QLED vs OLED

Associate
Hi all,

Thinking of buying a new TV. It must be 4K and 55inch in size.

I was over at John Lewis during the weekend and saw the Samsung QLED TV's which looked fantastic but the salesman tried to persuade me to go for a Panasonic OLED as he said it was newer technology for less the price than QLED. However the picture quality just looked awful compared to the samsung from my eye.

Anyone know in a nutshell what the difference between OLED and QLED is and which would be the better one to go for?

Thanks

Associate
I'm not entirely sure what the difference in specification differences are, but if I recall rightly, I remember Linus and Unbox Therapy mentioning that LG's OLED is better then its competitors. I'll leave it for others to put in their input; however google is also your friend :p

Soldato
OLED is organic LED
QLED is the usual LCD screen, with Quantum Dot backlit LED's.

Typically LCD will have more light output, but you don't need retina burning brightness levels in the typical living room.

OLED has apparently better picture quality- and the best blacks.

Associate
QLED will look better in a brightly lit store. Take them both home and the OLED will look much better, particularly in a low light environment. QLED is basically a Samsung marketing technique to make their Qunatum Dot TVs appear to be a credible alternative to an OLED.

Permabanned
QLED will look better in a brightly lit store. Take them both home and the OLED will look much better, particularly in a low light environment. QLED is basically a Samsung marketing technique to make their Qunatum Dot TVs appear to be a credible alternative to an OLED.

^^ this...

I went from 55" KS8000 QLED -> 65" LG B7 OLED and couldn't be happier.

The reports of brightness not reaching high levels are from older sets. The 2017 models are more than bright enough (brighter than my 50" Panasonic GT30 plasma).

Soldato
Was the whole fuss about the the OLED brightness not down to the screens clipping a lot of very bright content in HDR?

Which I might add firmware updates came after most reviews which reduced the problem quite substantially.

Permabanned
Not certain of the finer detail, just know that it's no longer an issue.

Mine is certainly bright enough to make me squint at times when something bright comes on screen in HDR content.

It's not quite as bright as the QLED was, but it doesn't need to be... that QLED was blinding when watching in the evening, to the point of being painfully bright at times.

IIRC, the QLED was 1000 nits and this is 700 nits... both of which are a heck of a lot brighter than my old Plasma.

Associate
OP
Thanks all for your replies makes much more sense now. I think I may try and demo two somewhere like Richer Sounds to get a feel for it. Sounds likely that in a lower lit room it would look more better the OLED. When I was in-store it was very bright in there so that's why the Panasonic probably looked poor.

Soldato
^^ this...

I went from 55" KS8000 QLED -> 65" LG B7 OLED and couldn't be happier.

The reports of brightness not reaching high levels are from older sets. The 2017 models are more than bright enough (brighter than my 50" Panasonic GT30 plasma).
If it's an old plasma, don't they lose they're brightness over time?

Soldato

That sums it up nicely.

Soldato
Ok fair enough.

I just think it would be more helpful to compare QLED and OLED TV's to the levels of brightness of say near recent LED/LCD TV's rather than a tech which, although very good in many ways, isn't the best comparison when speaking about brightness specifically.

Back
Top Bottom