Sennheiser HD650 - The classic beauty in a grey dress Appreciation thread!

Associate
So ive Decided to op for the Shures 1540's. After listening to them in RS and been impressed by them there the one's for me good clean tight bass and good vocals and a decent soundstage for a closed back slightly more then the HD650's but i feel the Sennheiser how good it might be would let me down in some way and without giving a audition would be a risk to take without buying online and if not happy would be hassle sending back exc

Man of Honour
I've ended up ordering the official pads today. The cheap pads are good, but I'm finding the outer ring of my ears rest too much on the leather bit behind the foam and become slightly annoying over long sessions. Something I did not experience when they were out of the box. Now they are worn in a bit it's clear the cheap ones aren't up to the standard of the official ones.

£37 for official ones :/

Man of Honour
Seems Sennheiser chuck in MAOAM with purchases, neat.

Also, I did not need to buy the foam inserts for 50p each, the ear[pads come with them! Don't recall seeing any indication stating as such when ordering :/

Ah well, spare foam...

Associate
I hate the stock HD650 pads, they're so small and uncomfortable for my ears, my ear lobes hit against the inner parts of the cup. I just removed the plastic retention ring and use it with a pair of Brainwavz HM5 velour pads now, comfort went up a few notches while the sound didn't change much (+ to soundstange, + to lows, - to upper mids).

Associate
It's the Massdrop version of the HD650, they're supposed to be a cheaper version.
I got my HD650 when they were £230 at a different retailer so I got a good deal. Weird thing is that they're made in Ireland, but the prices here are way too high for them.

Associate
I got some Chinese pads for ~£9 shipped from Ali and they're exactly like the stock ones :p
The stock Sennheiser ones are wayyy overpriced, I think they should at least have some memory foam at that price instead of the 1980's couch foam Sennheiser uses.

Caporegime
I got some Chinese pads for ~£9 shipped from Ali and they're exactly like the stock ones :p
The stock Sennheiser ones are wayyy overpriced, I think they should at least have some memory foam at that price instead of the 1980's couch foam Sennheiser uses.
Yeah I agree that you can get cheaper and they are probably decent, but OEM stuff will always be that kind of price and at least it takes the trial and error out of it. :)

Associate
That's true, with the Sennheiser ones you at least for sure get ones that will work well with the headphones, with knock-offs you run the risk of them being of shoddy quality. I may have gotten lucky I admit.

But if you have a pair of old, used up pair of pads, remove the retention ring and try using some Brainwavz HM5 velour.

Soldato
all 3rd party pads alter the sound signature and that's what this headphone is revered for, mess with the signature and you ruin the experience.

£37 is no too much in my view, AKG K712 pads are more than double that.

Man of Honour
Come on how is that overpriced? They are one of the most important part of the headphone and were engineered specifically for it. You will get another couple of years use out of it. :p

Ah I'd accept the price if they were memory foam like on the Fidelio cans and AKG K7XX (which are all cheaper than the HD650). I expect premium materials for premium prices!

The cheaper ones are almost as good, but not quite.

Back
Top Bottom