato
That's why I said 'pretty much'. I'm well aware of his win over Real Madrid, I've seen the match. It was that European campaign that led to Man U hiring Fergie, although he was Scottish manager during the WC after, Fergie was still considered a gamble at the time. A gamble that paid off though

Soldato
I can't believe some fans think the Lukaku thing is ok. The end of the argument is that he has asked it to stop, so he clearly is uncomfortable about it so it has to end.

I could kind of understand the "banter" argument if he was getting involved in it and encouraging it but e clearly isn't.

Anyone caught deserves a stadium ban, they can "banter" with their ilk out of the public eye then.

Caporegime
The thing about lukaku is that he seems to be either fluffing a lot of chances or hitting them at the keeper and then putting in the rebound. Very few of his finishes have been clean good strikes. Hopefully this can change as the season wears on, as not every keeper is going to fumble his shots straight back to him.

Is morata looking better value? He's more technically giftEd for sure.

Back
Top Bottom