QLED vs OLED

Associate
OP
Has anyone got a LG OLED55B7V 55inch OLED TV? That is the same price as the SAMSUNG QE55Q7FAM 55inch QLED TV which is at £1799.

The LG reviews look good. Is it a no brainer to go for the LG? I've never used a LG TV before, not sure how good they actually are.

Soldato
Has anyone got a LG OLED55B7V 55inch OLED TV? That is the same price as the SAMSUNG QE55Q7FAM 55inch QLED TV which is at £1799.

The LG reviews look good. Is it a no brainer to go for the LG? I've never used a LG TV before, not sure how good they actually are.

I have one, cracking set, go with the reviews. Buy from a company that provides a 5 year warranty, not Argos lol

Soldato
And yet the Samsung is better than the Sony :p

was not quite sure what you meant

did you dip into video I linked discussing sonys 'colour voliume', 'sdr->hdr' tech, 'dispelling myths on local dimming/fald benefits' ?
It was the xe9 not xd9 discussed in the other thread, my error.
- got to love all these reductions Currys list for xe
  • 4K Ultra HD HDR
  • Catch-up & 4K Streaming with Android
  • Picture quality: Motionflow XR 1000 Hz
  • Tuner: Freeview HD with YouView
  • Connectivity: HDMI 2.0 x 4
  • FREE Sony CT290 wireless soundbar available when you buy this TV More info
  • £100 off the marked price of this TV when you purchase using Your Plan flexible credit More info
  • Claim £150 cashback when you buy this 4K TV with a broadband & TV package More info

if you hadn't seen rting review http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/qled-q7f-q7 ..they're on samsungs case ?

For most people, the Sony X930E is a better buy over the Q7F. It gets much brighter, which is good for HDR, but also has a much better local dimming feature. It cannot display quite as large of a color volume, but the overall performance is better than the Q7F

We have contacted Samsung, and they say that our unit is out of spec due to the relatively low peak brightness measurements. We will continue to investigate and update the review as we obtain more information.

Update 03/10/2017: We've ordered another unit. We will test it, verify the results and update the review.

Update 03/15/2017: We bought another Q7F from Amazon and measured the viewing angle, contrast and brightness of this new TV. All of these results are in the same ballpark as our original findings.

Very happy with with my year old B6. No loss in picture quality or brightness. Only OLED for me from now.
re-posting the patents and circuitry to control ageing are comprehensive compared to led
with a ten year guarantee I would consider the proposition, otherwise, a topical analogy with the Rutger Hauer's character in blade runner comes to mind ".. time to die"

Associate
OP
I have one, cracking set, go with the reviews. Buy from a company that provides a 5 year warranty, not Argos lol

Lol. I’d only buy it from John Lewis, Curry’s or Richer Sounds. May wait till around Xmas time to see if price drops down a bit.

Permabanned
Do Samsung make the cameras that record the stuff you're actually watching. Or master it?

Do LG?

Do Hisense?

Errr...

And? Display tech is different from recording tech. Display standards are publicly available and comprehensible. it's been a long time since Sony were at the top of the TV market, although they were for a while, especially in the earlier days of 1080p LCDs.

was not quite sure what you meant

did you dip into video I linked discussing sonys 'colour voliume', 'sdr->hdr' tech, 'dispelling myths on local dimming/fald benefits' ?
It was the xe9 not xd9 discussed in the other thread, my error.
- got to love all these reductions Currys list for xe

if you hadn't seen rting review http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/qled-q7f-q7 ..they're on samsungs case ?

re-posting the patents and circuitry to control ageing are comprehensive compared to led
with a ten year guarantee I would consider the proposition, otherwise, a topical analogy with the Rutger Hauer's character in blade runner comes to mind ".. time to die"

Well... the Samsung is already too bright, so the Sony being able to go brighter is nothing to brag about. The Samsung offers a much more pleasing to the eye image quality.

Soldato
And? Display tech is different from recording tech. Display standards are publicly available and comprehensible. it's been a long time since Sony were at the top of the TV market, although they were for a while, especially in the earlier days of 1080p LCDs.

I don't know what relative value of the recording market and display market is, but Sony, like Panasonic can share hardware(chip-design) technqiues between the two domains.
(real time hevc encode is tough, if you invested in the hardware design for that , can share some elements with decode)
Since the new Sony CEO started, they are trying (succeeding imhop) to restore Japanese quality label.

remember this, another example (its like the VW emissions scandal )
Sony 4K algorithms: this final feature is a sweetener focused on giving Sony 4K TV owners a better experience with these discs than any other 4K TV owners. Being part of the same family, Sony Pictures and Sony Bravia have shared proprietary algorithm information to give the best possible upscaling performance on these films. Sony 4K televisions will be able to identify a "mastered in 4K" disc and use an upscaling algorithm based on the same formula used at Sony Pictures to downscale the film from 4K to HD. This secret sauce is likely to give a Sony TV the edge over other TVs that must use less-specific algorithms to upscale the content.
recent comment that apparently 4k football next year will be exclusively sky and sony(freesat) tv's - that could sell some TV's

Well... the Samsung is already too bright, so the Sony being able to go brighter is nothing to brag about. The Samsung offers a much more pleasing to the eye image quality.
you need brightness, with colour distinction too -see the utube video
(If you audtion tv's - which is the best 4k material to look at both dark and bright 'rendering' ?)

37890790176_1e643d1790_o_d.jpg

Soldato
Is anyone using a new Panasonic OLED?

My local store is doing a £500 trade in on some old TV's but when I had a quick look at the TV last week it didn't look amazing.

The colours looked quite flat, not bright and there was something about the motion that I didn't like. I'm not sure if it was just the setup, they were using Sky Q as their input.

Associate
Is anyone using a new Panasonic OLED?

My local store is doing a £500 trade in on some old TV's but when I had a quick look at the TV last week it didn't look amazing.

The colours looked quite flat, not bright and there was something about the motion that I didn't like. I'm not sure if it was just the setup, they were using Sky Q as their input.

I've looked at all the OLED's (55") side by side with the same source and the Panasonic always looks the best out of all the sets. If it wasn't for lack of Dolby Vision and the terrible OS, I'd buy it over the LG's. Best looking 55" OLED too IMO, closely followed by the bonkers expensive Sony A1.

Soldato
I've looked at all the OLED's (55") side by side with the same source and the Panasonic always looks the best out of all the sets. If it wasn't for lack of Dolby Vision and the terrible OS, I'd buy it over the LG's. Best looking 55" OLED too IMO, closely followed by the bonkers expensive Sony A1.

Which model Panasonic did you see? I don't have the option of seeing them side by side unfortunately.

Is the lack of Dolby Vision a big disadvantage?

Associate
There's a very good reason OLED doesn't "do" bright. Image retention of static Logos on most TV broadcasts.

They don't go as bright but they're certainly bright TVs, it isn't an issue unless we're talking an unusual environment (i.e. a brightly lit store). It's also worth considering because they can do blacks so well the high contrast makes a bright white stand out that much more than it would have on an LCD.

Fine if all you want to do is watch Despicable Me 3 or something in 4k on a USB stick on repeat but if you want to use an OLED as a normal TV? Well Good luck with that.

Shoo shoo, back under your bridge.

Associate
Which model Panasonic did you see? I don't have the option of seeing them side by side unfortunately.

Is the lack of Dolby Vision a big disadvantage?

It was the 55EZ952B OLED. Seriously impressive image quality, great colours and the motion seemed just a bit smoother than the LG's, very similar to the Sony A1 overall but just looked a bit "sharper".

I don't know on Dolby Vision, seems to be more of a future proofing feature for my type of use, but read any reviews, the Panasonic always get great feedback on "out of the box" image quality and only loses out in reviews due to the OS and lack on Dolby Vision compatibility. For image quality it's the best of the 55" OLED's I've seen, I'll still be buying a B7 though.

Soldato
It was the 55EZ952B OLED. Seriously impressive image quality, great colours and the motion seemed just a bit smoother than the LG's, very similar to the Sony A1 overall but just looked a bit "sharper".

I don't know on Dolby Vision, seems to be more of a future proofing feature for my type of use, but read any reviews, the Panasonic always get great feedback on "out of the box" image quality and only loses out in reviews due to the OS and lack on Dolby Vision compatibility. For image quality it's the best of the 55" OLED's I've seen, I'll still be buying a B7 though.

Interesting, I'm going to take a drive to a larger store about 60 miles from me so i can see a wider range I think.

Out of interest why would your get the B7 if the Panasonic is the best you've seen?

Soldato
Is there any evaluation of what the benefit of DV is versus HDR, on an oled, since you do not have a backlight to change ?

Per the HDTVtest, Vincents opinion (and pictures, as much as utube SDR could show) is that the tone mapping on the Pan is better, for the discs he reviewed
as you say you pay more for the Pan though.

Associate
DV content? I'd be interested to see a list of all the current discs /physical media that I could buy tomorrow that had Doleby Vision onboard.

Not interested in compressed streaming.

Serious question.

Back
Top Bottom